Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #21
Irv gates

Hello. I just went thro that same purchase of a new tote also. I looked at most of them and what turned me off on some was the plastic tow handle and the solid tires. I finally got the barker model with the steel handle and the pnuematic tires. My old one was a thetford and I wasnt impressed with it but the new Barker tote dumps on the side also and is alot easier to move a round. Got it online for $195.00 including Shipping. Got the 25gal one. IG Been camping for 40 yrs. happy trails
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I can't get my bobber gauge to work. Maybe its just me but I find it useless. My grey tank is about 38 gallons and my tote is 32 gallons. Knowing that, I just dump the grey tank when its about 2/3 full. If that means an extra dump, I'll live with it. When there's just the 2 of us and we're camping without a sewer hookup, we can go about 4-5 days before the 38 gallon grey tank is full. To conserve grey tank volume, we dump dish washing water into the toilet. Since I can't get the bobber to work, I really don't want to have to guess how much volume is left in the tote and have to judge when I need to close the valve.

I didn't want a tank larger than the 32 gallons because the 32 gallon tote is already a very large unit to have to carry in the bed on my truck. So it was a compromise I can live with.
Whatever works for you is what you should do. I've got an 18 gallon "old timey blue tank" with plastic wheels, no bobber, no "device" built into it that tells me when it's full, and a trailer with 56 gallons of gray capacity in two 28 gallon tanks. I regularly empty the gray tanks when they're full, simply by watching the water level in the blue tank. Yes, you can see the water level as it flows into the blue tank if the tank is between you and the sun. If it's cloudy or no sun, just hold a flashlight to the blue tank and you can see the reflection inside the tank and you don't "have to make a mess" if you've got 10 gallons of waste in the lines "after the valve" (if you plan appropriately, based on your blue tank contents).

My point in posting was simply say that you don't have to find a place to store a 38 gallon tank because you've got 38 gallon holding tanks. With a little ingenuity (or attention to what you're doing) any tank from a 10 gallon (easy to handle and store) to a 40 gallon tank will work. You don't have to buy a tank that equals your waste capacity and you don't have to worry if your gray tank is over half full and that means more gray water than your blue tank will hold. You aren't "relegated to making a mess" just because that happens.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank