Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Justus2

Winterize/Sanitize?

Its just about that time of year here in Minnesota. Water will be shut off on October 1st, or sooner if we get overnight temperatures below freezing before that date.

We had a lot of trouble with our water this Spring and ended up replacing the water pump. After 4 years we finally have the winterizing down, we blow the lines and then suck in antifreeze. I know, we don't need to do both but we do anyway.

I have a stupid question which I cannot seem to find anywhere, not even in my Keystone manual (2014 Alpine 3010RE). When do we need to sanitize - before we put in the antifreeze this fall, or in the Spring when the water comes back on and we drain the antifreeze from the pipes? It seems logical to sanitize after the pink stuff is removed but is that correct? Or, do we sanitize before and after?

In all my years of camping, knock on wood, we have never sanitized. Now that we had an issue with the water pump on our new rig, I think we will follow the suggestion in the manual and sanitize. I'm sure I can find posts about sanitizing (bleach & water in the lines & FW holding tank) in the forum.

Thank you all for your help/advice these past 4 years. Its like I have my own personal technician on standby whenever we run into trouble (which always seems to be self-inflicted).
Justus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have "green goo" growing in your fresh water system, you need to sanitize NOW....

It sounds like your FW system is in good condition, so the above is not necessary. Winterize, and in the spring, when you're cleaning out the pink stuff, sanitize and start fresh. Remember, there's no need to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank, just empty it and leave the drain open (so that tubing won't rupture from ice expansion)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Wmeili

On this topic I have a question on winterizing I am familiar with doing this but out alpine has a dishwasher. I was thinking of just putting it on rinse till it pumps antifreeze through it? Or am I all wrong
Wmeili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There should be a winterizing section in the dishwasher owner's manual. I'd first suggest reading that to see what the manufacturer of the specific dishwasher suggests. Some have metal components that, similar to our water heaters, can be damaged by the corrosive effects of RV antifreeze.

RV antifreeze is not the "good guy" in all situations. It can destroy a Suburban water heater tank lining in one season if there's any damage or cracking/chipping in the porcelain liner.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize