Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #1
CdnCopper

Long-trip pre check?

Hi

We are VERY excited to be heading out on a 3,300 km (2,050 mile) round trip between Alberta and BC. I have done a few things on the trailer in advance, including:

- Inspecting bearings & brakes
- Inspecting tires
- Inspecting all safety lights (signals, etc)

In addition to all the other pre-trip stuff we do. Anyway, for those of you who do this regularly, is there anything you do on the trailer to prepare for especially long trips?

Thanks!

CdnCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup. I add a list of convenient Wal Mart locations along the route. That way, if we did forget anything, there's a "easy solution" for getting a replacement without having to return home to "fetch what's lost".... LOL

Honestly, for us, preparation for a long trip is much the same as preparing for a weekend close to home. The only difference for us is how much food and clothing we pack. Otherwise, the attitude and pre-trip checklist is the same. Be prepared, do regular maintenance, and if it breaks, we'll deal with it when it happens, otherwise, enjoy the "vista view" out the windshield and from under the awning...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
GMcKenzie

Where are you headed and what do you plan to see? Number 1 or through the Kootneys? I love the Kootneys. So much history and gold rush stuff to see there.

Hey. More Wal-Marts through there than I thought.

Link to the map.

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-br...ations-map.htm

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
CdnCopper

Hi GMcKenzie

We live in Grande Prairie. We typically take the regular route down through Jasper and into Kamloops. This time though we are heading west through Dawson Creek, Prince George, 100 Mile house, etc. As long as the forest fires aren't too bad it should be really fun! Wrapping up the trip on Vancouver Island. Not looking forward to the price of the ferry with a 30' trailer and truck but we've budgeted for it so should be fine. Kids are going to have a blast.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCopper View Post
Wrapping up the trip on Vancouver Island. Not looking forward to the price of the ferry with a 30' trailer and truck but we've budgeted for it so should be fine. .
Not sure which ferry route you are taking to the Island (from Horseshoe Bay or Twassessan) or the day/time you are planning to catch a ferry but you might want to look into getting a reservation. At this of year, the ferries are busy and while a reservation will cost you another $15 on top of the outrageous fare, it might be worth it.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You mentioned checking the tires; be sure and check the torque on all the lug nuts....truck and trailer, before you leave and while traveling.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
hankaye

CdnCopper, Howdy;

In addition to all the "usual items" I always remind myself before setting off
for the next leg of a journey of the Priest that was spotted crossing himself
in an airport boarding line. A fellow passenger asked him what his prayer
was. The Father replied that he wasn't praying ... that he was merely
taking inventory. Spectacles, testicles, passport & wallet (the up,down, and
side-to-side).
All I got to add.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Best advise I got on another forum when we were getting ready for our cross country trip:
Have a credit card with a HIGH limit and a LOW balance.

Ended up having to buy tires for the rear of the truck in Ohio, three trailer tires and one rim on our east leg. Didn't use any of the trip funds.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
CdnCopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Not sure which ferry route you are taking to the Island (from Horseshoe Bay or Twassessan) or the day/time you are planning to catch a ferry but you might want to look into getting a reservation. At this of year, the ferries are busy and while a reservation will cost you another $15 on top of the outrageous fare, it might be worth it.

Already done good sir - booked a couple of weeks back, peace of mind definitely!

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll let you know if there were any on road adventures upon my return!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCopper View Post
Hi GMcKenzie

We live in Grande Prairie. We typically take the regular route down through Jasper and into Kamloops. This time though we are heading west through Dawson Creek, Prince George, 100 Mile house, etc. As long as the forest fires aren't too bad it should be really fun! Wrapping up the trip on Vancouver Island. Not looking forward to the price of the ferry with a 30' trailer and truck but we've budgeted for it so should be fine. Kids are going to have a blast.
Enjoy your trip. I'm too cheap to do the ferry ride but one year will break down and do the island.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote