Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Milocka

Delamination or Something Else?

I'll try to make this short and sweet.

Last fall, winterized, washed/waxed and pulled my 2010 Laredo 5th wheel to the storage lot. Also purchased a nice new Camco cover to keep it protected during the winter hibernation.

Fast forward to early March...

Removed cover and noticed significant damage for the rear wall of the 5th wheel filon/ fiberglass. At first I thought it was water damage, could not find any broken lap sealant on the roof or walls.

Insurance will cover it only if it's determined that it's not true delamination or manufacturer defect. There are no signs of water damage inside the RV

Any thoughts? Any of the RV techs out here ever seen this type of damage? Any input is appreciated.
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
busterbrown

Hope Chuckster will chime in. It's a shame to see that type of damage after a winter in storage under a cover.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
CrazyCain

Hope it turns out for you in a good way..You do everything to make sure things are well, but it always seems to get cha! Hoping for the best

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Hope Chuckster will chime in. It's a shame to see that type of damage after a winter in storage under a cover.
Well looking at the pics, I does look to me like some type of water intrusion. Was the back of the unit facing the sun?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Milocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Well looking at the pics, I does look to me like some type of water intrusion. Was the back of the unit facing the sun?

The rear of the unit was facing Southwest, more to the west, call it heading 260 ish. Insurance wants the shop to do "investigative tear-down" to determine the cause for certain, but insurance will only cover it if it's damage and not due to neglect or manuf. defects. So i'm on the hook for the full repair if they cant find any water/heat damage. (initial estimate is at $2200)

I'm tempted to tinker around with taking the top molding off to see if i can get my camera in between the luan and the filon in an attempt to photograph the cause of the damage. None of the lap sealant appears to be compromised on the roof where it meets the rear molding:

Old 04-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Sun beating on a cover can cause weird things to happen. I've seen this once before and if my mind is working, it was glue failure. I wouldn't mess with anything, as it may give the insurance company an out without a proper check.

Good luck with getting it fixed without too much harm to you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If you look back through the forum, about every 2 or 3 years someone will have damage like this. If I recall, almost all of them were covered trailers and the damaged areas were oriented toward the sun. If I were you, I'd do a forum search and see what you find. If I'm remembering correctly, moisture trapped under the cover creates steam when the sun "bakes the cover", which is what many of the owners believe caused the damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
theeyres

Best of luck with insurance. I does look to me like damage from sun baking the filon with a lot of moisture in there. I'm no expert, though. I do think that if you mess with it, it may just give insurance an out...

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Milocka

Thank you for the advice everyone.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Lelakay

I found this post because of a similar issue with my RV. I recently purchased a brand new cover and put in on the RV in early Spring. Three weeks later, we removed the cover and found that the top seals and paint had bubbled causing extensive damage.

The insurance company denied the claim because the believe that the damage was caused by excessive heat buildup from the cover and told us to go after the cover manufacturer. The cover manufacturer is saying that they have never heard of this issue before and that it must be defective paint. The RV is fairly new and has been covered (with a different cover) for a couple of years and this is the first time there has been any problems. I would like to know more about the cover that you used and previous issues. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Lelakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
theallde

Lelakay: Check out my post "Rear Cap Slipping". I didn't go the insurance route. My TT was "never" under a cover and the rear cap always faced north when parked next to the house. Keystone stated "water damage" yet no water damage was found. Cost me $4,000 for a new and better constructed rear cap. GOOD LUCK.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote