Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Amatuber

2011 328QBS Propane Access Doors

Traded in old '04 285 cougar for a brand new 328... Looks like Keystone has done some wonderful improvements since '04 ... However; pulling it this morning the propane access doors were not locking securely and were being sucked open by passing vehicles.... On closer inspection these doors are super flimsy, and the latches barely make contact with the frame ... a slight tug on the door latches will open both sides... a complete design flaw. Back at dealer now for repair or replace hopefully.

Has anybody else had this issue? and how is it fixed?
Amatuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Handysam

You might check the nuts on the back of the latch to see if they are tight, if there loose the latches get flippy floppy. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Amatuber

no all is tight ... location of the latch only allows about 1/16" of overlap.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Handysam

A 1/16" of an inch overlap is obviously not enough. There is no door adjustment per say, maybe if you loosen the back nut you could get enough play to slide it more towards the side to get more "catch". I also know they make longer cams to fit and make a better connection. Sam
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Amatuber

It's with the dealer now ... hopefully they will come up with an acceptable solution. Just trying to educate myself in case the repair is unsatisfactory.
Thanks for your input Sam
Old 04-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Jim W

When replacing my basement access door latches, with a different style of a locking mechanism. I came across latches of different lengths. Some were a 1/4 of an inch longer than the 5/8" length that is shipped on the doors. Either your dealer or you can replace the stock latches with the longer style latches, if he can not resolve this latching problem for you.
The reason I replaced my latches was I did not like the idea of everyone having access to my basement in my 5er. The locking mechanism are keyed a like. If you do not change the basement locks, then anyone who owns a TT to a class A has the same lock as you. My old key number was CH751.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Amatuber

I head heard about all the keys being keyed alike ... so one day I decided to walk down the isle in my storage facility where I keep my camper, and my Key opened every camper storage box that I tried ... so the first thing on my agenda once all this is worked out is to replace the locks on all the access doors on the new camper.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The arm that swivels when you lock the latch is too short (as you described). If the dealer doesn't fix them, you can buy that arm in different lengths. Go to most any hardware store and take a look. I had to do that on my bass boat, all the lockers, even when locked could be opened by lifting on the handle. Now, with longer arms, all is secure and those "awful bass" can only steal my lures when they're in the water <LOL>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Lack of HP

same issue on my 327res

I feel your pain. I traded in my 2011 291rls for the 327res. On the way home the propane door blew off. They ordered a new one over night. Put it on. Same issue,came loose within a mile from dealer. Very poor design. Right now they are trying to decide what to do. White duct tape is my solution currently
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
wozzukes

I never knew that about the access doors being keyed alike and DH is anal about making sure they are locked. I checked our key and by golly it's CH751! I guess I now know what our next mod will be!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
msp2jxr

Hi Everyone,
We replaced our storage door locks with the Combi-Cam locks. These allow you to pick your own locking combination. The only drawback we noticed is the numbers are small and hard to see at night. They also have different sized cams. My DW feels much better with these on our trailer. Last year we had a mishap and lost our trailer keys. While at the campground we found out that there are actually 3 different sets of storage door keys, but just the same, almost anyone can open your storage doors. We were also informed the main door has a master key which can open any trailer if you do not have your deadbolt locked. We were able to get into our trailer because the storage door keys are the same and I ended up crawling through the laundry shoot opening. Shortly after we got home, the DW bought the combi-cam locks.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote