Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #1
ronheater70

Timbren Suspension Enhancement System

We sold our 2019 Cougar 369BHS fifth wheel and our bringing home a new one this weekend. While the total weight is only about 500lbs more unloaded, the hitch weight is about 600 pounds more due to it being front living. So I do have payload available by the numbers, But Im looking for a little extra something to help with possible sag. It did perfect with the Cougar, but the extra 600 pounds or so will probably make it a little low in the back.
I looked at Airbags, my son runs those on his welding rig.. But while researching the airbags I saw the System I mentioned above and it got very favorable reviews, so just curious if anyone here is running the system and what they thought. It essentially replaces the bumpstops with a system so unloaded it shouldnt change ride quality.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
KimNTerry

I use the Timbren SES on my setup. It is a completely passive system. There when you need it, out of the way when you don't. Mine took about 20 minutes to install and no special tools or jacks required. You can also look at Sumo Springs similar setup with different materials and different load ratings as well. I had bags on a previous truck, glad I'm not fiddling with air now.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
travelin texans

I've had Timbren & Sumo, get the Sumo, the ride seems less harsh than the Timbren.
I've also air bags which in my opinion is the best option, but ONLY if you get the onboard compressor with remote switch that can be adjusted on the fly, otherwise they can be a bit of a hassle inflating/deflating separately.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
Stircrazy

I would go with timbrens, they are not enguaged when you are unloaded so your ride is factory, but when you are loaded they are enguaged which goves you better support. when you see people complaining about there ride its normaly because they are not installed properly or the trailer they have is to lite to need them and they are not enguaged when they are hooked up.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
I would go with timbrens, they are not enguaged when you are unloaded so your ride is factory, but when you are loaded they are enguaged which goves you better support. when you see people complaining about there ride its normaly because they are not installed properly or the trailer they have is to lite to need them and they are not enguaged when they are hooked up.

Steve
It's almost impossible to install the Timbrens or Sumos incorrectly!! Pry the old bump stops out, soap up the new ones & pop them in, pretty tough to do incorrectly, I've installed both! If not installed correctly they'll just fall out at some point & you won't ever notice til you crawl under the truck.
Unloaded when hitting pot holes, speed bumps or the wonderful bridge/overpass transitions across the country the suspension will collapse suddenly slamming down on the bump stops, this is when I noticed the Timbrens to be more harsh than the Sumos & much more than the air bags, all installed correctly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
lunge motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post

Steve
An inaccurate assumption...

Here is a post I made in 2018

Shortly after purchasing my 5th wheel it was clear that the truck needed some help. I did some research and decided to go with the Timbren rubber bump stop replacements. After 2 years and probably 15k miles I'm happy to have taken them off. Yes they did limit the excess sag at the rear axle and the truck rode level. But once they engaged they were brutally harsh. They felt like the rear axle was bottoming out onto a very dense piece of rubber rather than a soft progressive spring. They absolutely degraded the ride of the truck. I replaced them with Air Lift 7500XL air springs which was a remarkable improvement. I chose the 7500 large diameter bags because I could run a lower pressure in the bags and achieve the required ride height adjustment with a softer cushion effect. So if anyone is interested the Timbrens are listed in the classifieds on this and one other forum...cheap!

Cheers
Old 08-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
KimNTerry

well just like springs, there are different ratings. get them too stiff (too high of a rating) and they may be more harsh when loaded. Mine ride fine when engaged.

It is possible to install incorrectly. Mine were bolt on and come with a spacer. Some axles are closer than others and the spacer should not be used. My truck being 4x4 has more space between the bump stop and the axle so I used the spacer. Whichever you choose, follow the instructions mine said to ensure at least 1 inch between the timbren and the axle when unloaded.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It's almost impossible to install the Timbrens or Sumos incorrectly!! Pry the old bump stops out, soap up the new ones & pop them in, pretty tough to do incorrectly, I've installed both! If not installed correctly they'll just fall out at some point & you won't ever notice til you crawl under the truck.
Unloaded when hitting pot holes, speed bumps or the wonderful bridge/overpass transitions across the country the suspension will collapse suddenly slamming down on the bump stops, this is when I noticed the Timbrens to be more harsh than the Sumos & much more than the air bags, all installed correctly.
actualy there is, they have different pices so that you install it so it is 1" away from the bumpstop. I put them on my older 99 superduty, never had an issue with potholes or such, maybe I was lucky . I had air bags on my older truck, wouldnt ever recomend thoes for a stock truck.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:44 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

We have the Timbrens, as do a few others in our family. I like that they are an easy install and don’t impact ride quality at all when installed correctly with the proper spacing set. My truck has a 2” rake unloaded (rear sits 2” higher than front), and with camper attached, it sits level with the right amount of compression on the Timbrens.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote