Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Silver_

Picked up our 364BHL today

We signed papers several weeks back, but with all the things going on, we just hadn't had a chance to get it picked up. With hail season coming on, I thought it best to get it picked up and under cover.

We really like this layout and can't wait to get it out to some parks when this virus begins to slow down.

We decided to go with a Goosebox rather than a traditional 5th wheel hitch and kingpin. I wasn't sure how turning clearances were going to be on my 2020 DRW, but I'm very pleased. These pictures were taken at around 80-85 degrees of angle and plenty of clearance all around. I don't anticipate needing to turn that hard very often at all, but it's nice knowing the limits. Also plenty of clearance between the rails and bottom of the cap.

Can't say how it tows just yet, as I only took at across town. No chucking to be found, just a little push/pull from the trailer when it hits bumps. Dead solid on smooth pavement.

This is our first fifth wheel, as we've always had bumper pulls. Looking forward to getting it out there.
Silver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Gary R.

Greetings!

That is a very nice setup you have, and it looks like you have plenty of clearance between the FW and TV.

Like you, we can't wait to get out there and have some fun as soon as the Covid 19 slows down.

Stay safe!

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
German Shepherd Guy

Congratulations, what a great looking rig.
OK, for those of us who tow with a bumper pull....
What is the difference between a "Goosebox rather than a traditional 5th wheel hitch and kingpin." ??
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
Gobirds38

Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
Silver_

Oak, thanks. Let me explain in full; please don't think I'm talking down to you because I have no reference as to your familiarity with fifth wheel setups (I had none before starting to look at this trailer).

A traditional fifth wheel hitch secures to your truck bed and captures the kingpin from the pin box on the front of the fifth wheel. They work well, but the hitch itself can weigh a good bit (80-130# is typical unless you go for an ultralight like Anderson's Ultimate Hitch). They can be a bear to load and unload by yourself, and when you're on the road, you're probably not going to take the hitch out when you get to your destination. As such, the bed of your truck always has the hitch taking up space. They also occasionally have "chucking" issues where the kingpin moves forward/back in the hitch jaws when you hit expansion joints or bumps at speed, yanking or pushing hard on the truck.

The Goosebox is a goose ball adapter that takes the place of the pin box and kingpin on the front of the fifth wheel. Lippert recognizes it as one of the only goose ball adapters that won't void their frame warranty (they're in bed with Reese). The advantage is that all of the bulk of the hitch mechanism is attached to the trailer, and all you have in the bed of your truck is a goose ball. Once you're unhitched, you can pull the goose ball and have an empty bed. No wrestling with a heavy hitch when you get ready to leave or get home form a trip. A goose ball and adapter have pretty tight tolerances, so you don't have the same chucking issue that you can get with some hitches. They pull smooth. Lots of folks swear by gooseneck converters as to how they pull. Anderson is a form of ball converter, and Pullrite has another, but they still have a hitch in your bed, whereas the Gooseneck is all on the fifth wheel.

As to strength, the B&W ball I'm using has a 30,000lb rating, and the Goosebox is rated to 20,000lb. My trailer is max 14,000lb GVWR, so plenty of room for safety.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #6
Ranchhand

Congrats and I am jealous. I would like to upgrade are 2014 for a 369BHS. I know not the same as yours but the have quite a few similarities. Sharp truck to by the way.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #7

Very nice. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Heh! Heh! Congrats on the new rig, it looks great! Looks like you're right down the road from me (Lamesa). And, looks like you're at "my" dealership where I seem to be almost every week. Bought a new Montana HC 331RL last month there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
GASMAN6674

Silver
Looks good ! Your trucks a little newer than mine But I like that color it was not available in 15. I use conventional Reese R16 hitch with there picture frame adapter for the pucks and with the "new" hitch on the Cougar there has been zero chucking so far (4 pulls)
My old rig chucked quite a bit. Ours is in for warranty to get gray valve and a few other items attended to and hopefully we will get it back next week.
Enjoy

PS I wish I had your wheels, I cheeped out when I ordered mine
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
GASMAN6674

FYI
I found it annoying that the front storage and rear kitchen were on ch751 keys so I ordered the matching locks from RV Locks on line so the only 751 in now the water fill
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #11
Big1

Wow, what a setup, congrats.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:03 AM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

Silver, thanks for the explanation, that was great.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
dadnjesse

[QUOTE=Silver_;386456]We signed papers several weeks back, but with all the things going on, we just hadn't had a chance to get it picked up. With hail season coming on, I thought it best to get it picked up and under cover.

We really like this layout and can't wait to get it out to some parks when this virus begins to slow down.

We decided to go with a Goosebox rather than a traditional 5th wheel hitch and kingpin. I wasn't sure how turning clearances were going to be on my 2020 DRW, but I'm very pleased. These pictures were taken at around 80-85 degrees of angle and plenty of clearance all around. I don't anticipate needing to turn that hard very often at all, but it's nice knowing the limits. Also plenty of clearance between the rails and bottom of the cap.

You shouldn't have any turning clearance problems with a long bed truck.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
Silver_

I wasn't really concerned with the turning clearances at the cap/cab. I was more concerned with the clearance between the rails and the pin box/camper. I have a bed cover which has its own rails, decreasing overall width of the opening of the bed, and I know of folks who have had the Goosebox hit the rails during a sharp turn. Also, these late model Super Duty trucks have been getting taller and taller, so bed rail clearance to the camper can be a concern. Luckily, they lowered the rear a bit in the DRWs.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #15
Silver_

I wanted to give a quick update after our first trip. We took the FW up the road to Palo Duro over Memorial Day weekend. On the way to the house from the RV storage, I experienced a significant amount of push/pull and some noise at the hitch. Taking a look, the airbag in the Goosebox wasn't inflated, so I added air and things smoothed right out. I watched them add air at the delivery, but they didn't do it when it was hitched. I thought they would know what they were about, but lesson learned: check everything yourself if you want it done right.

Pulling the fiver with the 2020 F350 DRW was great. It was dead on straight with none of the wagging I had grown used to with a bumper pull. The Goosebox was smooth and the airbag/shocks did their job well within the hitch.

There are a few hairpins down into the canyon, but no issues even at 39+ feet. Our spot was an angled back in, a bit narrow, but stabbed it in on the first go dead center and without issue.

The site only offered 30amps, but with the EMS monitor and running everything else on propane, I was able to get both ACs running together and stay just under 30 amps. YMMV. However, this is where the only issue came in: the main rear AC unit would not get cold, even when running alone. I'm thinking a refrigerant leak as it was pulling the appropriate amperage and the compressor was kicking on. I drop it off in early June for warranty work.

The floorplan of the 364bhl is perfect for our needs. My wife and I took the master while our boys took the rear loft. My mom and the dog used the rear bed and my dad slept on the trifold couch. We had rain several evenings, and all 6 of us were able to eat in comfortably, if a little cramped around the kitchen.

The two bathrooms are great, as is the pull out grill since there was a burn ban in effect. Shower was plenty big for my 6'2" 240lbs. The double doors pantry took all we threw at it and we had plenty of storage for all the pots, pans, and odds and ends.

I wish we had gone with the recliners, but we needed the trifold for extra sleeping. The free standing dinette is nice, but a bit cramped. We ended up doing three chairs around the open sides of the table and moving the fourth out to the island.

I installed the Winegard modem before we left and activated their pay as you go data service. The antenna on top picked up plenty of cell signal where our phones were showing no signal, and streaming video and internet worked flawlessly even in the canyon. I wasn't super impressed with the omnidirectional tv antenna as our old directional unit picked up more stations in the same location. That said, it's a ways away from the station sources and is tough to get quality reception however you try.

I emptied and cleaned out the tanks and squeezed it back into covered storage tonight with the help of my 9 year old. It will take a few more times to get good at that tight 90 degree backing job, but we managed it. One of my tank levels is still showing 1/3 full even though the black tank is empty, so I'm hoping the trip to CO next week will help clean it off.

Overall, we are very pleased and look forward to actually having two working ACs in the near future.