Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #21
CedarCreekWoody

When I lived on the Gulf coast we've had the schools close because of heavy frosf.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #22
dutchmensport

I lived in the foot hills of North Carolina in the late 1970's and early 1980's. One winter they called for snow.... like .... 1/4 inch. Everything shut down. Now, I'm from Indiana and thought, how ridiculous. Well, after the snow ended, I decided to go for a drive. Actually, at the time, I was a substitute school teacher and got a call that same morning for the day job. So, I went. Well. I never made it either. I found out why everything shuts down in the mountains and foot hills of North Carolina when a few flakes of snow hit the ground.... It's because roads get slick and cars go off the side of mountains! I didn't go off a mountain, I ended up in the middle of a basin. A local farmer pulled me out with his farm tractor. No damage at all to my car. But my pride sure was hurt.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #23
locomech

All this talk about snow brings back memories of when I grew up on the south side of Chicago in the 60’s. I lived a block away from the high school and was sent home in 1967 after a storm dumped 2 ft. of snow on us. People were abandoning their vehicles on the street, and I remember the neighborhood kids looting a beer truck that the driver abandoned. As I got older I always wanted a four wheel drive truck but always declined the option because of the cost compared to how many times I would actually use it. I finally got my four wheel drive truck and live north of Chicago up near the Cheddar Curtain (Wisconsin state line). We still get a considerable amount of snow each year, but seldom enough to use the four wheel drive. If you know how to drive in the snow you won’t need it in most cases, but in a mountainous or open area it would be a must have. I chuckle when I hear of places that close down after three or four inches of the white stuff, but then when you have a lot of people trying to get to work or school at the same time it gets stressful. Snow should only be legal on mountain tops.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #24
jimborokz

5 or 6 years ago we were wintering north of Atlanta. There was snow in the forecast two days in advance, but they didn't close schools because it wasn't expected till the afternoon. Well, it arrived early around noon, and they decided to close and by the time the buses were ready to go there was about 2" on the ground. Around the same time all the office workers decided they'd better go home. Well, everyone hit the loop at the same time and packed that snow down to glare ice and no one could move, and the salt trucks couldn't reach them either. Some school kids actually spent the night on buses or at homes of people living near exits. It was a nightmare. We sat in our RV watching it on TV with our 4WD sitting outside. I could have gotten around but was afraid of the other drivers on the road.
Fast forward a couple years and again there was snow in the forecast, and they announced two days in advance that the schools would be closed. Hard lesson learned.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #25
Pull Toy

That's why it is called WEATHER... You have to wait till tomorrow to see "WEATHER" they got it right!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #26
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
All the posts about the weather predictions just validate my decision many years ago to drop out of the meteorology program and take up water and wastewater treatment instead. Never wanted to be the most hated person at a picnic!
But, being a weatherman is the only profession that you can be wrong 99.9% of the time and still go home with a paycheck every week and not worry about getting fired.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #27
rhagfo

I think it is all about the fear of litigation if they don’t close things down. When I was in high school in the late 60’s, we had about 6” of snow in western Washington, and we still had school and the buses still ran.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #28
Gumby52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It seems to me that the more we move toward "total accessibility" the further from understanding or realizing what we've really got on our hands.

I clicked on the "Microsoft Weather Forecast" for our area just now. It shows the current temperature at 6F. Right under that, Microsoft "declares" that the low tonight will be 8F.... Since it's dark outside, it's already "tonight" and it's already colder than 8F... DUH !!!! Then, to add "insult to injury" Microsoft goes on to declare that we can "expect temps below freezing".... ANOTHER DUH !!!!!

Maybe this can help explain why we have 8 warning stickers on a 6' extension cord and a warning on every WalMart bag that the bags can cause "suffocation if placed over one's head"....
John - I think you missed the best one Current temp of 6 and a real feel of 4?
Don't know about anyone else, but they're both friggin cold to me. Just sayin...

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #29
Lindyn

I pay no attention to the weather, not a darn thing I can do about it. Never run our buy milk, and of course toilet paper. There is nothing "Man" and for sure Government can do about the weather. The weather has been changing since even before weather records have been kept. It will continue to change Government is coming after your money, take the money out of the equation and the weather will continue. Thats what weather does. Regardless of those Global warming warming predictions. "Load the Wagon, don't worry about the MULE".

Happy trails.
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote