Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
vallboss2

Hot water heater ??

I have an alpine 3600rs . How do i get my hot water heater on electric. I have a on and off switch at the hot water hater and a hot water on and off switch in the control panel cabinet in the unit.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
mr.windows1

Make sure your switch is in the on position on the water heater itself and the you can useyour in side switch to turn it off and on from inside the couch you can use both electric and gas at same time if you want to heat the water faster when you first turn on and then run it on either or.
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
vallboss2

So if i want electric only i need the switch on the outside at the hot water heater on and the one inside the camper off or on for electric?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallboss2 View Post
I have an alpine 3600rs . How do i get my hot water heater on electric. I have a on and off switch at the hot water hater and a hot water on and off switch in the control panel cabinet in the unit.
Turn both switches to the ON position. You should have a separate and additional interior wall switch for propane. If you want to heat your water faster, the HW heater will work on both.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
rconkin

On mine, the switch at the hot water heater is for the electric and the one inside is for the gas.

16 KZ Durango 2500 D349BHQ
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
spicercars

Do not use both gas and electric at the same time unless you want to replace the water heater. The outside switch is for electric and the inside is for gas. Use one or the other not both.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
laredorick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
Do not use both gas and electric at the same time unless you want to replace the water heater. The outside switch is for electric and the inside is for gas. Use one or the other not both.
Why not both?

Here is a cut and past from my owners manual: You can power your water heater by propane with the DSI....as well as the electric heating element (as long as you have a form of 120 volt shore power/generator) at the same time and get the fastest heated water.......or either one individually.
laredorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
spicercars:
I'm not sure what kind of water heater you have but it is quite safe to heat the water using both functions: 110VAC and propane. Some folks do it all the time without having to replace the HW heater. I have done this from time-to-time without any issues.

Where did you get this information - that you will ruin the tank/heater - if you use both at the same time??
Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
theeyres

Most newer rigs have an electric switch on both the hot water heater and inside the coach, as others are saying. I think of the one on the heater as a "safety" switch--I leave it on most of the time and simply use the one inside. But if I want to make sure I don't accidentally turn on the electric heater, like when I've drained the tank or I'm using my 15 amp extension cord to my house, I turn off the one on the heater. Yes, you can use both gas an electric. On my Hideout, both switches are side by side inside on the wall. If my wife and I are taking showers back to back I always turn both on to speed up heating. No problem. The manual clearly states you can use both if you choose.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
LZScout

My 2013 Alpine 3250RL only has two switches, one for electric on the water heater itself, and one on the control panel for gas. Both can be on, as others have said. Electric has priority and gas will kick in for faster heating if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
WaltBennett

I use both whenever possible, although I'll turn the gas off when it's cold out overnight. With a ten gallon tank, both my wife and I can take good showers without running out; with the twelve gallon in our Monty, the hot water is just about continuous. Never had any problems with any of my previous rigs doing this either.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
rgn

Thumbs up

leave the outside switch on and shut the electric 110 power off with circut breaker
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #13
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgn View Post
leave the outside switch on and shut the electric 110 power off with circut breaker
this is what I do- when in a park- I leave the electric on all the time- only turning on the propane for morning showers for 5 -6 people. Just helps with recovery. Both run independent of each other with their own controls. Only time I shut switch off out side is when winterizing. This forces me to purge the air out before powering up- or someone being helpful and turning on all the breakers.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote