Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Irish Reb

What is the best hitch choice?

We have a new Ford F250 HD 4x Diesel and are looking to purchase a Laredo 324RL 5th W. Since this is our first time with this experience we are looking for suggestions as to the type hitch to purchase. The truck bed is 82 inches measured to the tail gate. A slider type is what was recommended.
Just looking for some feedback from you experts. Thanks, John
Irish Reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
87shark

We have a husky 15k slider. With the new style caps you don't always need to reposition the hit h but is nice to have the option. I tow with a gmc2500 short box crew cab
Riley and Sassafrass
(Spoiled German shepherds )
87shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
jsmith948

We use the Reese 16K with a round-bar slider. Very easy to move - never binds up. However, many of the members use the 'Superglide' automatic slider by Pullrite. The hitch automatically moves the trailer back when the truck turns, but they are a little pricey. As already stated, if your nose cap has the new 'max-turn' corners, you'll seldom need to slide.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
tdawg

Hitch

Never take a chance on not sliding a hitch, as a campground host i have seen my share of caved in cab corners and broken windows.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
fendix

My TV isa silverado 2500 hd with a 6.5 ft bed. The 324rl has a maxi turn.. front cap... I think that is the name of it, that should make it easier to make sharp turns. We purchased a pullrite 16 k hitch, non sliding. It was a sharp turn backing up into my driveway, but I made it.
fendix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
FireMech

I have a longbed so don't have the shortbed concerns but went overboard and bought a 20K Curt even though my trailer is probably only 13-14K. Found it used in perfect shape for a great deal, check craigslist.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
SteveC7010

When we bought the Cougar, we had a Dodge dually with an 8' bed so no need for a slider. Money was a bit tight, but I found a Reese 14K in great shape for $100 on CraigsList.

Now we've got the short bed Ford. I kept the Reese 14K and installed new rails in the truck. Air bags are next. The Cougar has the MaxTurn corners. Except to get it out of storage and back to the house, we're not going to be towing it much until June. Our two week trip in June includes a campsite that is big enough and open enough to easily park a couple of tractor trailers with any effort.

So I am in wait and see mode on a slider for the moment.

In my opinion, there aren't really any bad choices for fifth wheel hitches among the name brands. Reese, Draw-Tite, Curt, PullRite, Husky and more are all good products. You have to size the hitch properly for your trailer, of course, but beyond that, you're on pretty safe ground.

As several have mentioned, CraigsList is a great place to find a good bargain on items like this.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Str8shooter

Our PullRite SuperGlide with Super Rails has been a great choice for us and our 2011 Ford F250 6.7L. It is probably one of the most expensive hitches out there but you can't beat the automatic slide feature . . . piece of mind!

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
tanman32225

My vote is for the Pullrite automatic slider. The way it is designed it has to slide to the rear with any side torque on the hitch. Its all automatic so no need getting out and releasing the slider. Mine is in a short bed F250. I have yet to see one I thought was a better design. A few bucks more buys you peace of mind and ease of use.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
PerryB

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck is the Reese 16K round tube slider. Its well built and slides nicely. Flat tube slides get balky when not recently cleaned and lubed. The Pullrite is a great design if you're willing to spend the money, and feel you need an automatic slider. Its not my first choice because with a radiused nose cap and an extended pin box (both of which I think that trailer has) you may never need to slide in the life of the trailer and that big price tag gets hard to justify. but thats not my biggest personal dislike. I don't like the fact that the Pullrite auto-sliders require an indexing pin to be installed on the trailers hitch plate. This means you cant tow the trailer with a non-modified hitch (like another truck might have, in the event of a break down) and your truck can't tow an unmodified trailer. I'm not berating that hitch, its a novel design and well built, just not my favorite for applications that may never actually need it.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
C130

I just installed a Pullrite Superglide in my F250. Pretty easy to find on Craigslist for around $500. I found several, some people were asking outrageous prices but they sell for around $500. The one I bought had only been used a couple of times. I bought the frame brackets for my particular truck and had it installed for $220. If you go with the Superglide you'll need a capture plate for the 5th wheel and they are around $120. I bought the Pullrite 2900 which goes on universal rails vs. Pullrite's Super-rails.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Tikitim

I use Curt 20K with roller and custom brackets and have never had a moments problem with it. Use the hitch that you think is best for your needs but definitely use custom mounting brackets made for your truck as opposed to the universal bracket that usually come with the base rails. No drilling into frame with custom bkts and quicker install time plus a much better installation IMO. I saved about $700.00 getting hitch on Amazon.
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
openroad

Pullrite Superglide

Got to agree with the many other Superglide owners out there. It is hands down the best 'peace of mind' money can buy! All you have to do to appreciate the value is make one wrong turn down a street, with your mammoth on wheels behind you, in a strange town, with impatient traffic behind you (maybe a semi driver, grinning the whole time), while you try and execute a tight k-turn into a parking lot or driveway because heading down the wrong road for several miles in the opposite way you need to go is just not an option you may want to take for reasons of lack of time, good road, daylight, fuel or room in bladder!. Even with Max Turn corners, you can't just turn without some care or concern for that last inch of clearance you may need to make the turn in your shortbed crew. The Superglide lets you focus on making the maneuver, not whether you're gonna take out your rear window! And regarding the fixed capture plate not making it convenient to tow with a non-slider hitch, Pull-Rite makes an adapter that solves that problem, too, Btw, I am not a paid spokesman! But I also like having a completely flat bed during the off season when I remove it for storage.
Jim, DW, DD6, DD4, 2013 Keystone Cougar Xlite FW 29RBS, 2011 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 LT, 4X4 Z-71 Crew, 6.0 liter, 6 speed Allison, 3.73 axle, Pull-Rite SuperGlide 4100 Hitch, Honda U2000i, Dualiner bed liner, Tonnopro cover.
openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Brantlaker

My F250 was ordered with the 5th Wheel Tow Pkg every thing was built in from the factory. The DW & I purchased a Cougar last May and have not needed a Slider until this last trip. 2 times I could have used the slider. When I get home I will spend the $900.00 for the conversion for it. It is better to Have and Never Need Than to Not Have and Need. By the way my hitch is over kill as it is rated for 22,500 lb. (Ford installed at Factory)

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
BeerCan

Late reply but

I have a short bed F350 with the factory prep kit. I ended up getting the Demco Hijacker autoslide. It is the only auto slide I could find besides the pullright. The key difference is that it works with the factory hitch kit. When I picked my 5th up at the dealer my first maneuver had to be a damn near 90 degree turn. Everything turned out fine and I am glad I had the hitch otherwise I might have dinged the truck
BeerCan is offline   Reply With Quote