Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

My mistake. I was referring to/remembering a later comment you made about none on the floor but forgot your initial post - sorry. As far as the "whoosh" sound I'm thinking of a large amount of water suddenly flowing out of the coroplast. I had the front of the coroplast come loose on a new trailer in a rain storm and when I stopped for fuel and the trailer leveled I would describe that wall of water coming out of the underbelly as like a "whoosh", or small water fall.

When they inadvertently turned on my black rinse DW said she saw the water swirling and fill up the bowl and then come over the edge as I was running outside to see what was going on. That was a new Thetford Aqua Magic II now gone. Maybe yours did something like that?

When you filled it and you saw that small drip seems it would take a lot of that to come flowing out of the coroplast At least by filling it to the neck it hopefully indicates the problem is inside.

Maybe the gasket is all it needs. There may or may not be some sort of issue with that flange but that should never be a problem if the tank is dumped in a timely manner. I know mine here at the S&B are glued in. Never pulled one off a trailer. I'm thinking no tank or tank connection leaks and you're in pretty good shape. Good luck in running it down.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
IMASAP

I do believe the initial water that came out got past the flange seal. When looking for leaks after we got home, I filled the tank almost to the flange. That is when I discovered the small drip...……. drip. I suspect, but not sure, this is getting past where the flange goes into the tank. I agree, in normal use, this shouldn't be an issue. I did clean and smear a little silicone at that joint when I had toilet out. Obviously I didn't want to remove the flange unless I needed to. I realize this will create more work if I ever need to remove the flange in the future.... oh well. Tomorrow I will fill the black tank up with water again and see what I have. I think I will neaten some of the loose wires up in the belly while the coroplast is down. If nothing gets wet tomorrow, I will button the coroplast back up and consider this a lesson learned.

Next camping trip.... Labor day weekend.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck. I'm hoping that got it fixed up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #24
cenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If the tank completely filled up to the level of the toilet reckon something let go? Since the coroplast has been pulled down I think I would fill the tank to the bottom of the toilet and see if there is a leak. Destroying the flange and/or tank connections looking for the unknown could be costly. As has been said it is pretty much a closed system (excluding vent) and enough water to suddenly make a whoosh sound seems to indicate more than a gasket leak.
Isn't the top of these tanks something like the lid on a coleman cooler... pressed into place but only screwed at the corners? Could it be that the top of the tank momentarily popped at the edge, water gushed out and then it essentially closed back up. But not fully sealed now hence the drips he saw when testing?

I'd agree, if you heard the sound of a lot of water suddenly, there is more at play here in addition to the leaky seal at the toilet.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #25
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenders View Post

I'd agree, if you heard the sound of a lot of water suddenly, there is more at play here in addition to the leaky seal at the toilet.
Honestly, I don't know how to quantify the amount of water that came out. 1)it was getting dark. 2) Some of it got trapped above the coroplast, because it took hours to drip out. 3) some (whatever wasn't still trapped on the coroplast) just ran onto the ground.

It was probably less water than I think it was. I say this because I was in shock a little just from seeing water come out from the underside of my camper. As a wild guess, maybe a gallon or two?

The other day I filled the black tank about to the top. Certainly higher than I would let it go under normal circumstances... but not into the neck where the flange attaches. There were no leaks. At this point, we are going to camp in it over Labor Day (4 nights) and see how it goes.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #26
Dwalouke

Yuck!

Hey guys! I'm trying to eat lunch here!
Dwalouke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #27
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Never walk away from a black tank flush without a TIMER set on your smart phone! I figure 4 minutes is a safe amount of time.
I also have a mechanical water timer in line and I set it to about 15 mins normally but have gone higher.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #28
skmct

Did you pressurize the flushing system as part of your inspection/test. I believe it is possible to cause a leak in the flushing plumbing. If the water builds up in the tank its going to increase resistance on the spray nozzles which would require higher supply presser on the nozzle supply lines.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #29
Jbrobson1958

Not to be the gloomy one, but on my OLD 2011 keystone passport, the tank split somewhere. no going out the vent or through the toilet. It was bad.
Jbrobson1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #30
CraigB

Top of the tank

Keystone has used two piece tanks consisting of a tub with a top glued on top. The joint is a very weak stop. Check top seam, it probably split (whoosh!).

CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenders View Post
Isn't the top of these tanks something like the lid on a coleman cooler... pressed into place but only screwed at the corners? Could it be that the top of the tank momentarily popped at the edge, water gushed out and then it essentially closed back up. But not fully sealed now hence the drips he saw when testing?

Holding tanks are molded, and the tops are glued or welded in place.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #32
Mikelff

Sounds to me you may have just overflowed the toilet. I would do as the others suggested and just replace the seal and check that out. I almost did the same thing but I was inside and heard a bubbling sound coming from the bathroom. It was air escaping through the toilet bowl and I caught it in a nick of time. Was just a few inches from completely filling the tank. The tank got a good flush out that day. Whew. Dodged that bullet.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #33
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrobson1958 View Post
Not to be the gloomy one, but on my OLD 2011 keystone passport, the tank split somewhere. no going out the vent or through the toilet. It was bad.

I will be keeping this in mind. I don't know how to see this on my trailer without using an inspection camera, which at some point, I will order. Right now I see no leaks and assume water simply pushed past the toilet flange seal. When we are camping over Labor Day weekend, If there are any leaks or bad smells coming from the tank, I'll empty it out and we will have to use the campground bathrooms for the remainder of the trip. Where we are headed, the bathrooms are pretty decent, so not the end of the world.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
Honestly, I don't know how to quantify the amount of water that came out. 1)it was getting dark. 2) Some of it got trapped above the coroplast, because it took hours to drip out. 3) some (whatever wasn't still trapped on the coroplast) just ran onto the ground.

It was probably less water than I think it was. I say this because I was in shock a little just from seeing water come out from the underside of my camper. As a wild guess, maybe a gallon or two?

The other day I filled the black tank about to the top. Certainly higher than I would let it go under normal circumstances... but not into the neck where the flange attaches. There were no leaks. At this point, we are going to camp in it over Labor Day (4 nights) and see how it goes.
A black tank leak is like a bloody nose. Typically happens at the most inopportune time, creates panic, and looks like a lot more than it actually is .
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #35
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
A black tank leak is like a bloody nose. Typically happens at the most inopportune time, creates panic, and looks like a lot more than it actually is .
Well, I have broken my nose before..... it was as bad as the puddle of blood looked !
Old 08-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #36
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
So, made a foolish mistake while camping this week. Dumped the tanks and decided to do a black tank flush. Walked away to start a campfire with the hose on to the black tank rinser… gate valve closed. Started fire, headed back to shut the rinser off and open the gate valve to the black tank and heard a 'woosh' as a bunch of water ran out from the coroplast just as I was about to open the gate valve. Obviously, being distracted, I pressurized my black tank with the rinser… stupid mistake. I also found water on the bathroom floor, which I sopped up with a towel. So, not knowing exactly where the water came out, we didn't use the toilet for the last three days we camped. Fortunately, I had dumped and rinsed several times before I got distracted and caused the tank to get pressurized, so the water that came out was pretty clean.

So, now home, I have loosened and pulled down the coroplast under the rear of the trailer to figure out where my leak is. I connected my hose to the black tank rinse and turned the water on. Nothing.... no drip anywhere so far. I haven't filled the black tank to the top yet, but I'm wondering where the water would have come out when I mistakenly pressurized my black tank?? Obviously, don't want to remove the tank if I don't have to. Can someone make an educated guess where the water exited ?

Trailer is a 2015 Bullet 243bhs.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Obviously, the water did not exit the vent on the roof.
Our black tank catches water from the shower and the toilet, both. Everything else goes to the gray tank. So, it may have come up in your tub.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #37
IMASAP

Just want to give this saga an update..... or put it to rest.

We spent four days in the Bullet over Labor Day weekend. With the three of us in the camper, I emptied the tanks twice..... which is about average for us. No drips, leaks or smells of any kind from the black tank. No need for us to have used the campground facilities. At this point I will figure that my issue was the toilet flange seal and happily, nothing else.

We are heading out for two to three weekends in October ...... looking forward to the fall foliage !
Old 09-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #38
wiredgeorge

Well, we have our tire experts, our weight experts and now I hereby deem you our toilet expert! Go forth and camp and be ready to dive into the.... well toilet talk in the future. Glad you got this fixed!

BTW: I had to change the toilet out in our guest bathroom yesterday; tank on top cracked for some reason (25 years old?) . Once the toilet comes off the wax, there is no doubt why plumbers get about $125 to change out a toilet!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Well, we have our tire experts, our weight experts and now I hereby deem you our toilet expert! Go forth and camp and be ready to dive into the.... well toilet talk in the future. Glad you got this fixed!

BTW: I had to change the toilet out in our guest bathroom yesterday; tank on top cracked for some reason (25 years old?) . Once the toilet comes off the wax, there is no doubt why plumbers get about $125 to change out a toilet!
George, you're being too humble! You forgot our resident CP/signature expert, you!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #40
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Well, we have our tire experts, our weight experts and now I hereby deem you our toilet expert!

Wow........ thanks ??

If my parents were still alive today, they sure would be proud !

Tags
black tank, leak, tank