Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
Texascoastalfish

Cable/Sat wiring discovery

We were in Destin at Camp Gulf for a week Used the Cable service and plugged into the Satellite Prep jack and off I went, no Prob.

Dropped off my Rig at my Deer Lease this past weekend and hooked up my SWiM Direct TV dish and I could not get the Receiver to connect to the dish using the same cable that I used for the Cable connection a couple weeks prior. The green light on the Power Converter would go out when I connected the way I thought it should work and I got no signal

So,, I started trying other jacks on the back wall the TV in hopes they would connect.
I tried the top jack of the 2 in line jacks that have the loopback short coax cable tied in and it worked....
So the Sat feed comes out that jack (?) ...I am a bit confused now on how all this is wired as far as in house,. I will just have to try all the jacks while using my other TV to see if I can run 2 TV's off the Sat, which ones work which ones wont and by process of elimination document this undocumented wiring SNAFU that the dealer or Keystone cant answer.. I imagine behind the wall is a splitter but where it goes I have no idea

Anyone figure out their Cougar Coax wiring ?

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
gearhead

Our 5th is at the dealer in League City trying to resolve cable TV wiring. Over the air is fine, cable..no bueno.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
cw3jason

The cable wires go thru the amp. That is why you must have the amp off when using the Cable. The satellite wires have to be run seperate. They can not go thru anything or it will degrade the signal and you will not get a picture. There is usually a cable run and a dedicated satellite run with a different coax for dish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Pull Toy

I believe the amp is "on" for Antenna, and "off" for cable, and the cable bypasses everything. Just not sure where to plug in Sat.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
therink

The coax has to run from dish directly to the receiver box. It will not work through the rv cable circuit. If you have a "satellite prep" connector on outside, you need to use that as it is a separate circuit than the "cable in" connector. If you don't have a dedicated satellite in ccircuit, then you need to bypass rv coax altogether and run coax directly from dish to receiver via alternative means.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Cougar XLite has one RF connector on the rear wall. It is marked "Satellite Connection". It is routed directly to the top connector on the "jack plate". When used with a satellite system, the satellite antenna is connected to the rear wall RF connector and the input to the satellite receiver is connected to the top "jack plate" connector. The output from the satellite receiver is connected to the bottom "Jack plate" connector and the Winegard amplifier is turned off. The satellite signal is routed to all TV's connected to the Winegard amplifier through the "TV2" connection on the back of the amplifier and to the "main TV" through the RF connector on the front of the amplifier faceplate

When the system is used with cable TV, the incoming cable is connected to the satellite connection on the back wall, a "jumper cable" is used between the bottom and top "jack plate" connectors and the Winegard amplifier is turned off. The signal is routed to all TV's connected to the amplifier through TV2 connection and to the main TV through the RF connector on the front of the amplifier faceplate.

When the system is used with the overhead "Wingman" antenna, the signal comes into the Winegard amplifier, the amplifier is turned on and the signal is supplied to all TV's connected to the TV2 connection on the back of the Winegard amplifier and to the main TV on the front of the amplifier faceplate.

There is only one connection on the back of the trailer. I have not used it for both at the same time. However, the "satellite connection" on the rear of my Cougar is a single RV connector that serves a dual purpose for both cable and satellite dish input and is used for "either/or" cable/satellite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	satellite connection.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	9014   Click image for larger version

Name:	satellite connection jumper.jpg
Views:	6301
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	9015  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
saw dust kid

Sat

I have 343rl H C. I had I install a new separate coax cable from out side to main T V at the entertainment center.then put a jumper coax between the bedroom and living room feeds in the so-called water command center. Now I can watch two separate channels at the same time.with one sat. Box.
saw dust kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #8
cw3jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I believe the amp is "on" for Antenna, and "off" for cable, and the cable bypasses everything. Just not sure where to plug in Sat.
You are correct. I misstyped. On antenna. Off cable, and sat is a seperate run that bypasses everything.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
fritschw

Smile

I discovered on our 29RLI that the cables were switched from the incoming jacks on the outside to the main entertainment center. That won't work either!
fritschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascoastalfish View Post
We were in Destin at Camp Gulf for a week Used the Cable service and plugged into the Satellite Prep jack and off I went, no Prob.

Dropped off my Rig at my Deer Lease this past weekend and hooked up my SWiM Direct TV dish and I could not get the Receiver to connect to the dish using the same cable that I used for the Cable connection a couple weeks prior. The green light on the Power Converter would go out when I connected the way I thought it should work and I got no signal

So,, I started trying other jacks on the back wall the TV in hopes they would connect.
I tried the top jack of the 2 in line jacks that have the loopback short coax cable tied in and it worked....
So the Sat feed comes out that jack (?) ...I am a bit confused now on how all this is wired as far as in house,. I will just have to try all the jacks while using my other TV to see if I can run 2 TV's off the Sat, which ones work which ones wont and by process of elimination document this undocumented wiring SNAFU that the dealer or Keystone cant answer.. I imagine behind the wall is a splitter but where it goes I have no idea

Anyone figure out their Cougar Coax wiring ?
That little loop you discovered is there specifically for satellite. All it does is come out of the wall then back in and continues on to the amp/splitter. Your satelite signal cannot transmit through the amp. So take off the loop where it comes out of the wall and hookup your satellite box. Unfortunately you can only run the main tv off satellite, unless you get creative. The splitter to the other tv's is in line after that loop. The other thing is when you connect satellite at the loop you also lose the ability to use antennae. In my last trailer I did use a satellite capable splitter at the loop and then feed my box on one side and back in to the amp on the other side. It works but it degrades the antennae signal and I did lose some over the air stations.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #11
Texascoastalfish

Thanks all for the great info., help unravel my mystery some.
So the jack in the basement connects to the cable /antenna feed only..
So if I want to watch out there I would have to setup the Receiver there with a home run from the dish, which wouldn't be too bad I guess

Regards to all

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #12
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascoastalfish View Post
Thanks all for the great info., help unravel my mystery some.
So the jack in the basement connects to the cable /antenna feed only..
So if I want to watch out there I would have to setup the Receiver there with a home run from the dish, which wouldn't be too bad I guess

Regards to all
I installed one of these on my Laredo ( for my satellite feed) and modified and installed a second (drilled out and replaced centre with a SO239 bulkhead connector for my ham radio) as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Motorhome...-/231085118726

Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wall Feed Through.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	9038  
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
Larry1013

Here is an article on how to re-wire the booster switch for satellite. Some say it won't give a good signal with the RG-59, but in two travel trailers, my Windegard carryout gives a great signal to the Disk 211k receiver.

http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #14
cospilot

i just did this modification but i think the instructions are a bit misleading..

i modified the faceplate of the amp as shown and when using satellite the only way that will work is if you run a coax cable from the faceplate jack that goes to the outside antenna.
the problem with my camper is that this plate is at the ceiling in the master bedroom. from there the signal goes to the rear and the entertainment center.
i really did not want to run a cable from the bedroom to the back and be tripping all over it.
so i just plugged the cable that goes to "set2" so i can bypass the amp and its switch altogether. since my dish is the tailgater and has motors inside to align the dish i know that DC current has to pass through the cable from the box to the dish.
as a result even with the amplifier off there is no direct DC connection between the 2. so i have to pass straight cable from box to dish and i did that through the jumper wire installed on the outside of the faceplate.

doing this means i have no TV antenna and no possibility of cable to the rear or outside tv's without getting back behind the amp and reconfigure the connections. i could add a 3rd jack to the plate and use it essentially like a switch and move the cable connections around but i figure if i have a dish, why do i need a cable or antenna?
i pretty much got all the local channels and anything else i want to watch in HD format anyway.
if i add a TV to the bedroom where the amp and outlet are located ill still have access to air signals. but likely i would have to either use a wireless HDMI or run a cable to that tv if i want to tie into the system.

now i just need to figure out where i can safely place my sat antenna where it won't get stolen and the wind can't blow it around.
i have a small ladder i can use to get up on the roof but i am worried it will fall off and get broken.
any suggestions?
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #15
tgpilot

I just bought the Direct TV Kings Quest last month, thus far I am very happy with it. I bought a 20' piece of chain and two pad locks. One end goes through the handle on the dish and then I chain up the other end to my RV bumper or a tree to keep it as secure as possible. Also bought that red box alarm for it. So far, I only used that the first day I got it. Not sure how well that $40.00 was spent. That's how I secure mine. In a bad tree area, I place the dish on the roof and it works great.
tgpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 AM   #16
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by cospilot View Post

now i just need to figure out where i can safely place my sat antenna where it won't get stolen and the wind can't blow it around.
i have a small ladder i can use to get up on the roof but i am worried it will fall off and get broken.
any suggestions?
For the first time the other day at home I put the X2 (which is quite a bit larger) up on top of the slide. Actually worked pretty good. Not sure how the smaller one would do up there though.

I also bought a 20 foot chain rope (the kind that is covered in plastic) and 2 master locks so I can lock one end to the trailer and the other end to the unit. In the end though, jsut like the locks on the storage doors, they are only there to keep honest people honest. If someone wants your dish, they are going to take it somehow. The key is to make it look like it might take more time than its worth getting caught.

The other key is getting the DW to not worry about it so much. The first couple times...don't set it up see those kids over there?...we are leaving for the day, shouldn't we put it inside?....or I don't want to leave it out at night!

All those may be valid reasons, but if someone is going to cut the chain to take it, do you think the door or window is going to stop them? So it took some convincing but now we don't worry about it.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #17
Hamops

Our "Sat Prep" is useless.

After my first attempt at using the Satellite Prep, I gave up until I was able to talk to my dealer regarding the Satellite hook up. He gave me specific instructions as to how to hook up my dish, which included using a jumper etc. I tried the suggested hook up and it didn't work. I tried other hook ups to see if the satellite dish would be connected to the receiver. After getting fed up with the machinations that I went through, I ran the cable from the dish, through an open window directly to the Satellite receiver. Finally I was able to watch TV from my dish.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Our 5th is at the dealer in League City trying to resolve cable TV wiring. Over the air is fine, cable..no bueno.
The dealer said they tightened all the cable fittings.
We'll see. I don't use cable at home (Direct TV) so I guess I'll find out if it's fixed on the next trip.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #19
keef95

I gave up on trying to get any performance out of the "over the air" antenna or sort out the ridiculous cable system in my 384PK. I installed a Trav'ler, Genie, Genie Mini wireless and couldn't be happier.
keef95 is offline   Reply With Quote