Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
LizzieUK

And the prize for the stupidest question goes to....

Hi
I recently introduced myself as a new owner of a keystone cougar here in the U.K. I'm currently on a lovely site in Bedfordshire but I need to move pitch. I don't have a vehicle to tow myself, the campsite would be happy to help but they only have a tractor; I guess the question is is there any way at all of hitching the fifth wheel to a tractor in order to tow it a few hundred metres or is this a definite no-no? I don't really want to pay someone to tow it from one side of a field to the other so if there's a way of doing it that would be great. Thanks.
LizzieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
66joej

I have seen RV dealerships use a tractor with a front end loader which had an adapter to accept the kingpin of the 5th wheel. Others use a fork lift with a similar attachment. Your guy may be able "jury rig" something if you are only moving it across the field. Good luck. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
LizzieUK

Thanks Joe - seems like a lot of hassle just to move it across the field! I will see what they can do - I'm sure it must be possible somehow.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

X2.. we just had a post showing a truck pulling a utility trailer containing a 5th wheel hitch which hauled a fifth wheel. I think it was one of our popular "I Can pull that " threads.

Thought I also seen a tractor with ,as stated , a set up to move a 5th wheel. Again us old fellows do have a tendacy to imagine things.

Edit: Now this is the star of I CAN MOVE THAT
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
LizzieUK

:-D :-D :-D Thank you, Paraptor - my last resort is to assume the lotus position, concentrate very hard and hope the thing moves itself! ;-)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If the tractor is a "farm tractor" with a 3 point hitch on the back, there are several types of trailer hitch components that connect to the tractor's 3 point hitch. There are very elaborate types like the first picture, but if all you're going to do is maneuver the trailer from one location to another "nearby" location, all you really need is something like the second picture. Where the "gooseneck ball" is located on the hitch adapter, remove that and install a steel plate with a 2.5" hole that the pin on the fifth wheel will fit through. During travel at very slow speeds and short distances, the weight of the trailer on the pinbox will prevent it from "uncoupling"... I would warn you not to attempt any highway travel with this type of device since there is no "locking pawl" to keep the tow tractor and trailer connected in the event of an unseen emergency.

Many dealerships in the US use a very similar device to move fifth wheel trailers around on the sales lot and into the service department.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 point fifth wheel hitch.jpg
Views:	2782
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	11967   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 point hitch.png
Views:	575
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	11968  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
LizzieUK

Wow thank you John. I doubt we could get that shipped over here to the UK in time for when we need it but I will definitely suggest to the site that they get something like that, because fifth wheels are becoming more popular over here and the campsites just aren't geared up for them which is a shame. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

LizzieUK,

If there are gooseneck farm trailers in the UK (I saw many in Germany) then there's probably already a device to use the tractor 3 point system to haul those trailers. All that would be needed is a flat steel plate with a 2.5" hole in the center that will secure to the top of the existing device once the gooseneck ball is removed.

GOOD LUCK, and I'm sure that any farmer worth his salt will be able to adapt something he already has in the barn !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
LizzieUK

Thanks John, for the advice and the good wishes. I'm sure there must be a way - one way or another it will get sorted! I probably should have thought of these things before I bought the fifth wheel! Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 AM   #10
notanlines

Lizzie, not to try to make this too simple, but aren't there a number of other 5th wheel trailers in your park? Surely someone in the park would have a hitch and be willing to move it a short distance. Drive through another nearby park and ask a couple people with hitches if they might give you a hand.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #11
Tbos

Talk to any dealerships in your area. There may be someone that will be willing to help.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Lizzie, not to try to make this too simple, but aren't there a number of other 5th wheel trailers in your park? Surely someone in the park would have a hitch and be willing to move it a short distance. Drive through another nearby park and ask a couple people with hitches if they might give you a hand.
Good point, brings back memories. Siting in club house, three guys come in asking who's dually is that. Oh crap someone wrecked into truck. Can you help we us we have a two wheel 2500 and are unable to back this 5th wheel into our site.. so of course from the foum experience "oh yes I can tow that"

Get there and here is this 5th wheel at the bottom of this grade. Yeap back it up that grade. Got it up there and also offered to help level it, second mistake. What a mess, not smart on my part, of course after the fact..Although still risk, seems like OP move much easier, at least do not think it's up hill. I would think you can find someone.
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
LizzieUK

Hiya
Unfortunately no, I'm the only fifth wheel in the area! The closest to a fifth wheel is a Daytona RV. Fifth wheels still aren't all that common over here - we have too many people crammed into a small island I guess. I have put a shout out on a uk fifth wheel forum to see if there is anyone in the area that could help out but no takers so far. Thanks for your reply.