Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
PauliWalnuts

F150 vs F250 Towing experiences

I have a Keystone Outback 292 RL which has a max weight of 9500lbs and an overall length of 33ft. We aren't loaded that heavy but likely in the 8000 lbs range. My original tow vehicle was a 2021 F150 Lariat with the max tow package and 5.0 engine. I put about 7k miles of which approx 1000 were towing through Virginia and Tennessee so not flat but not really mountainous like Colorado. The towing performance was good I never felt it was overloaded. Never experienced any sway and definitely passed a number of semis on 2 lane road. The engine would rev to 3-4k on steep uphills but nothing that I would be concerned about. I do have an equalizer anti-sway load balancing hitch. The only bad thing was that in that 7000 miles I added 4 qts of oil. On research apparently that is an issue with the 5.0.

Rather than deal with the dealer on the oil burning issue and because they are giving an insane amount on trades, I decided to trade it in. I ended up getting more than what I paid for my F150 and a decent deal on a new F250 Lariat with the diesel.

After putting the requisite 1000 miles on the new F250 and setting up the equalizer hitch off we went. I will say that the front of the truck was raised only 1" without any weight distribution applied which is a lot less than I would have expected. As for how it actually tows, I can honestly say other than the RPMs being a lot lower on the diesel which I think has more to do with the gas vs diesel, that I didn't notice much difference. I know I was near the text book max on the 150 so I expected a much better towing experience with the F250 but have to say I think that both vehicles are capable.

From a longevity perspective I would think that the F250 will outlive the F150 but I think that has more to do with the diesel. Sorry for the long post, but I thought I might give some real world experience of towing with both a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck with the same trailer same setup. The other realization that I have come to is that the 1/2 tons today while they certainly have their limits are quite capable of safely towing near the limits with the proper setup.
PauliWalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
rwreuter

Good write up!
rwreuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, tow, towing