Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
Libtough

Propane Detector Issue

Hi, my husband checked the propane detector on our Passport 175 BH which seemed to not be working. Turned on the bathroom light switch and it began to work. Apparently, the only time it works is if you're in the bathroom so it's not very safe. The power to the unit is hooked up wrong so check yours out, just to be safe.
Libtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
travelin texans

Curious?
How are you testing it?
It should be wired directly to the batteries, no switch.
You didn't state what rv or the age, those detectors are dated on the back & are only good for 4-5 years before they require replacement.
They will also chirp if the batteries are low.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
Libtough

Propane Detector Issue

Hi. Sorry about that. I realized I had not named my trailer etc after I posted. We own a Keystone Passport 175 BH purchased in 2019 and has been only used for one long trip and 2 small ones. My husband was just months away from being a journeyman electrician so he knows how to check. He used a volt meter but kept getting weird readings. He then noticed it worked when the Bathroom light switch got turned on and it wouldn't when the switch was turned off. We know it was not working for most of those trips because we always leave the lights off. We also never heard a chirp. My husband found that it was wired to the bathroom light first and then to the switch and then to the detector. Wrong in so many ways. He knows how to rewire it properly as you said, directly to the battery. I hope people will check to make sure all is right in their units.
Have a great day!!!
Libtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

I don't think you will hear a chirp unless you have either a propane leak or the battery is going dead. This propane detector should be wired directly to the battery and will kill you battery if you don't have a battery charger on when the trailer is not in use or you are not plugged into shore power. It takes about a week or so for the battery to loose charge sufficiently for the annoying chirping to start. I can say this with a high degree of certainty (I learned the lesson).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I don't think you will hear a chirp unless you have either a propane leak or the battery is going dead. This propane detector should be wired directly to the battery and will kill you battery if you don't have a battery charger on when the trailer is not in use or you are not plugged into shore power. It takes about a week or so for the battery to loose charge sufficiently for the annoying chirping to start. I can say this with a high degree of certainty (I learned the lesson).

A little off point but speaking of a chirping propane detector;

Set up in Fredericksburg, TX got inside getting everything going. Just about done and that dang detector started howling (not the dead battery chirp) - enough to make your eyes bug out, pull your hair and neighbors to come to your door.

Now I had just had eye surgery on both eyes and couldn't see squat in front of me. Pulled it off the wall, looked to unplug it (hardwired), squeezed it blindly and whacked it....nothing but squalling. DW was getting a bit aggravated so I fished around in my pocket, pulled out my Squirt Leatherman and cut one of the leads....ahhh, blessed quiet. Went out to get my stuff to repair the wire, pulled out the drawers so I could get to it inside the cabinet, crawled down/in there and started putting it back together. During this I asked DW to hand me a set of reading glasses I had bought due to my newfound lack of sight. Made the last connection and the howling commenced; what the heck? (not exactly what I said). Crawled around to the front where the detector was, glasses now on my head, and what's right there on the front left side? A BUTTON that I can now see says "test/reset"! "Test/reset"? Right there? With crystal clear vision I depressed that button...VOILA! No more noise!! Just to say that they can go off "just because" apparently.

Sorry for the diversion OP but the detector, chirp etc. kind of brought up that recent memory. Hoping your husband finds it an easy task to rewire that detector...heck there might even be a wire inside there that the guys putting it together overlooked.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Hmmm. Good to know the detector is loud enough to get your attention. I had never heard one prior and thought perhaps the low battery chirp was it. That wouldn't wake me if I was sleeping soundly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Some floor cleaning products have been known to set LP alarms off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Some floor cleaning products have been known to set LP alarms off.
As have dogs that eat beans and curl up under the detector for a nap.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:41 AM   #9
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As have dogs that eat beans and curl up under the detector for a nap.....
This sounds like the voice of experience.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
This sounds like the voice of experience.
Yep, GWP who loves "people food" but only gets it when we're pheasant hunting... His "preferred sleeping place is in front of the stove, directly under the power center and between two floor heat vents. He stays warm, and the "people food" gives him the ability to "offer free gas to his humans" (along with an occasional "chirping propane detector).....

The first few times it happened, I really thought we had either a leak or a malfunction. Then I moved his bed to another corner and it never happened again. Next hunting season, same chirping, moved his bed and it stopped... After a couple of "adult beverage analytical sessions" we jointly determined that when he sleeps in front of the detector it chirps and when he sleeps elsewhere it doesn't chirp... That's scientific enough for me LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Also had this experience with one of our dogs years ago. Another "activating agent" are spray can propellants like (butane) hairspray.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #12
travelin texans

Lysol air freshener would set it off every time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, safety, switch, wiring