Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
pirates55

A/C Issue

I plugged in my Keystone Springdale last night. I have about 3 weeks before my family heads to Myrtle Beach to camp for 9 days. I have a 50 amp receiptical at my house that I plug into especially installed for the RV.

When I go to turn on my Air Conditioner it acts like it wants to come on and makes a huming sound but doesn't fully come on and start blowing any air. So after cutting it off and waiting a few minutes I tried again and the same thing happened.

I got frustrated and went to pick my garden and tie up my tomatoes. When I got done I decided I would try it one more time before unplugging the RV and cutting off the refridgerator, hot water, etc and getting it ready to haul to the RV shop to get worked on. Low and behold this time when I tried it, it came on and ran fine.

Any of you guys had anything like this happen and if so what fixed the problem. I left the RV plugged in with everything running just like it would be at the beach overnight. Even though its working now, my fear is when I get to the beach it will quit working when its 100 degrees. I have a 3 year old and a 1 month old and I don't think either would do well if the A/C goes out on us.

Please give me some advice!!!!!
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
mikell

Click image for larger version

Name:	Volt Meter.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	461It might be low voltage because you just plugged it in and everything was trying to catch up. Get a plug in voltmeter to keep an eve on things
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
pirates55

I have the plug in volt meter and it was reading 125 volts. I thought that it might just take a few minutes for the invertor and everything to power up since I had the battery unpluged all winter and all.

I also had the refriderator on that was drawing some power and it was about 90+ degrees.

I have read about some sort of Hard Start Compasitor. Never knew anything about it. Going to look and see how dirty the coils and all are this week as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Terrydactile

I think the most likely culprit is a hard start capacitor going bad.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
pirates55

is there 2 compasitors. My camper has the due therm model #57915.531 that is 13,500 btu a/c unit.

Is there a fan compasitor and a start compasitor.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Once your water heater reached temp and your converter was done charging the battery you had enough power to start the A/C. Depending on how your panel is wired, you may be trying to run everything on 30amp. And nothing on the other 20amp. ...... Just something to look into. I have 30amp and can not run A/C and electric W/H at the same time. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
pirates55

I've never had a problem running everything at once at the campground. My RV is set up to run on 30 amp. However, I have a 50 amp service at my house I plug an adaptor into to run my camper. My volt meter inside stays at or just a little over 120 when the air is running.

I would think if a compasitor was bad it wouldn't work sometimes and then sometimes not. Is my thinking correct??
Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirates55 View Post
I've never had a problem running everything at once at the campground. My RV is set up to run on 30 amp. However, I have a 50 amp service at my house I plug an adaptor into to run my camper. My volt meter inside stays at or just a little over 120 when the air is running.

I would think if a compasitor was bad it wouldn't work sometimes and then sometimes not. Is my thinking correct??
When running at the campground your battery is charged from the TV on the way there. Your converter then will only be maintaining charge. At full charge of a low battery the converter can use almost as much amperage as a running A/C. Try waiting with the W/H or using LP until battery is charged. You are stretching 30amps to it's limits. JMHO I don't think there is anything wrong with your A/C from what you have told us. Enjoy your weekend, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote