Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #21
Frosty46

Deserts are hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
We are presently in Arizona (hot) and have only one Atwood AC unit that cools but having a hard time keeping temp down. This is the first time we have been in temps at 100. Our friends have same RV next to us and they have water dripping off the rear of the 5ver from their AC and we do not. Does this mean our unit is not working as effectively? If so, anything I can do?
Retired HVAC person here. Your trailer is designed for temps in the above freezing to 95 or so range. Your AC system cannot and will never keep up with Arizona summers. Remover the shell cover on the roof condenser and check for dirty coils, dirty fan blades and the like. Lube the motor if it has oil ports at the bearings while up there. Put the cover back on and check your temp numbers. 15 degrees temp drop is OK after a ten minute run time. Less is cause for expert help. Desert humidity levels vary some but we spent last winter there and found 20% not that uncommon. With those levels condensation is reduced.
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:02 AM   #22
Bugz1985

If you are near Mesa AZ this guy is very good Joe Rv 480-703-6571
Bugz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
And start the A/c up early in the day and keep it on all day, that is if it's working correctly. I think the manual in ones I have read say most cooling is as others said 20f degree from outside is whats it's best is. My unit is a 2013 maybe they have improved since. In my last unit when in 115 to 120 temps, minus 20 from that was not felt like it was worth the noise all day.
Here in Arizona you don't have to worry about starting it early, once you've turned it on it'll never shut off, regardless if you have 1-2-3 acs, still upper 80s to mid 90s at night.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #24
WestCoastWanderer

Advice

It's August in Arizona. LEAVE! . . . At least head up to Flagstaff to cool off some.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #25
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

We found that the A/C size could be optioned, but in warmer climates the larger one is standard.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #26
ewbldavis

Looks like OP got his answer, but I'll chime in...

We have 2 AC's. We can only run one. On the 90-95 degree days we've had, best temp in camper was about 85. Everyone is correct - you need a second unit in AZ heat.

We stayed last week on a 50A site, but wasn't hot enough to bother running both.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:54 AM   #27
purebred

Hotter than, well you know

This week in Yuma, 115 plus humidity makes for an unpleasant time here. Thank goodness going back to the lone star state soon. With these temperatures our two 15000 btu AC's manages to keep our 34 foot Alpine at about 85 degrees when afternoon approaches. And we have shade up until about noon. Thank goodness for this polar equipped trailer, yeah right Anyway it's been an adventure.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #28
KevinGwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadwoolery View Post
Unfortunately we spent some time in Las Vegas in July a couple of years ago while our TV had some work done on it. Our Cougar only came with one A/C. We about cooked. Fortunately ours was pre-wired for a second A/C in the bedroom, so we put it in. We had several days at around 100 this year on our trip earlier this year and I can say it was a great decision. The Trailer stayed very comfortable.
Is your 2nd bedroom A/C ducted or non ducted?
KevinGwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
This week in Yuma, 115 plus humidity makes for an unpleasant time here. Thank goodness going back to the lone star state soon. With these temperatures our two 15000 btu AC's manages to keep our 34 foot Alpine at about 85 degrees when afternoon approaches. And we have shade up until about noon. Thank goodness for this polar equipped trailer, yeah right Anyway it's been an adventure.
In fairness it's advertised as "Polar Equipped" , not "Equator Equipped".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:30 AM   #30
purebred

How right you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
In fairness it's advertised as "Polar Equipped" , not "Equator Equipped".
I have to add one last statement on your comment. When buying this Polar equipped Keystone in Texas and winter coming on the wife and me were very content knowing we had a polar equipped trailer for the coming winter months. First time the temperature hit 30 degrees in Austin I rested assured knowing my holding tanks were nice and toasty.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:48 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I have to add one last statement on your comment. When buying this Polar equipped Keystone in Texas and winter coming on the wife and me were very content knowing we had a polar equipped trailer for the coming winter months. First time the temperature hit 30 degrees in Austin I rested assured knowing my holding tanks were nice and toasty.
You might want to read the post made by Geo, a long time member of the forum whose Alpine was "intended to be his home during retirement travels"... He posted a short comment on full timing in an Alpine (post #30 here) https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...508#post343508 and detailed his entire "sad realization about Polar Packages and how he fixed his Alpine" Here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=19807

Trust me when I say that your Alpine is not built to withstand cold temperatures like advertised if it's still "in original configuration".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:58 AM   #32
purebred

Completely understand.

Trust me when I say that your Alpine is not built to withstand cold temperatures like advertised if it's still "in original configuration".....[/QUOTE]

John after living in this trailer for a year now I have come to know the characteristics of this trailer quite well. Thanks
Old 08-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Trust me when I say that your Alpine is not built to withstand cold temperatures like advertised if it's still "in original configuration".....
John after living in this trailer for a year now I have come to know the characteristics of this trailer quite well. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt you do know the characteristics of your trailer very well. You probably know them better than anyone else, even the factory... That said, new comers to the forum might get an entirely false impression of the "Alpine survivability in cold weather" or they might "interpret the polar pack as being equally impressive in hot weather with a single air conditioner" or they might even fall for the "foil backed bubble wrap insulation" as to its R value and not notice the "apparent" rather than "actual" in front of the R values advertised in the brochure.

Simply said, there's only so much "R value" in a 2" styrofoam wall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
John after living in this trailer for a year now I have come to know the characteristics of this trailer quite well. Thanks
I have no doubt you do know the characteristics of your trailer very well. You probably know them better than anyone else, even the factory... That said, new comers to the forum might get an entirely false impression of the "Alpine survivability in cold weather" or they might "interpret the polar pack as being equally impressive in hot weather with a single air conditioner" or they might even fall for the "foil backed bubble wrap insulation" as to its R value and not notice the "apparent" rather than "actual" in front of the R values advertised in the brochure.

Simply said, there's only so much "R value" in a 2" styrofoam wall.....[/QUOTE]

All those so called 4 season type RVs are just sales gimmicks, regardless of how they word them, & offer absolutely no real world help in extreme temperatures, hot or cold.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #35
purebred

Exactly

All those so called 4 season type RVs are just sales gimmicks, regardless of how they word them, & offer absolutely no real world help in extreme temperatures, hot or cold.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my sentiments. Thats is why I added the snide comment and emoji with my comment about Keystones great Polar equipped trailers. It does make a cool looking decal though.