Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
davidjsimons

Is there a such thing as too much truck?

In my humble estimation, no. Having grown up around trucks and heavy equipment, I've towed all kinds of loads of various weights and sizes. But nothing ever prepared me for towing a travel trailer. What I mean to say is that I've never towed anything as large that was so light. I had asked about the need of a weight distribution hitch and sway bar while using my Ram 3500. I was told by many on this page absolutely yes. I didn't really understand at first and frankly, did not agree but figured that I would go ahead and use it because I bought it with the new travel trailer. After all, I was accustomed to towing loads well in excess of 30,000 lbs and this was just a 6,500 lb travel trailer. Well, on my recent trip from Richmond, Virginia to the Florida Keys, I encountered about eight hours of stiff cross winds and powerful gusts. I would look in the mirror, and from time to time see my trailer moving a quarter of a lane to the side behind me. Am I glad that I had maximum overkill on my tow vehicle? Absolutely! There were a few instances were I reached down and applied a little pressure to the brake control box just to settle things down a bit. I only raise this issue in response to some people's questions about borderline pickups and mid size SUV's. while all of this movement was going on behind me, the truck never moved, not once! Eight hours of this in a borderline adequate vehicle would have made a great trip pure Hell. This is just my own humble opinion based on my own personal experience. To each his own.
On a windy day, the load pictured first tracks better. Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
2011 keystone

I completly agree 100% well said.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
justlkn

I have a 3500 CC dually long bed...hmmmm. let me think...nope! Can never have too much truck!!

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
PerryB

Yeah, but I bet in a stiff wind, the trailer in the first picture smells worse!! Thats quite a poo-shooter you got there (or is that used as a silage spreader?).
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
davidjsimons

Stay up wind.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
2011 keystone

LOL
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
f6bits

That goes to show that no matter how much truck you have, good sway control is a must. I'd freak out if my trailer was drifting in the next lane.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 keystone View Post
I completly agree 100% well said.
X2 I also have pulled large trailers all my life and always go over kill mainly for safety reasons, I like alot of stopping power if needed.........
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
That goes to show that no matter how much truck you have, good sway control is a must. I'd freak out if my trailer was drifting in the next lane.
That was one of the points I was trying to illustrate. On a calm day, it's not a problem, but get caught without it and it could be a rough ride. I have an old saying in regards to big game offshore fishing. It is better to be on shore wishing you were out there, than to be out there wishing you were on shore.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Georgia Rambler

Amen!!! Id rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
davidjsimons

The date of the referenced trip was December 26. People across North and South Carolina most likely remember the weather system that went through. There were Tornado warnings from Rocky Mount to Florence. The biggest gust of wind to hit me was crossing the Savannah River Bridge along 95. That was the shot that moved my trailer about a 1/4 of a lane.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
audio1der

I'd love to agree, but our wallet and the other 340 days a year don't allow for it. Our second vehicle (the TV) is more of a kid to school hauler, and going to a 2500/3500SRW just didn't make sense.
Might have to put a new set if tires on before she hits 10,000 and even ditch the Reese setup w/dual cams for a Hensley, but it HAS to do, and I'll pull over before I put us in danger if need be.

Love all the stories, just thought I'd post from the mortgaged and small kids side
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #13
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
I'd love to agree, but our wallet and the other 340 days a year don't allow for it. Our second vehicle (the TV) is more of a kid to school hauler, and going to a 2500/3500SRW just didn't make sense.
Might have to put a new set if tires on before she hits 10,000 and even ditch the Reese setup w/dual cams for a Hensley, but it HAS to do, and I'll pull over before I put us in danger if need be.

Love all the stories, just thought I'd post from the mortgaged and small kids side
I completely understand your point of view. At least you recognize it. In my specific case, my profession dictated the need for the truck. It is my daily driver. Buying a TT was a complete after thought.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #14
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
I completely understand your point of view. At least you recognize it. In my specific case, my profession dictated the need for the truck. It is my daily driver. Buying a TT was a complete after thought.

Fully. A 2500, even with a Hemi would have been nice but the added height and rough ride were tough to swallow. Headroom (as in more than you need) is ALWAYS a good thing.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
Brantlaker

Enough Truck

There is never enough truck when towing.As long as you take all of your needs and balancing your finances into consideration. To quote Dirty Harry Callahan "You got to know your limitations". So when your Stomach starts to tighten up and your hands get tighter on the wheel pull over please.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Escs36

I once bought a 40' Heartland Cyclone and thought by diesel powered dual rear one ton truck would pull it just fine. It pulled it great but the truck was 100% dependent on the trailer brakes to stop. After the first short trip I bought a F550 with air ride. Too much truck is only way to go. In all honesty, the F550 was great but an F650 would be the smartest option. I cannot believe people pull 40' toy haulers with their 1 ton single rear trucks. Sometimes the guys even have them lifted with over size tires. I think they are out of their minds and I stay way the heck away from them. The biggest problem with being on the road is the unknown. The world is full of stupid, drunk and/or ignorant people. You can never predict what will happen and too much truck can possibly get someone out of a really nasty situation inflicted by somebody else. RV'ing is supposed to be fun and not dangerous.

2013 Keystone Fuzion 301, Dual A/C's, Fantastic Fan 6600R, Upgraded stereo with an amplifier and subwoofer, Dirt Devil Central Vac, Dewalt pancake compressor, Black and Decker Space Maker Coffee maker, Cabinet above garage entry door, 5# mattress topper 2.5" thick
Escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
wharding02

what about too little truck?

my 6cil Xterra went from 20mpg to around 8mpg when I picked up my 238ML. Would a V-8 also suffer such an extreme reduction in gas milleage?
wharding02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharding02 View Post
my 6cil Xterra went from 20mpg to around 8mpg when I picked up my 238ML. Would a V-8 also suffer such an extreme reduction in gas milleage?
Perhaps, perhaps not, the bigger question is the stress and strain on the rest of the truck as it applies to one complete unit. Straight line pulling power is rarely a problem on tow vehicles anymore. From a power perspective, there are many capable options on the market these days. What you really have to consider are braking abilities, axle ratings and payload capacities. My father always said that the throttle could get out of as much trouble as it could get you into if you knew how to handle a car. Well, the same can almost be said for being a bit on the large side with your truck. Stopping concerns are greatly diminished as well as many of the sway issues that many discuss on this forum. Of course, not everybody can justify a 1Ton DRW truck for daily transportation. But what you really must weigh into your consideration is the safety of yourself and your passengers. How much fun is a six hour drive if you have to watch the rear view mirror constantly for semi trucks and remind yourself that you need to lift the throttle so they don't blow you out of the road? One of two scenarios need to play out, either buy a trailer to best fit your needs and your tow vehicle or get the truck that can handle the trailer, that you wish to purchase, safely.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
smiller

I guess the way I would look at it is if your trailer is being blown 1/4 lane out of alignment it's time to get off the road no matter 'how much truck' you have.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
davidjsimons

It's all about your comfort level. Any less truck and I would have had to pull over. How do you think a half ton truck would have handled the situation? There are those that will tell you that You don't need this much truck. I only site my example to point out better to have and not need. Perhaps I don't have enough sense for my knuckles to have turned white, but I never sensed any lack of control of my rig. As I stated, the truck never moved and I was able to apply brake pressure to the trailer through the brake controller to put the trailer back in line.