Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #1
bruceflinch

Weird tire wear.

Springdale Mini 1800BH.
Will post a pic if I can manage my tech phobia.
3500 miles on new tires and the right side is way more worn than the left. Running about 65 psi .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023AC93-6800-45B6-9B5C-37AD58CAFE40.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	42040   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B9921A9-57F8-48ED-B677-7E6D0181B7A9.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	42041  
bruceflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
jasin1

looks like a bent axle or spring on that side…possibly but not likely it’s tire scrub from sharp maneuvering while backing in to your driveway or storage spot campsite etc
Old 10-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Looks like a bent spindle or bent axle has scuffed the tread off the outside tread. Get the unit to a dealer or trailer frame/spring repair shop.

Please create a signature with the full make model and year of your trailer and tow vehicle as required by the forum's community rules.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
Hblick48

Looks like alignment to me.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
Springdale Mini 1800BH.
3500 miles on new tires and the right side is way more worn than the left. Running about 65 psi .
As mentioned either axle, spindle or bearing issues or possibly just an alignment.
What brand of tires? If some of the China Bombs mentioned numerous times on here replace them ASAP before they blow & do $1000s damage.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
looks like a bent axle or spring on that side…possibly but not likely it’s tire scrub from sharp maneuvering while backing in to your driveway or storage spot campsite etc
Won’t be tire scrub, the 1800 mini is a single axle. Could definitely be a bent axle or spring issue.

With the standard axle on the mini, I don’t think there’s any adjustment for alignment. If the axle was installed at an angle, there’s be wear on both tires. Unfortunately, I’d say you need a new axle.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:00 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Won’t be tire scrub, the 1800 mini is a single axle. Could definitely be a bent axle or spring issue.

With the standard axle on the mini, I don’t think there’s any adjustment for alignment. If the axle was installed at an angle, there’s be wear on both tires. Unfortunately, I’d say you need a new axle.
There are no user "adjustments" for alignment, but most any trailer repair shop, not a rv shop, would be able to bend the axle into proper alignment.
I had my last 5er aligned, both castor & camber, & a couple rvs I've owned in the past, afterwards the tires all wore evenly til time for replacement.
Just curious! You've been posting on here for quite some time, why haven't you added the "mandatory" signature?
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-21-2022, 05:59 AM   #8
bruceflinch

Thanks for the comments!
Old 10-21-2022, 06:27 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There are no user "adjustments" for alignment, but most any trailer repair shop, not a rv shop, would be able to bend the axle into proper alignment.
I had my last 5er aligned, both castor & camber, & a couple rvs I've owned in the past, afterwards the tires all wore evenly til time for replacement.
Just curious! You've been posting on here for quite some time, why haven't you added the "mandatory" signature?
I owned a Forest River small toy hauler at one time and one of the two axles was bent a bit. I searched all over the San Antonio are and there were no shops that would repair/bend the axle back. One shop did this in the past but no longer did. San Antonio is a large city and maybe I was too dumb to find a place but I ended up buying a new axle and replacing the one that was bent. My tires looked scrubbed similar to the one in the picture and you could actually see the tire deflect when on a flat surface after pulling the camper forward then back a bit. Shipping charge for the new axle is what bit me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I owned a Forest River small toy hauler at one time and one of the two axles was bent a bit. I searched all over the San Antonio are and there were no shops that would repair/bend the axle back. One shop did this in the past but no longer did. San Antonio is a large city and maybe I was too dumb to find a place but I ended up buying a new axle and replacing the one that was bent. My tires looked scrubbed similar to the one in the picture and you could actually see the tire deflect when on a flat surface after pulling the camper forward then back a bit. Shipping charge for the new axle is what bit me.
I lived in a little jerk water oilfield town in the Texas panhandle that had 2 shops that could do trailer alignments & my last one was done in Elkhart in a shop that stated they did 100s of them. Whether any of these shops still are in business or still do alignments I don't know for sure.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-21-2022, 08:41 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
I lived in a little jerk water oilfield town in the Texas panhandle that had 2 shops that could do trailer alignments & my last one was done in Elkhart in a shop that stated they did 100s of them. Whether any of these shops still are in business or still do alignments I don't know for sure.
My guess is many have stopped for liability reasons. Axle manufacturers probably (don’t know for sure) recommend replacement vs repair, they’d love to sell a new axle. If an axle were to break and kill someone, lawyers would go to the manufacturer and get there recommendation and then go to the shop that did the work. Lawyers screw up a lot of good things that used to work just fine and save people a lot of money. JMO.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:46 AM   #12
bruceflinch

