Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
BuildTheHouse

New to slideouts - a couple of questions ...

I just bought a 2006 Keystone Cougar 295EFS yesterday to use for temporary housing while a new house build completes. It will be just for my wife and I, along with our four dogs (45 to 60 lbs each) -- yikes.

I've owned a Class C and Class A for 30 of the last 32 years, but never had a slideout (last purchase was 1996 Class A).

I do not own a vehicle to pull the fifth wheel, so I arranged with the seller to have them deliver the unit. The temporary location to put the trailer was a bit of a challenge to maneuver into. Bottom line is the trailer is now parked and its 1.5 degrees not level per iPhone side to side. Since I have no truck now to reposition a tire on a wood block, am I close enough to level to deploy the slideouts? I will get it dead nuts level when I can move it to the actual building pad (it would be in the way now).

In terms of deploying the slideouts, so I need to take a portable generator to the trailer, or can I manually deploy without going "what was I thinking" while I'm doing it?

The manual talks about bringing slideouts back in once or twice a week. Required or not? Location is inland Southern California if that makes a difference.
BuildTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Alternatively, rather than remain unlevel, which will cause issues with prolonged living (cooking, walking, possibly refrigerator operation), why not use a bottle jack, place it under the axle U bolt on the low side, jack the tire off the ground, place a block under it to lift the tire, then move to the other axle and repeat. You may have to jack it a couple of times throughout the time as the earth settles under the tires, so it probably won't be a "once and done" event.

You will need power to the trailer if you're going to live in it for more than a day or two, so either an extension cord or a generator will eventually be required. Generators for "full time use" can get to be extremely expensive, so I'd look for a more permanent solution.

As for the "crowded occupancy", it sounds like you're locating the trailer on the property where you're building.... If so, have you considered a kennel for the dogs? Even under the best of conditions, 2 adults and 4 large dogs in a trailer that size will become 'overcrowded" when the weather goes south for a day or two. Having a means to manage the "crowded situation" may make things much more tolerable for the "human occupants". Plus, having the kennel will provide a means to house the dogs when it isn't convenient for them to be in the new house, so it's a "win-win" in the long run.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout