Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Flicdog

Awning rolled up in reverse

I took my 2015 333MKS for some warranty work on the AC. The service advisor noticed the awning was rolled up in reverse, white side up, causing the whole assembly to pull away from the coach. Has anyone had this happen?...they are repairing it under warranty
Flicdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Javi

On the Lippert Solera awning it can easily be done.. You have to pay attention to the IN/OUT button...

Don't ask how I know this...
Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Any electric awning can roll up backwards if it doesn't have an auto stop feature, usually only seen on upper end RV's. I've seen a few come in for warranty, customer states " my awning doesn't work" and when I press the extend button it tries to retract. One look at the fabric tells the story, your not the only one to have this happen. When I did walk throughs as part of my duties I made sure I extended the awning and instructed them to watch for the valance and Stop at that point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Rick

All that being said, it sounds like someone pressed and held the "Out" button to let the awning unroll, overextend, then let it roll back up upon itself (inside out). Couldn't you do just the reverse to fix it (press and hold the "In" button)? Am I missing something?

Rick

It must have something to do with the tension spring. I guess if that comes unloaded, it can screw things up?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
nellie1289

mine has done this too, in my 336 bhs. I didn't even notice it do it until I was retracting one day(hit wrong button on remote) and it came in with the opposite side up. I assume this is no harm no foul. I reversed it and it would up just fine the right way. As a sidenote, if you wan to tilt the awning, to you just pull down one side and then when you roll it back up what do you do(if its raining) I was just curious overall. Want to use this feature but scared to try it out lol.
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
It must have something to do with the tension spring. I guess if that comes unloaded, it can screw things up?
Manual awnings have springs on both ends. Electric awnings don't have springs. There is a motor "brake" that holds the tube in whatever position you let go of the button.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
mine has done this too, in my 336 bhs. I didn't even notice it do it until I was retracting one day(hit wrong button on remote) and it came in with the opposite side up. I assume this is no harm no foul. I reversed it and it would up just fine the right way. As a sidenote, if you wan to tilt the awning, to you just pull down one side and then when you roll it back up what do you do(if its raining) I was just curious overall. Want to use this feature but scared to try it out lol.
Depending on which style of arm you have, canting the awning is easy. The one with an elbow joint just requires pulling DOWN on one side or the other. Those of us with sliding arms just pull the arm in and tighten the set screw.

If you bend the elbow, make sure you only bend it down. If you bend it past straight(up) and retract the awning, you will most likely break things. I have replaced a few. You can leave the bend and retract, the awning will straighten the elbow when it closes.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Depending on which style of arm you have, canting the awning is easy. The one with an elbow joint just requires pulling DOWN on one side or the other. Those of us with sliding arms just pull the arm in and tighten the set screw.

If you bend the elbow, make sure you only bend it down. If you bend it past straight(up) and retract the awning, you will most likely break things. I have replaced a few. You can leave the bend and retract, the awning will straighten the elbow when it closes.
thanks chuckster, I do have the one you bend down so I wil ljust bend it down and call it good. Just roll it up when im done sounds like an easy plan. I suspect you bend the side away from the door so the water flows away from your exit area! and he awning that way wont be lower than the door? that seems like a smart plan to me.
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Manual awnings have springs on both ends. Electric awnings don't have springs. There is a motor "brake" that holds the tube in whatever position you let go of the button.
I have the electric type. So, theoretically (I"m not going to try it!), I could extend the awning by pressing on the "OUT" button (counterclockwise rotation) 'til it extends completely and begins to roll back in on itself inside out until it's retracted with no damage. At that point, I should be able to press the "IN" button and the reverse should happen. The awning would be correctly wound up.

OP never did say what type (manual/electric) of awning they had. "awning was rolled up in reverse, white side up, causing the whole assembly to pull away from the coach." This part I don't get.

Rick
Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Can't say "no damage" as I've seen some motors move pretty fast.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Rick

Yes, I understand that. Mine moves at what seems to be a little faster than a snails pace. But mechanically, it shouldn't do any damage. The only thing the motor knows is that it's either rotating counterclockwise (out/extend) or clockwise (in/retract). It doesn't care which side the awning's on.

Here's a video on how to manually retract a Lippert Solara awning-

The one thing he forgets to mention is you'll need a ladder or something in a real world scenario.

Rick