Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
mch5jdm

Cougar HT 31MBS Discontinued?

Has anyone heard if they are discontinuing this model?
mch5jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The current model information on the Keystone.com website does not list it as "stock only" which means it is still currently in production. The 2022 year models will be shipping to dealerships in the next month or so. There is no "reliable information" about what floorplans will be carried to the next year or which (if any) will be eliminated. But, right now, the 31MBS is still in production.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
mch5jdm

Thank you sir. I ask because a dealer gave me the “last one befordd we they discontinue this floor plan” line. Sheesh.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Floor plans come and go, and then they come back again. Floor plans that sell will continue to be manufactured again. Those that don't sell so well, will be discontinued and a new design will be started. Some survive for years, and some only 1 year. It's the nature of the business.

My previous Outback model survived for about 6 years. Originally, it was a different model number, then the same floor plan was changed by adding a slide in the bed room and turning that slide into a closet. We were disappointed when we were looking a new campers again, because we really wanted a new one in that same floor plan, and they quit making it. The next upgraded change resulted in too many changes we did not like. We ended up going to a fifth wheel. Oh well.

Each successive generation of RV's just seem to get more and more sophisticated, technology advanced, luxurious, and expensive! If everything constantly stayed the same, we'd all still be driving Model T Fords.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A lot of times, when a model is discontinued, it comes back significantly improved... As an example, take a 24' travel trailer with a front bedroom that you can't walk around the foot of the bed with a rear bathroom that's just too tight to step out of the shower and dry. If that model were stretched to a 26' model with an extra 18" at the foot of the bed and 6" in the bathroom, that may make the trailer "significantly more functional"...

So a 24FBR may be discontinued and return the same year as a 26FBR that is a much better floorplan... The increased 2' may mean a 500 pound or so increase in "shipping weight" so a few potential buyers may find their tow vehicle won't work with the new model, but otherwise, the trailer is "a better floorplan" for most people....

If you think back over the last 50 or 60 years, a "HUGE" travel trailer in the 60's and 70's was a 20 footer.... Today, I think, other than the few "fiberglass bubbles" you can't hardly find something that small.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A lot of times, when a model is discontinued, it comes back significantly improved... As an example, take a 24' travel trailer with a front bedroom that you can't walk around the foot of the bed with a rear bathroom that's just too tight to step out of the shower and dry. If that model were stretched to a 26' model with an extra 18" at the foot of the bed and 6" in the bathroom, that may make the trailer "significantly more functional"...

So a 24FBR may be discontinued and return the same year as a 26FBR that is a much better floorplan... The increased 2' may mean a 500 pound or so increase in "shipping weight" so a few potential buyers may find their tow vehicle won't work with the new model, but otherwise, the trailer is "a better floorplan" for most people....

If you think back over the last 50 or 60 years, a "HUGE" travel trailer in the 60's and 70's was a 20 footer.... Today, I think, other than the few "fiberglass bubbles" you can't hardly find something that small.....
Agree, and most National/State land parks seem to be built with the 20’ rule. I cringe watching 38’ travel trailers head into the National Forest campgrounds when we camp. Off topic, but a good lesson.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch5jdm View Post
Thank you sir. I ask because a dealer gave me the “last one befordd we they discontinue this floor plan” line. Sheesh.
I've asked others before, were the salesmans lips moving? You know the rest of that comment! They have one thing on their agenda, sell you something whatever it takes.
If planning on going to state or national parks with anything more than about the 20'er, park outside & drop your rv then drive in to see if it's possible to get to one of their "big rig" sites.
We had several state parks say " Oh yea! We have big rig sites!" and they did if you could make the tight turns around big boulders or under the low hanging limbs to get to them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've asked others before, were the salesmans lips moving? You know the rest of that comment! They have one thing on their agenda, sell you something whatever it takes.
If planning on going to state or national parks with anything more than about the 20'er, park outside & drop your rv then drive in to see if it's possible to get to one of their "big rig" sites.
We had several state parks say " Oh yea! We have big rig sites!" and they did if you could make the tight turns around big boulders or under the low hanging limbs to get to them.
Or you get to the campground, only to find that all the "big rig sites" are occupied by pop-up trailers or tents and the only thing left vacant is the sites any of those pop-ups would have fit in easily with room to spare.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Or you get to the campground, only to find that all the "big rig sites" are occupied by pop-up trailers or tents and the only thing left vacant is the sites any of those pop-ups would have fit in easily with room to spare.....
Can’t tell you how many state parks I’ve seen tents in full service sites. Always makes me cringe as I just past tons of tent only sites on the way in.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #10
mch5jdm

Well. Keystone got back with me.

Hi Jeff
Thanks for touching base. That is correct. Cougar is no longer taking orders for the 31MBS, as that floor plan is being discontinued. If you see one on a dealers lot, and that is the floor plan you want, there will be no more coming off line.

Thank you for considering the Keystone Cougar.

John Thomas
Key Connect Program Manager
Keystone RV Company
[email protected]
Old 03-11-2021, 03:10 AM   #11
mch5jdm

Quote:

I live in Petoskey. We close!
Old 03-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I live in Petoskey. We close!
YUP. We're getting the urges for a motorcycle trip to Cormack's for lunch !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #13
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Well. Keystone got back with me.

Hi Jeff
Thanks for touching base. That is correct. Cougar is no longer taking orders for the 31MBS, as that floor plan is being discontinued. If you see one on a dealers lot, and that is the floor plan you want, there will be no more coming off line.

Thank you for considering the Keystone Cougar.

John Thomas
Key Connect Program Manager
Keystone RV Company
[email protected]

Well that sucks
Old 03-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #14
mch5jdm

Quote:
YUP. We're getting the urges for a motorcycle trip to Cormack's for lunch !!!!!

Nice. They are still only take out. FYI. But worth the trip.

Tags
cougar