Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
Povo

bedroom television mounting bracket

There is a sticker in our bedroom that says "LCD TV Mounting Bracket Location". Does anyone know what this means? Is there some sort of stud there (wood, metal?)? Is there a special type of bracket that is used.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It means there is a wooden plate secured between the wall studs. It will provide a solid base to screw in a TV bracket.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Povo

That's what I needed to know Thanks!

How is anyone supposed to know these things without a forum like this? I looked through my manuals and couldn't find any reference to it.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

When I do my walk through with a customer, that is only one of many things I point out to the new owner. Not all RV dealers do this. My first 3 were: here's the keys have fun. I purchased my present RV from the dealer I work at before I started working in the industry, and figured the no orientation was normal. We have seen units that were purchased elsewhere, and brought to us with issues, only to find the unit didn't even have a pre delivery inspection.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Povo

I know. And here's were I'll rant a bit. I like my dealership and the RV shop that put my hitch in, but knowing what I know now, and looking at all the questions I've had, and reading the manual and finding things I should have been told, I am amazed at the lack of education that goes with purchasing an RV.

A couple of examples: When I picked up new 5ver last September, we did do a walk through on the basic functions but that was it. Once again, I don't even know questions to ask. a few days later when I picked it up, it was brought to the front lot and I was told there it is - it's all yours. I was left alone to hook it up and take off. Unfortunately no one noticed the steel plate that went with my SuperGlide hitch was still attached to my trade-in. I had no idea it was a component of the hitch as I had never seen it separate from the 5ver. So I drove off and immediately the hitch swung sideways the 5ver slammed back and forth taking out my tailgate. You think someone would have made sure I was all set to go before they let me drive off? They did replace the tailgate but that's a sound that will be in my head for a long time.

Another example - there was no explanation about the switch for the propane tanks. I assumed I would just flip it between the two tanks as needed but reading the manual I found there is a unique system that shows when to fill each tank. This is just one many things I have learned on my own (many through this forum) that I think could have been told to me. This is the biggest thing I have ever towed and there is electrical, plumbing, structural, towing basics....

Don't get me wrong - I don't think everything isn't the dealerships responsibility. But if I was selling something with this much potential for "issues", I think I would assume the customer doesn't know anything and start from there - especially when the sale has already been made. I deal with health insurance and that is what I do. I start with "do know what a deductible is?". As a good business practice (and very little cost) I would have a comprehensive class (maybe a couple of hours) that could be then scaled down to what the particular customer needs (which may end being just the simple walk through). Even though this is my second 5ver, I know nothing about lug nuts or numerous things that would be good information. And don't even get me started on tow vehicles. You can search my posts on for my journey of discovery on that subject.

There, I feel much better now.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 07-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be any "standard" for dealers in the area of customer education. IMO it's a great DIS service and can only cause heartache down the road. I am only allotted 1.5 hrs for a walk through, but with my boss' blessing, I take as long as it takes to make the customer comfortable.

Case in point: about 6 months ago a couple bought a 40' Phaeton motor home. They had never even camped in a tent. I spent 4.5 hrs with them and felt comfortable as they drove off. I had to learn on my own starting back in 1989, and I try to make sure the learning curve is very gentle. Just wish all dealers had the same attitude.

I hope this hasn't soured you to the wonderful world of RV'ing and the joy's of fifth wheels.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
There is a sticker in our bedroom that says "LCD TV Mounting Bracket Location". Does anyone know what this means? Is there some sort of stud there (wood, metal?)? Is there a special type of bracket that is used.
There's a very thin backer plate that's more then likely stapled in to the studs that from my experience isn't sufficient to hold the weight of most bigger TV's.
I rebuilt the backer plate and attached it properly so I wouldn't have any problems down the road.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Trinidy

Hmmm...

I never noticed anything like that in our bedroom TV space. Is there a certain bracket you're suppose to use also?
Trinidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Povo

And Steve, how did you rebuild it? Seriously don't want a tv falling off of the wall while we're driving down the road.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
And Steve, how did you rebuild it? Seriously don't want a tv falling off of the wall while we're driving down the road.
First off I would never drive down the road with the TV hanging off the wall it's just asking for problems. Most people take the TV off of the wall and lay it on the bed.
As for the cheap backer plate that's on most RV's I removed the wall skin and added a few jack studs, took out the thin ply that was stapled in there that was the backer plate and replaced it with 3/4 ply to hold the weight of the TV.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinidy View Post
I never noticed anything like that in our bedroom TV space. Is there a certain bracket you're suppose to use also?
Just about any bracket will work it depends on the movement that you want from it as in how far it turns and extends.
The important thing is that you can attach it vertically as your studs run up and down.
I've done 2 already without any problems, one was with the original bracket that came with the trailer and the other was done with an after market one.