Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Dan Q

Question trailer tire repair or replace?

Hi, I am wondering what I should do with a tire that picked up a screw in the tread. Should I repair it or replace it? If I repair it I could use it as a spare? It"s a towmaxx and I haven't had any problems with them yet. Thanks for any advice or info.
Dan Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
therink

If you can afford new tires, replace them. The Towmax tires are not good. I replaced mine when three years old before I had a problem, but the was visible cracking in the sidewalls thay were visible when the tire was under stress. Mine were load range D, and replaced them with Maxxi's load range E's. The difference between the two tires is night and day.
If the tire ran flat, I wouldn't question replacing it. If replacing one, then you should replace all 4. Don't settle for cheap Chinese tires no matter what the tire shop tells you. I found my Maxxis to be a very good tire.
Also don't hesitate to have them balanced if you go with new.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
chuck&gail

I'm not a fan of Chinese tires, so personally I would replace them all for that reason alone. The choice is yours.

However, if a tire has a screw or whatever in the tread, it can be repaired by using a patchplug from the INSIDE. Any decent tire shop should be able to do it. If they want to plug it from the outside, find a different tire shop! I've had several tires repaired properly over the years, and none ever caused further trouble.

Also do NOT change the load range on your tires without first checking the rating on the RIMS. Overloading your rims isn't, IMHO, any safer than overloading tires. Rating usually stamped on rear of rim, or in valley UNDER the tire.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote