Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
Freder

Power cord

The season in northern Minnesota is over for me. So I disconnected my 30 amp plug in and the one prong was black from what appeared to be arcing and you can see the marks on the prong from the arcing. The actual prong bedding plastic was melted. Now we did use the AC for about a week this summer. Otherwise I would say nothing out of the ordinary use. Also our RV park lost power once this summer, wind storm. No hints over the summer that something was not correct. Like lights flickering or dimming.

So my question, would you expect the problem to be with and old plug in pedestal or something bad with the plug in. While the existing plug in may work fine, with some cleaning of the one prong, I am going to change it out to be on the safe side.
Fred
Freder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I would replace that plug on the cable (or the cable). Your issue may be (have been) a worn out receptacle. Are you still plugged into it? If in a commercial park they see lots of use and abuse. Many I've used were very loose. For that reason I use an 18" sacrificial extension cable that I can replace when those types of situations eat it up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
Freder

No, its unplugged for the season. The RV Park is going to have its end checked out. Which I expect them to find just what you mentioned. Now to figure out which new end to buy.
Freder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freder View Post
The season in northern Minnesota is over for me. So I disconnected my 30 amp plug in and the one prong was black from what appeared to be arcing and you can see the marks on the prong from the arcing. The actual prong bedding plastic was melted. Now we did use the AC for about a week this summer. Otherwise I would say nothing out of the ordinary use. Also our RV park lost power once this summer, wind storm. No hints over the summer that something was not correct. Like lights flickering or dimming.

So my question, would you expect the problem to be with and old plug in pedestal or something bad with the plug in. While the existing plug in may work fine, with some cleaning of the one prong, I am going to change it out to be on the safe side.
Fred
I like sourdoughs 18” sacrificial plug idea….do you have a permanently mounted ems?
If not then you should be using a plugin ems.

Also you should be plugging in to the pedestal with the breaker off at the pedestal…after it’s plugged in you can turn it on. This will prevent arcing

Tags
power