Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
nellie1289

Is it ok to leave it with wheels off ground in auto level

I am storing my trailer on a resorts property for a week while i fly home. I put it in the storage parking spot, the spot is sloped some from one side to the other. I auto leveled it and on one of the sides the wheels are slightly off the ground <1/2". My question is can i leave it like that or should i put some blocks under that sides wheels then auto level again. I figure its better to leave the unit flat than have it sit at a strange angle for a week.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I would have to have "strange angle" defined. I try to store ours a little "nose high" just to run the water of the back. The only angle that would concern me would be one where one corner was lower than the opposing corner and coursing the frame to twist. Otherwise, being out of level side to side or front to back would have no effect if not running the refrigerator.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
nellie1289

Well I’m in the desert so no big worry about rain. I am shutting it down when I leave here so not running fridge. It’a not crazy sloped. I think I will just leave it auto leveled
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 03-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
I am storing my trailer on a resorts property for a week while i fly home. I put it in the storage parking spot, the spot is sloped some from one side to the other. I auto leveled it and on one of the sides the wheels are slightly off the ground <1/2". My question is can i leave it like that or should i put some blocks under that sides wheels then auto level again. I figure its better to leave the unit flat than have it sit at a strange angle for a week.
If it were me I would probably slide something under the wheels that are in the air... it may be fine but the thought of having a twist on the axle or suspension with just the weight of the wheel hanging there would worry me... I’d be curious if you leave it that way if the wheels are still up in the air when you get back....but I often worry over trivial things
Old 03-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
If it were me I would probably slide something under the wheels that are in the air... it may be fine but the thought of having a twist on the axle or suspension with just the weight of the wheel hanging there would worry me... I’d be curious if you leave it that way if the wheels are still up in the air when you get back....but I often worry over trivial things

I think i worry about this stuff too much too Jason, i keep telling myself how can this hurt it when 16000 lbs is pounding it for 1000's of miles going down the freeway, highly doubt it.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 03-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
I think i worry about this stuff too much too Jason, i keep telling myself how can this hurt it when 16000 lbs is pounding it for 1000's of miles going down the freeway, highly doubt it.
Good point...I didn’t think of it that way
Old 03-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
If I was parking my trailer in the storage area and had turned everything off including the fridge.. I'd NOT put the leveling jacks down.. no real reason to.. and what if they need to move it because of a fire nearby..
Old 03-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a couple of considerations and then my suggestion.

First, leaving it "on the leveling jacks" is nothing new. Having one side "off the ground" is nothing new.... People camp like that all the time....

If you're going to leave the refrigerator running, it needs to be 'fairly level" whether it's a residential refrigerator or an absorption refrigerator...

Now the "what if" and "consideration"....

If you need it level to leave the refrigerator operating, and one side if "off the ground", what happens if the jacks leak down and the trailer settles back onto the tires???? Will it be "unlevel enough to damage the refrigerator? If so, wouldn't it be "beneficial" to put blocks under the tires to prevent the excess settling? Granted, "IF" the jacks leak down AND the tires on one side go flat (in the same week) there would still be a problem, but the chances of all that happening "at the same time" is fairly remote.

So, I'd level the trailer, then raise the side that's off the ground just enough to slip some blocks under the tires and then lower the jacks back to "where the trailer is level"... IMHO, it's the best of both worlds doing that....

That said, "if the trailer is just going to be parked with no power and nothing running"... I'd "just park it, leave the jacks up and not worry about it. As Javi suggested, that way, if the storage facility needs to move it, they can, without damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote