Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

LP Tank Regulators/Problems

I'm starting this thread as an effort to educate myself as well as others.

Over the years I've had various problems with LP regulators and hoses with replacing them curing the problem. That included one that just made "noise" all the time. Now to this trailer;

This is our first 5th wheel and it has the opposing LP tanks on each side. One side has the regular regulator and the far side has a high pressure regulator that reduces tank pressure down to 30 lbs. before going into the standard regulator. From day one these have always "sang"/"whined"/"whistled" when propane was flowing to an appliance - EXTREMELY annoying - to the point it keeps me awake.

Decided to replace them both with Marshall Excelsior units (OE is Fairview) but in checking into it I came across something that makes me wonder.....

If my reading is correct the LP tanks will put out 145 lbs. pressure (at 70 degrees) and it increases with the ambient temperature up to maybe 200 psi. Digging into the Fairview regulators their max inlet pressure is 110 psi!! That seems problematic to me to say the least. I'm wondering if the discrepancy of the existing inlet pressure vs the max pressure the regulator will handle is what's causing the noises. I figure so. The Marshall units have a max inlet pressure of 250 so that should eliminate that concern.

Just throwing that out there for pondering or any input from those that have experienced it. Seems dangerous to me that OE won't even handle normal pressures it's supposed to handle....but then again, there's probably a disclaimer somewhere in all the paperwork that states an LP tank should never be exposed to outside temps over 50 degrees or what I'm experiencing might occur.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Something sure seems out of whack here. Why on earth would a propane tank put out that much pressure? Is there a reliable gas dealer in your area you could cuss and discuss this with? Although I know all RV manufacturers push the limits on rules and regs, I can't image any of them wanting to face the resulting lawsuit for a propane explosion.

An excerpt (doesn't really change for a 30lb. tank):

How much pressure is in my propane tank?

According to the national standards publication NFPA58, a propane tank with 20 pounds (5 Gal) of gas at 70°F would have a pressure of 145 psi; at 90°F, pressure would increase to 180 psi; at 105°F, pressure continues to rise to 235 psi, and at 130°F, pressures of 315 psi would be reached.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
An excerpt (doesn't really change for a 30lb. tank):

How much pressure is in my propane tank?

According to the national standards publication NFPA58, a propane tank with 20 pounds (5 Gal) of gas at 70°F would have a pressure of 145 psi; at 90°F, pressure would increase to 180 psi; at 105°F, pressure continues to rise to 235 psi, and at 130°F, pressures of 315 psi would be reached.

I just deleted my post. I was on a completely different wavelength and am embarrassed beyond words!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
Bill-2020

Danny, that's very interesting notes on propane temps and pressures. Many years ago we used to "plug in" the hot air balloon propane tanks on cold nights while the system was in the back of the truck before a planned flight the next morning. Otherwise pressure was a concern getting enough heat to the top to maintain altitude let alone going hot when inflating and launching. The heating blankets that wrapped the two horizontal tanks "warmed" the tanks in the winter cold (Colorado cold) keeping pressures up.

Thanks for this information. I have a different model regulator as you probably know, but I wonder what the max psi is for it. Our tanks have the normal black plastic cover over them and I could see how summer sun could really heat up those tanks.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
roadglide

I replaced my regulator the first year mine had no adjustment only ball and spring it was causing low pressure. Replaced it with a regulator that could be adjusted I think It’s set at 11 lbs out put and it should only be adjusted by certified gas plumber. I haven’t had any problems with the gas flames. I use propane for my hot water heater at the house in the summertime max 70% because of the heat I can get 10% more propane in the take when it’s cold
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank