Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #1
Jsdigger

Theft and Theft prevention.....

Went to pick up our trailer at the storage yard after sitting for 2 months since we last used it and noticed both outside storage doors were open did a walk around before i went in and found they tried to pry on front door open without success,tried the rear door without success,messed with the kitchen window,i noticed the screen for the big window for the slide was gone and the window. now i went in and found a mess they got the tv,inverter,all my tools and a few smaller items . The wife doesn't want to park the trailer at this storage yard again,i did point out to her that this is the first time we have had this happen in 3 years and that we are taking a chance at any storage yard around here.I also pointed out to her(and to make me feel better about this) that at least it wasn't our house that they broke into and that it could have been worse.

So as the title says what do you guys do the secure your rv's from theft.
obviously we are not going to leave items that have $ value in there. i got wood dowels for all the sliding windows.not sure what to do about securing the outside storage compartment doors? those key locks are a joke!!!
any suggestions?

2015 keystone bullet 251rbs
2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 double cab 4x4
Jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
fatcatzzz

Sorry to here about your trouble. Unfortunately most of these trailer a not much more than a beer can on wheels when it come to security. Some will suggest to change the locks, alarms, etc. but it really going to come down to the amount of security at the storage yard. Having the trailer where you live so you can keep an eye on it would be best, but not everyone has that option. Chose a good storage yard and keep the insurance payed up. The rest is a crap shoot.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
Desert185

I despise thieves. Besides changing the parking environment, I don't know what to tell you.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Thieves are the lowest form of humanity IMO. I had my old fiver broke into when it was at a "secured" yard at a dealer. Turned out employees were helping themselves on the weekends including hooking up and taking trailers to Az.

Like said above, it's a crap shoot, with the availability of master keys, if you not deadbolted, entry is a breeze. Those fancy keyless and touchpad lock sets are not any more secure.

Keeping it at home isn't a guarantee either, just had a thread about one stolen, exit through neighbors. Mine is behind a locked fence. Keep it locked and insurance paid. Maybe some sticks in the windows, but if they are in a lot with little/no security they may just bust out a window.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
the sodfather

Milwaukee Tools has recently released a new "tool" called a Tick. It is basically a small discrete bluetooth tracker you can fallow with your cell phone. I have placed them on multiple vehicles on the golf course I work at. Also placed them on trailers and equipment that we share within the city. I can open an app on my phone and pinpoint anything with the tracker. They are awesome. Our personal vehicles and camper have them as well. Check em' out...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...2000/300859175
Old 05-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

When we bought our current trailer I thought I would keep it at the house on our property next door. After a 3-4 months I began to worry about the W TX sun on the trailer and security. My options, in my mind, were to build a storage facility on the property (about $45k and an eyesore to our neighbors) or find a secure facility; I did the latter.

We keep our trailer in a secured, insulated steel RV storage facility. It has a 10' solid perimeter fence, electronic, coded electric gate, coded entry to each storage unit, bright night lighting and cameras. All units are separated from each other with steel walls and they are 18'x55-60'. I keep coupler locks on the trailer inside the unit and the doors locked. The owner lives about 75 yards from the facility and his back window looks at it.

I told my wife if someone gets into the trailer, or takes it, after taking those precautions they are either really good or very determined. In any case insurance gives me a new, current year trailer for the first 7 years in the event of a total loss of trailer so............ Hopefully nothing happens. And, like everyone else, I despise thieves and think it's BS that they make all of the good folks go through these kinds of exercises trying to take care of our stuff and keep them away from it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
hdrolling

Mine was just broke into last Jan, suppose to have my replacement doors installed Tue.

It took that long for Keystone to get them to us.

All I can say is have good insurance and write down all your electronics serial numbers.

My insurance covered everything and I was able to provide the LEO with serial numbers which led to the arrest of the two male thieves.

If we had a covered storage under an hour away I would use them, but we don't

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent