Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
Texas Steve

Front Siding Hail Damage

On a recent trip back from Colorado, we ran into a nasty hail storm in New Mexico and with no where to hide, the front aluminum siding of my trailer got beat up pretty bad. We are thinking of upgrading the trailer in the not to distant future and am wondering if I should spend the money fixing it, insurance claim it, or sell it as is? Obviously I want to get as much for it as possible.

I am trying to ballpark a cost for replacing the 5 pieces of siding and possibly the decals of a 2018 Hideout LHS 202. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Do you not want to use your insurance? That would probably be the easiest, quickest way to get it fully repaired. Just be sure you want them to do it before you call them or you will end up like I did once and they zapped me with a "claim" for the records even though I didn't use them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
Texas Steve

That is my thought also about the insurance. We just changed to Geico a few months back, and really don't want to submit a claim. If it is not a significant sum of money, then we may pay out of pocket for the repairs.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've filed one claim on my RV which is with Geico and they were just fantastic. My rates weren't affected at all (blowout - 7k). I don't know that a hail incident would make your rates go up. Just had the roof replaced on this house due to hail and the agent "indicated" that hail was sort of an "act of God" type thing and you didn't get a hickey for it - my takeaway from the comments.

The panels won't be cheap I suspect and there will be some work to do if you choose to do it yourself. You would need to weigh how you wanted to approach it but I wouldn't worry much about Geico from my experiences with them over the last umpteen years.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Any "remove and replace" on a travel trailer exterior is going to be "a significant sum of money".... My guess is that you're looking at well over $2500 and likely closer to $4000. Just the decals and installation on the decals will be nearly $1000, if ordered from Keystone and done in a professional repair shop.

Now, the issue comes with "your judgement on the amount of damage" and a "RV appraiser's judgement" What you might think is "insignificant" might be "their yes/no decision on whether they'll even accept it in trade" or they may well say, "What? That little bit of damage? No problem"...

I'd urge you to talk with an RV appraiser, whether it's at an RV dealership or an independent RV repair facility and get their opinion on what you're facing. Then, you can make an "educated decision" on what steps to take. It may be an "insurance claim and take the lumps that come with it" or it may be a "leave it alone, it won't increase the value if you repair it" kind of situation....

Talk to a "local expert" and see what they suggest.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
Texas Steve

Thanks guys! will start with an appraiser and then decide if it is out of pocket or insurance route.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Thanks guys! will start with an appraiser and then decide if it is out of pocket or insurance route.
If the damage doesn't affect function, my deciding would be based on my deductible. I had the entire roof on my old Cougar replaced with an RVArmor roof and Progressive paid almost all of it; my deductible was pretty low.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
travelin texans

Several years ago my 5-6 year old aluminum sided RV got hailed on, contacted my insurance, they gave me 2 options; #1 have it repaired, don't recall that amount, but was significant or #2 take $XXXX check for cosmetic damages. I chose #2 & traded that dimpled darling about 6 months later, dealer never said a thing about the hail damage.
Now to preface that story! We lived in the Texas panhandle where there weren't too many used, or even barely used, aluminum sided RVs that DID NOT have hail damage to some extent.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage