Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
bs4u00

Laredo 291TG too much for Tundra Crew Max???

Hi,
We sold our Jayflight 29bhs(dry weight 5425 lbs) and the new owners pick it up this weekend. I really liked that trailer but it no longer had enough room.
We've been looking at all the travel trailers out there that can be pulled with a 1/2 ton truck and have settled on another Jayco or a Keystone. In particular, we are strongly considering a 291TG Laredo. What are your opinions on if this is too much trailer for an '07 Tundra Crew Max. Payload is 1515 lbs, max towing cap is 10,100, and GCWR is 16,000 lbs. It does not matter much, but the Jayflight pulled with no issues at all. No swaying with a WD hitch and the setup was fairly level.

The Laredo 291TG is: dry weight 6563, hitch 785 lbs, and GVWR is 8200. If I go with the 20% rule of max tow cap, this trailer falls just over the truck's 20% GVWR of 8080 lbs. The outside kitchen option I'm guessing, is not factored into the dry weight of the trailer. I was also planning on getting the Equalizer WD hitch this time around.

What's your advice? We are trying to get the most options in a trailer, with the most room, yet not be too much trailer for my Tundra. Thanks in advance for any information.
bs4u00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It sounds to me as if you want someone to tell you it is alright. Bottom line is you have the numbers and it is your final decision to be comfortable with this combo. I do believe that the outside kitchen will be included in the dry weight on the trailer's label. Propane tanks (empty) also. Good luck with YOUR decision, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
bs4u00

Hank,

Thanks for your response. But I'm not looking for someone to tell me it is alright. I'm looking for someone who knows about payload, hitch weight, and total trailer weight. I have the numbers in my first post, but I don't know how this all equates to my truck&trailer combo being legal. And if legal, is it safe? I know there are people out there that are much more familiar with this all than myself. For example, actual weight vs dry weight might might be the difference between legal and not. I see people pulling 8000 lb dry weight tt's with 1/2 ton's and then I see someone who won't pull a dry weight tt of 5700 lbs w/ a 1/2 ton because they think its too much.

Thanks!
bs4u00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
rrohrer

I'm not expert, and don't tow that heavy, but by the numbers looks like it should be ok. you still have wiggle room by the numbers. maybe the feel will be a different story. might be good idea to have options to upgrade truck if you don't feel real comfortable with it. my max tow is 7500 and trailer weighs 4800(dry). i feel pretty good with the setup. no sway or stopping issues. but maybe some guys wouldnt like it. i'm guessing loaded i'm around 6000 lbs. so i guess that also put's me around the 20% mark. i was scared it would be too much weight, but it has been fine. u will probly be fine too.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
x96mnn

From the specs you list mathematically you should be fine.

But there are concerns to think about. Loaded up my bet that camper will be close to 8000pds, means 1200pds should be on your hitch for a decent ride. Yes you can weight distro it and if you add an anti sway system may be able to offset the sway you could experience with less weight on the hitch. But at 1200 pds you have a truck that will be riding low in the back and not a lot of room for gear in the back without a higher end hitch set up.

I am not familiar with the tundra although I hear its a great truck and I am sure power will not be an issue. Do you know your wheel base on that rig? I ask because I too just two months ago faced the same decision you have on if my half ton Dodge can do it or not and it was not the weight but the length that made me say no. What made me say no was my wheel base on my truck compared to the length of the camper which was 34.4 feet hitch to bumper. I have a 140" wheel base and you could get the half tone up to 167" in dodge which if I had I most likely would have pulled the trigger. A lot of people forget about wheel base but it is a big factor when it comes to longer trailers and too short of a rig can increase the amount of sway you experience. There is a towing wheel base rule thumb that a 110" wheelbase can tow a 20' trailer and then you can add 1' of trailer for each additional 4" of wheelbase. In my case I had a 140" wheelbase but that calculation suggested I should have around 167" wheelbase Taking in my driving ability, comfort level and the fact the wheelbase of my rig was borderline to not adequette I decided I needed a shorter camper or a 2500 truck. I took a shorter camper.

Again this was my decision at the end and I am not saying at all this is not a good set up.

Good luck as I know what your going through and its not easy!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs4u00 View Post
Hank,

Thanks for your response. But I'm not looking for someone to tell me it is alright. I'm looking for someone who knows about payload, hitch weight, and total trailer weight. I have the numbers in my first post, but I don't know how this all equates to my truck&trailer combo being legal. And if legal, is it safe? I know there are people out there that are much more familiar with this all than myself. For example, actual weight vs dry weight might might be the difference between legal and not. I see people pulling 8000 lb dry weight tt's with 1/2 ton's and then I see someone who won't pull a dry weight tt of 5700 lbs w/ a 1/2 ton because they think its too much.

Thanks!
If you use the trailers Gross weight rating for your calculations you can't go wrong. Also consider the weight of the hitch and weight distribution system from your payload. The sticker on your door will tell you your payload. (GVW - Curb weight = Payload) Now start subtracting from there ... passengers, pets, gear, hitch & W/D and finally tongue weight of the GVW of the trailer. You are closer than you think. When you say legal ... most states look at the GVW as the weight of the trailer. (Without putting it on a scale)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Straasha

I have the 291TG and pull it with a GMC Sierra Denali. The issue you will have is not the trailer weight but the tongue weight and cargo weight. My max tongue weight is 1100 lbs. I have measured the 2901TG's tongue weight with a bathroom scale and a 4x4 to be at 1060 lbs just before our last trip. That is with no water in the tanks. I don't think I would be able to travel with any water on board. As far as the cargo weight, my max cargo is 1550 lbs. If you subtract the tongue weight, I have 490 lbs left. This weight includes your passengers too. Depending on the size of your family, you could easily max this weight leaving 0 lbs to put in the bed of your truck. I only put our bikes in the bed of our truck but nothing else.
Straasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Bob Landry

I'm pulling a 227RL with a Tundra at around 8000 lbs. I'm using a Reese WD/DC with 1200lb bars and have no problems at all. If I were going to be concerned about something, it would be the truck payload capacity and rear axle ratings. We load everything in the trailer and very little in the truck and it does fine. I lock out 6th gear and it tows fine at 2000 RPM all day long. I don't know how your truck is set up, but I have the tow package and a 4:30 rear end, so that buys a lot of wiggle room and towing power. Adjust the WD to return the front end to the unhitched height and you'll be fine.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
therink

With the 291tg gvwr being 8,200, the 15% tongue weight will be around 1200lbs. I think you are pushing the limits and should really consider a 3/4ton or different trailer. You also need to factor in the weight of all truck options, cargo in bed, cargo in cab and weight of passengers. Trust me, there is nothing worse than having too much trailer for a truck. I have done it.
I would recommend loading up your truck as if you are camping for a week and weigh the truck at a scale. This will tell you how much room you have for tongue weight.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote