Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
EChambers

black tank hose connection issues

The last two set-ups with my Passport have resulted in unpleasant and unexpected dumping of black tank when trying to connect the sewer hose for hook up. The black tank valve is closed as is the grey tank valve, but when I take the cap off to connect the sewer hose there is a discharge.
Any suggestions as to cause and solution will be greatly appreciated. I have 6 days before next move.
EChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your RV is relatively new, chances are the black tank valve is not "worn out" so the leak is probably coming from either the valve not closing completely or some toilet paper or other foreign matter stuck in the groove where the slide blade is supposed to seat.

There are a number of people who have the same problem and have discussed it on the forum, you might find their experiences by doing a search for black tank valve or valve leak or something similar.

Essentially, it will happen to all of us if we don't dump the black tank properly and if we don't lube the slide valve mechanism to keep it functional.

As a general rule, NEVER push the tank valve closed while emptying. Doing so will push anything that may be going through the valve at the time into the groove. That will prevent the valve from closing. As for lubrication, many holding tank additives have a lubricant in them, but some don't. You can use a small amount of olive oil (or other vegetable based oil) occasionally, or you can buy dump valve lubricant. Don't use petroleum based lubricants as they can soften and deform the rubber seals.

As a temporary (or even a permanent) solution, CW and other RV parts stores sell a twist on sewer valve for about $20 that you can attach to your sewer outlet. It is essentially a second slide valve and will seal against any leakage from the primary valve.

If your valve is relatively close to the dump outlet, you may be able to access the rubber seals to clean them by reaching inside the outlet. If not, then you would need to remove the coroplast cover, disassemble the valve and clean it. Since you're probably still in warranty, your dealer may do that for you, however, keep in mind that a "dirty valve" is not a warranty problem and he may charge you for cleaning the waste from the seals.

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
therink

This has happened to me 2 times. Both cases involved baby wipes lodged in the valve seat. The valve was not completely closing. I unsuccessfully tried flushing out with large volume of water. The first time I had to cut a hatch into the Coloplast and remove the valve to dislodge the wipe. Not a pleasant job.
I have plans this Sunday to do it again as the valve again is not closing/sealing completely. I can't wait.
My 9 yo daughter is the culprit. I am removing the wipes from the camper altogether.
You should be able to tell is the valve is not closing completely if the valve control handle doesn't go all the way in when closed position. In my case there is about another 1/8" gap at the handle.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
denverpilot

Might also have a chat with the kiddo about baby wipe disposal at home, or you may end up with a similar problem there. They're not so good in non-RV plumbing either, according to a friend with a wife who was flushing them...