Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Jus10inla

Adding second ac unit

How much trouble is it to add a second ac unit? One unit cant keep up in this camper. My unit does not have the skyhole in bedroom to add a unit, so idk if its possible or not. Any help greatly appreciated.

Oh, the camper is a 2016 Hideout 299RLDS 5th wheel.
Jus10inla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Probably not going to happen.

You need 50A service, or a seperate 110VAC feed, you need a 14X14 hole in the roof with support for the weight of the unit.

Your best bet is to make sure your current A/C is operating as efficiently as possible and airflow is maximized by sealing any leaks in the ducting.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Jus10inla

Brand new camper. Cant see any duct being loose .
Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Jus10inla

Cost is of no matter., im sure it can be done. Just want to kno who has had it done
Old 05-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Adding second ac unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10inla View Post
Brand new camper. Cant see any duct being loose .

Make sure the outlets are sealed. Check the ends of the ducting as it's not uncommon for them to run all the way to the ends and dump cool air into the front and rear cap.

The "ducts" are styrofoam that has a channel cut in it. There is a gap between the duct and the ceiling where the vents are. Any place air can "escape" it will, and your airflow into the interior will be diminished .

Anything can be done with enough money. Something's are not worth the expense.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Chuckster gave you the logical answer. He is an RV tech and does these things daily.

He referenced loose ducting because many, if not most, new trailers have problems with the way the ducts are sealed, separated and routed resulting in less than optimum airflow.

On the other hand, if money is no object, you will need to peel the roof off the front of the trailer, cut a 14x14 hole, reinforce the roof around the AC and add supports for it, run romex from the AC panel to the new AC location, upgrade the electrical panel from 30A to 50A then purchase a new 50A service cable. You could forego the romex, new panel and 50A cable and just run an extension cord to run it, but, if you're going to do it might as well do it up right. Anyway, you can see it will be a chore to do it right.

I'm not sure if anyone has actually done what you suggest but I'm sure they will chime in if they have. I know some have added 2nd ACs with 30A service and ran an extension cord or some other method to power it. Some with 50A service just drop a new one in the hole and wire it up - they are usually pre-wired and supports already installed.

I'm with you though, if you're from Baton Rouge I don't see any way you can operate with one AC. Don't know what size you have but if it's just 13.5 you could look at upgrading to a 15k. I'm also very surprised that there is no vent in the bedroom. If it were me I think I'd be looking at a 2017 model with an AC in the bedroom. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
Jus10inla

It is the 4800 series . 15k ac & heat. Were in morgan city this wknd & it hasnt got under 78 in camper except at night. I got spoiled to my 07 being completely open floorplan lol.

& yes, i had heard i would havevto go to a 50a ; no problems there. Of course i wouldnt be doing this myself. Camping Workd would be doing it for me in hammond where i bought it from .. just explorin my options right now
Old 05-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Jus10inla

So get on roof where the unit is mounted & make sure no gaps or loose sealant ?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Adding second ac unit

Quote:

Remove vents in the ceiling. At the "ends" of the ducting, see if it continues on into the ends. If so block it just past the last vent.

I for one doubt CW would undertake the job of adding second A/C. If they did you would be cheaper to buy a new unit with 2 units IMO.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Probably more on the inside. Lots of conversations have been had on how to improve cooling in the past and a search will help you find them. In the meantime here is a link to one of the conversations and how they improved their situation;

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...=sealing+vents
Old 05-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
Jus10inla

I do kno how to use the search feautire ; but was unaware of exactly how to word what I wanted to search for. The msg popped up i was too vague with my search selection
Old 05-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Did the link I sent open for you? And yes, you have to be patient and hope you hit on the right selection of words for the search to give you anything. Any other problems just post.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
Jus10inla

Havent tried yet. Been cookin boudin & pepperjack chz eggroll wraps
Old 05-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Aw, come on! You didn't have to go there! It sounds delicious. I miss good, fresh boudin - hard to come by out here. The wraps sound good too. Enjoy.