Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
Wantoride

Propane tank question

I have a new 23rb and have question in regards to the propane usage. Right now we occasionally use it in the driveway, just getting the feel for it, we live in the midatlantic so it's winterized. When we run anything off the propane, it was suggested when we purchased it that we open both tanks, not one. What is the reason behind doing that, maybe I miss understood the dealer but I understood that it would pull from the first tank that was opened then switch. I would like to pull from only 1 so when it's out I know I have 1 left. Can anyone clarify?
Wantoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Go through the pile of manuals the dealer gave you and locate the one for the regulator.

It should be an auto changeover with a visual indicator to let you know which tank it's drawing from.

Having both tanks open allows this feature do its thing. You can also swap tanks while the gas is on.

Read up on proper operation. It's a nice feature.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Terrydactile

SAD is correct but be sure its an auto change over regulator before you leave both bottles open, otherwise you could drain both tanks unknowingly. I do not have auto change over so I use one bottle at a time. This way when one bottle gets empty I know I have the other bottle to rely on, allowing me to get the empty one filled.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Javi

Check out this video for an explanation of how the auto changeover valves work. As a note... you do not have to open both tanks in order to use the valve. I only open the tank that I switch to primary and it works just fine. We often camp in what passes for winter down here and I like to know I have a full tank available.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Two examples of what it might look like:

Note the lever on each to show where the draw was originally selected. Each type has a dial to show if the draw is still coming from the originally selected tank (green); or if the originally selected tank is empty and changeover has occurred (red).

Since they vary, it's best to understand what's possible, but get the directions for your specific model.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Steve S

I have the same setup that SAD posted and it works fine but like others have said I use 1tank at a time.
I learned the hard way and woke up @ 3am with both tanks empty and I was freezing!
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I have the same setup that SAD posted and it works fine but like others have said I use 1tank at a time.
I learned the hard way and woke up @ 3am with both tanks empty and I was freezing!
I guess it all depends on your habits and usage patterns....

Depending on what you do, you could either wake up at 3 a.m. with ONE tank empty... Or you wake up at 3 a.m. with TWO tanks empty LOL.

Most of my trips are weekend and/or week trips (not long duration)... I leave both valves open and allow auto changeover.

When I'm prepping for a trip, I simply open the propane compartment door and check if I have a red indicator showing. If I do, that mean's it's swapped since my last trip.

I'll get it filled prior to leaving.... Or on the way to the lake (there's a VERY convenient spot for me to pull-off and get metered propane)....

Some times I don't even bother - despite the fact that indicator is red... Because I know it hasn't been red for that long...

This is where knowing your usage patterns is helpful over time. We live in a moderate climate.... We have an electric fireplace and heaters to supplement the furnace... We have dual source hot water (elect and gas).... We cook outside ALOT....

Two 30 lb propane tanks lasted me almost 12 months.

If I lived in a colder environment like our MI or Canadian friends.... Or went on longer trips.. I might change my habits...
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Wantoride

Thanks everyone, I'll go thru the manuals and see what I can find. The diagram and video should explain it the best. I don't even have a gas grill, I've always been a charcoal guy so filling and removal of the tanks will have to be "observed" by my sister inlaw who RARELY uses real fire! That said, thanks
Wantoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
BulletOwner1

I have the auto changeover feature and I use it. We recently were in 0 to 25 degree weather and used a tank about every 3 to 4 days. It worked well.

Please note::::: the auto changeover feature only works well IF YOU LOOK AT IT REGULARLY.... If you don't it's not the regulator's fault if you wake up at 3:00AM freezing!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Roller4Tan

[/QUOTE]Please note::::: the auto changeover feature only works well IF YOU LOOK AT IT REGULARLY.... If you don't it's not the regulator's fault it you wake up at 3:00AM freezing![/QUOTE]

X2
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Steve S

Yes it works well until you're out of propane
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote