Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Micromack

Tire pressure question

Hello. Had the bearings packed on my rv 3 weeks ago. Guys said they filled my tires to 65psi for me. I thanked them, etc... camper ran fine for 3, 4 hour legs of our trip.

Well about 3 hours into the last 4 hour leg return trip home had a blowout. Did some decent damage to the trailer. Upon putting on the spare I checked the pressure in the remaining 3 tires. 80+ psi!! Max is 65 psi d load range trailer kings st255/75r15’s.

Question, could the pressure possibly have risen from 65 to 80 psi? Was warm out, 80’s. Was cruise control locked at 67 mph when it blew. Is this normal or did these guys over pressurize my tires by mistake?
Micromack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know where you were traveling but if in a hot desert climate they MIGHT climb that much but I've never seen it and I drive all over the SW. What was the spare inflated to....or did they even check it? Kinda hard to 2nd guess what they did at this stage but I do have 2 VERY important points to make that would have probably saved you this occurrence; 1) put a TPMS on that trailer. As soon as they did their work and you left you would have known the temp in every tire. 2) Dump the TK tires. Don't know the year of your RV but if older than a couple of years they came overloaded from the factory, and, they just fail a lot.

Edit: Welcome to the forum!! Sorry it's under these circumstances.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Those "hot" inflation pressures are not unusual, especially if the tires were overloaded.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
ChuckS

My G rated tires are cold inflated at 110psi.... On a warm day at 90 degrees ambient I often see my tires rise to 125 or so towing at 62mph.. on colder days at 50 degrees I usually see around 118 psi

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
ChuckS

and if it were mine Id upgrade the D range to an E range tire and perhaps wheels if they arent rated at 80 psi and Trailer King tires would not be on my RV..ever

Goodyear Endurance makes a nice E range tire in your size requirement

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote