Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
funpro

Smile Solar panel and regulator

I have a Cougar 244RSWE and want to add a portable 80watt solar panel (including regulator). I had one I attached to the top of my Fleetwood tent trailer and loved it!
Many of the prices I've seen online seem really high. Any suggestions for good sites with reasonable pricing?

We are brand new to the 5th wheel world after spending 7 seasons loving our Fleetwood tent trailer. Like many of you, I assume, we moved from a sleeping bag in a tent to the tent trailer and now UP to a 5th wheel.

An aside: A friend has an older panel and he attaches it to his batteries when dry camping by using a vehicle cigarette lighter (one end connected to the regulator wires and the other to his batteries).
funpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpro View Post
I have a Cougar 244RSWE and want to add a portable 80watt solar panel (including regulator). I had one I attached to the top of my Fleetwood tent trailer and loved it!
Many of the prices I've seen online seem really high. Any suggestions for good sites with reasonable pricing?

We are brand new to the 5th wheel world after spending 7 seasons loving our Fleetwood tent trailer. Like many of you, I assume, we moved from a sleeping bag in a tent to the tent trailer and now UP to a 5th wheel.

An aside: A friend has an older panel and he attaches it to his batteries when dry camping by using a vehicle cigarette lighter (one end connected to the regulator wires and the other to his batteries).
I bought 4 123 Watt panels in November all of them online.

3 were from Newegg.com (normally computers and electronics expertise) they were blowing them out.. 1 from Amazon.com which was still a good price relative to everyone else. I prefer to deal with someone who I am familiar with than a small company. If I bought the exact same panels in a local store, it would be $300 more for each panel!

Try searching for Sunforce branded solar kits that might be what you are looking for. Seems like solar panel pricing has gone up slightly. Might be fuel prices driving them up. Good luck with the search, hope you find a good deal!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
funpro

Smile Thanks

Thanks for your comments and advice, much appreciated.
David
Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I purchased an 85W Kyocera panel and a Morning Star Sunsaver 10-12v charge controller. Not sure, but I think if was from Wholesale Solar in CA. Instead of mounting the panel on the roof, I decided to keep it "portable" and mount it on a folding easel/sandwich board. When not in use or travelling, I store it in a track I made and mounted on "ceiling" of the storage compartment. It is out of the way and secure.
It is not as convenient as a roof-mounted panel, but I really didn't want to drill any more holes in the roof. When leaving the campsite for an extended period, I ensure that it is chained and locked or put away in the storage compartment - out of sight.
Works well in charging the 2 6V Trojans.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
funpro

Smile

Hi, Thanks for the reply. The way you've done it kind of the way I've been thinking also. Did you buy the controller from the same site?

David

Festus2 replied:
Yes, both the panel and controller were bought from the same site.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
gmandi

I picked a 45 Watt 3 panel system up from harbor frieght.
gmandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar panel