My Brother and I jacked up the trailer.

The wheels appear to be within 1/16” between each other on the front and rear sides.

Set up a screwdriver pointing at the edge of the wheel rim and spun the tire. No out of round wheel detected.

Will call Keystone Customer Service on Monday to discuss.

Ordered a Goodyear replacement tire. Will install it on the left side and put the good Tread Star tire on the Right side.
Will see what happens on the trip back to CA, if Keystone doesn’t have a good answer. ( currently in Michigan )

Thank you for your support.
bruceflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:49 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

This is a good place to start:

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001920.pdf

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:00 AM   #14
bruceflinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Thank you Chuck!

I also noticed on the quick reply feature that showing your Signature is an option!
So maybe that is where a little controversy starts. Just saying. 😊
Old 10-22-2022, 10:01 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
My Brother and I jacked up the trailer.

The wheels appear to be within 1/16” between each other on the front and rear sides.

Set up a screwdriver pointing at the edge of the wheel rim and spun the tire. No out of round wheel detected.

Will call Keystone Customer Service on Monday to discuss.

Ordered a Goodyear replacement tire. Will install it on the left side and put the good Tread Star tire on the Right side.
Will see what happens on the trip back to CA, if Keystone doesn’t have a good answer. ( currently in Michigan )

Thank you for your support.
I'd recommend replacing both tires with a matching set. It appears at least in one of tires you pictured the cord has broken, tire is trash. By the way the tread on both appear rounded I'd say both are trash.
If you want to keep the Tread Star China bomb as a spare that would be the only use I'd have for it & wouldn't be real trusting of it for that.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I'd recommend replacing both tires with a matching set. It appears at least in one of tires you pictured the cord has broken, tire is trash. By the way the tread on both appear rounded I'd say both are trash.
If you want to keep the Tread Star China bomb as a spare that would be the only use I'd have for it & wouldn't be real trusting of it for that.
After reading this I went back and looked at the tire pics on a larger screen on my pc. I agree, looks to me like both tires have defects as the tread is "bowed out" in the center. I suggest replacing all the tires and then closely monitor them for abnormal wear.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #17
jasin1

tires should be replaced like you replace a pair of shoes..both left and right..you wouldn’t buy just one side
Old 10-27-2022, 07:13 AM   #18
cdotson

I have a Mini 1800BH also. I haven't noticed extreme tire wear as you have but I have noticed that the camper is more heavily weighted toward the door side. With matching tires (both OEMs and the Carlisle range D I replaced them with) and identical tire pressure on level ground the door side tire appears more "squat" than the driver's side tire. On mine I have a witness mark where the axle has smacked the gas hard line and frame on the door side but not the other side. I attempt to compensate for this by loading more heavily in the dinette and bunk area.

I've never scaled the trailer wheels but you'd need to do each tire independently to see if the door-side bias is due to the OEM configuration or because it's easy to load up the fridge/pantry/tub on the door side and put bulky but lightweight items in the dinette/bunks on the other side.
cdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #19
Wilco

Did you check to see if the brakes were dragging on the wear side?
Most rv manufacturers put tires on that barely meet the weight rating of the trailer. I would consider going one size wider on the replacement tires.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:44 PM   #20
Tireman9

Quote:
Springdale Mini 1800BH.

Out of Alignment.

Could be bent axle or a bend where spindle attaches to axle, but that's still an alignment issue.