Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
Williston324

I65 to 231 at Montgomery AL

We're heading south in a few weeks to Panama City Beach. Our route from the Toronto area is going to be I75 to Cincinnati then cut over west on I71 to I65 then south to 231. The I65 route is new to us and we're taking it just to try something different. Originally we were going to connect to it from further north but read horror stories about its condition in Indiana.

Looking for advice on the 231 transition at Montgomery. Is I85 to Eastern Blvd/231 the way to go? I also see I85 to Taylor Road as an option. Good Sam Trip Planner likes South Blvd to 231.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Tbristol

231 is super busy in Montgomery. After that it is mostly 4 lanes undivided Highway. In some pretty remote areas. I have traveled it a few times and have always enjoy it. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to get on it going south. I have only done it going north. Then when it Said I-65 I followed the signs. I will be heading south that way in 2 months so will follow this thread to see what others say.

Now I don't know what you mean about 65 bad in Indiana? All I know is 75 you have to come through Dayton and Cincinnati. Both of them are horrible to get through. Cincinnati is the most God awful town trying to get through. I have been through all hours of the day and night and the traffic is never moving. Atlanta is easier to get through than Cincinnati. I live in Michigan I take 69 to Indianapolis. Take the loop around pick up 65 and set my cruise. I haven't drove in a few years that way. So are you worried about crime? Or road conditions. Most roads in the snow belt areas of the Midwest are in horrible conditions. Weather and bad economy. I live in Michigan everyone in the U. S. says we have the worst roads. So I guess I don't notice bad roads anymore.. [emoji3]
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #3
Williston324

Thanks for that. I was referring to the road conditions. Read some recent posts on other sites that said it was really rough and they were bouncing like crazy. I'm still toying with plan A and going to Lansing then doing the 69/65 as you said. Not leaving for 2-1/2 weeks so I'm sure that I'll change my mind a dozen times and then wish I had taken the other route once we get going. If I take your route do you go right through Louisville or way around to the west?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
laidback

I'm not sure if You mean 231 or 331? I have used 331 a few times good road. Last couple of times I have stayed on I65 to evergreen Al. then cut over to US 331, that will bring you down to US 98 in Santa Rosa, go esat on 98 about 20 mi. to Panama City.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Terrydactile

We travel I65 south to US 231 frequently, at least three times a year. It is a good road. We like taking the South Boulevard exit in Montgomery despite what any of the maps or GPS's say.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
gearhead

There is a stretch of road in Birmingham that will beat you up. We are always north/eastbound on I59/20, then north on I65. We can't remember if the bad road is I65 or I59/20. But it is bad. But eventually you get out of it. You may miss it if you're not using I59/20.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Wally15

I frequently travel through Montgomery going to B'ham. I try to avoid South Blvd (congestion and many traffic lights). I much prefer I-85 and East Blvd, towing or not.
And whoever said avoid Cincy and Dayton if possible was spot on. Both have lots of construction and congestion right now. They have been repairing I-75 in Dayton for the past 20 years : ) Some major I-75 road repairs underway on the north side of Cincy right now (been through there twice in the last 2 months enroute to Ontario - but not pulling anything). Actually, this last trip the Dayton traffic flow both NB and SB was the best it's been in many years.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
rnkburg

Don't forget about the mess in Nashville. Make sure you time that just right or you will be sitting there for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Tbristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williston324 View Post
Thanks for that. I was referring to the road conditions. Read some recent posts on other sites that said it was really rough and they were bouncing like crazy. I'm still toying with plan A and going to Lansing then doing the 69/65 as you said. Not leaving for 2-1/2 weeks so I'm sure that I'll change my mind a dozen times and then wish I had taken the other route once we get going. If I take your route do you go right through Louisville or way around to the west?
I take 64 straight thru. I always mange by luck to hit it early Saturday morning or Sunday. So traffic real lite. I wouldn't know what to tell you if you hit it in Friday at 5pm.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Williston324

Follow up

We arrived safe and sound and all set up in St Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach.

We, of course, were delayed a bit enroute and hit Cinncinati at the start of rush hour but it wasn't too bad and we were through without hitting stop-n-go traffic. Overnighted at Carrollton KY and then took the outside 265 route around Louisville around 9 a.m. the next morning. This worked extremely well and we sailed right through, re-connecting with I65 south of Louisville. We hit some traffic in Nashville at noon. Probably because I was daydreaming and missed the I65 cutoff and went right through downtown. This has never happened to anyone before, I'm sure!! Night two was just south of Birmingham at what used to be a KOA. A little tight but right off the interstate so it worked. Final day we took I85 east from Montgomery and then Eastern Blvd and 231 south through Dothan to Panama City. This last stretch was on a Saturday and we breezed right along.

As a side note, we used Pilot/Flying J's with our Pilot RV Plus Charge Card. Filled up out back with the truckers, swiped and paid right at the pumps - no need to go inside unless we needed to use the facilities or grab a bite to eat. Very convenient!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
Tbristol

Sounds good. I don't mind going in and paying. It shows me down some and let's me stretch my legs. Otherwise, I gas and go and try and put to many miles in without enough breaks. I'm heading that way in a couple of weeks. Except I will be taking 77 South to 74 then 95. Hopefully can still find some campgrounds open this late in the year. If not I'm completely set up for Walmart or flying j.