Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
matstam13

Generator Storage Compartment Alpine 3450RL

Does anyone know if the front storage compartment on a 2012 Alpine 3450RL will support the wieght of a generac 5500 watt generator? it wieghs 180 lbs, i called keystone and got an answer of "it should, it doesn't give an actual wieght it just says to distribute load evenly". my question to that was how can i distrubute the load evenly of a generator.
I know the floor is metal and was told by the dealership that is was a generator compartment, i just dont know how sturdy it is.
matstam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
geo

Matstam12 -

As you can see from my signature line, I have a Onan 5500 LP generator in my Alpine. Yes, the front storage compartment is the generator compartment. My generator is installed on the starboard side of this compartment. The floor is removed on side so the bottom of the generator is exposed for cooling and oil & filter changes. There is a "metal compartment" that is surrounding the generator to separate its area from the storage area. The generator is held in by brackets.

Of all the issues and modifications I've done to my Alpine, I haven't done anything to the generator or its area but change the oil!

Did you get your Alpine 3450RL with the "Generator Prep"? If not, there will have to be electrical cables run from the is compartment, through a separate breaker in the storage area, and back to the "utility basement" where a Automatic Transfer Switch will be located. This was the major recall on the Alpines so far - you can find the threads on that easily. If you did get the "generator prep", when the installer opens the ATS to connect the generator, be sure they check to see if they need to clean the sawdust out of the ATS if present! You should also have the lug screws in the ATS checked for their torque once a year. I personally replaced my ATS with a Surge Guard ATS 40250 - I didn't want the replacement on the Iota recall.

As far as distributing the weight evenly? The generator is only around 200 pounds and located on the opposite side from the kitchen appliances (and black tank). Though not directly across, the 200# will help counterbalance the fridge!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
matstam13

I actually have a portable one, i will have to pull it in and out everytime i use it. but good point about putting it opposite the fridge. i actually put mine on the same side as the fridge, i will have to switch it. as far as traveling with it in the compartment without having the extra brackets you have do you think the metal floor is sturdy enough for any bouncing that may occur duriong travel?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
geo

I would think a few D-ring brackets and a couple of come-along straps would allow it to ride safely. The metal pan seems quite sturdy. Maybe a couple of 1x4s to spread the weight.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
matstam13

thanks for the info
Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
mhs4771

I just have a stupid question: Does Charles Atlas travel with you?? Putting in and removing a 200 Lbs genny is going to be a chore. Just 50 Lb Hondas were enough, especially since you have to bend over to get access, then drop down a few more inches to the floor, then pulling it out will need a small winch. Part of the reason we ordered our SOB with the On board genny.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Bushman512000

the shaker is what a generace is and apart is the last name

save the $$$$$ and also the noise go to a RED or Blue inverter type ok You will be happy and have a better unit most people will agree Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
mhs4771

Bushman, you had me for a moment, didn't know what you were trying to say, then the Light lit up and I got it. My thoughts were that the OP already had the generator, I just can't see how you could put it (200 Lbs) in an out like a portable. We had two Reds we stored in the Front of our Montana and eventually moved them to the tool box in the bed of the TV, because as light as they were it was still difficult to get them in and out when bent over.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Bushman512000

got You Eh

sorry not ment to Put if You know that brand of gen You do know how to run.I had a deal years ago was a good as any Ladda car that was ever made it was a open frame 3000 genaratterler cheep to buy but ran like a chain saw did not make friends in any camp grounds...the other red and blue ones do not fill the air with noise and are easy on fuel that helps with the High fuel lol a bit Have a great nite Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
steamfitter78

I will be in nebraska all winter and will purchase a gen. before winter. 3450 prewired. You guys with the onan's. Do you like it or would you buy something else. I am leaning toward the 5500. And why is the gen. compartment chalked and sealed. Or am i missing something. Thanks
steamfitter78 is offline   Reply With Quote