Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Teddy

Air conditioner issue

We have a 2012 cougar high country. Sometimes when the air shuts off 2 or 3 seconds after the fan comes on and stays on. You have to shut the thermostat off and back on to get the fan to shut off. It's a dometic LCD single zone thermostat. Has anyone any ideas?
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Is the "Fan" set to "Auto" or "On". If it is set to "On" it is working properly.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
therink

X2- if the fan switch is set to on position, the fan will always run whether compressor is running or not. I leave mine on all the time when using ac as it eliminates warm spots and makes good noise for sleeping. I also sometimes run the ac fan when running the furnace as it helps keep the warm air evenly distributed.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Teddy

The fan is set to auto. Talked to keystone and they said it sounded like a loose wire. Dealer is 4 hours away and said they would have to diagnose it which trying to avoid taking it 4 hours back to them. It dosent do it all the time maybe every 3 or 4 days.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
therink

The first thing I would do is remove the thermostat at check all connections. It could also be a bad switch on the thermostat. Next would be to check connections in the unit itself. Not that hard. 4 screws to drop inside cover. While you are in there you can check the 4 roof mount bolts to make sure they are snug (not to tight though). You could also check our the factory foil tape job and make sure all duct openings aren't caved in or poorly sealed/taped. I know mime was when new.
Anything is better than 4 hr drive to dealer.
Btw-nor sure what thermostat you have, but I replaced my cheap OEM thermostat with a basic Hunter digital for around $30. Much better.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
The fan is set to auto. Talked to keystone and they said it sounded like a loose wire. Dealer is 4 hours away and said they would have to diagnose it which trying to avoid taking it 4 hours back to them. It dosent do it all the time maybe every 3 or 4 days.
Listen to what people are saying. It's working the way it is supposed to and no, it doesn't do it all the time. There something to do with a 2 degree temp differential or something to that effect. There's a post I put in here some months ago that talks about this. Look at your manual for the thermostat and it explains it.

I looked this up for you. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ght=thermostat
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
Listen to what people are saying. It's working the way it is supposed to and no, it doesn't do it all the time. There something to do with a 2 degree temp differential or something to that effect. There's a post I put in here some months ago that talks about this. Look at your manual for the thermostat and it explains it.

I looked this up for you. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ght=thermostat
The OP didn't mention a digital thermostat. The standard analog thermostat would not sense the differential.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The OP didn't mention a digital thermostat. The standard analog thermostat would not sense the differential.
Okay.... and he didn't mention it was a analog but did say it was, "set to auto". How do you set an analog to auto? From the info given I would again say there's about a 99% chance it's working as it should.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Halibutman214 -
We have an analog Duo-Therm Dometic thermostat and it has a Fan Switch that has two settings: ON and AUTO. When this fan switch is set to Auto, the A/C fan runs whenever cooling is required and stops when it isn't needed. When in the ON position, the fan will run continuously.
I think this is how you would set an analog to auto - by the Fan Switch.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Halibutman214 -
We have an analog Duo-Therm Dometic thermostat and it has a Fan Switch that has two settings: ON and AUTO. When this fan switch is set to Auto, the A/C fan runs whenever cooling is required and stops when it isn't needed. When in the ON position, the fan will run continuously.
I think this is how you would set an analog to auto - by the Fan Switch.
Didn't know they made an analog like that. Not even noon yet and I already learned something. Thank you
Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
CUFFS054

Jumping in where I certainly don't belong, BUT, the op did mention the termo being LCD. That would lead me to think digital not analog. The analogs do have the auto/on switch also.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote