Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2022, 01:41 PM   #1
Ralph c

Lighting.

Can you relocate the main light switch for the main cabin lights that is by the back bedroom to by the front door
Also can you add a light switch for an out side light a the front door outside with out turning on the awning light. Thank you any ideas would be appreciated
Ralph c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Without knowing what RV you have any replies will be generic. Create a signature:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...412#post517412

Anything is possible with the right amount of money

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph c View Post
Can you relocate the main light switch for the main cabin lights that is by the back bedroom to by the front door
Also can you add a light switch for an out side light a the front door outside with out turning on the awning light. Thank you any ideas would be appreciated
As mentioned, without the RV model, all we can do is guess.

My rig also has the main cabin light switch at the "wrong" end of the cabin. But it also has inCommand right by the door, which can turn on the lights with one button push and one screen tap. Does yours?
Old 10-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #4
Camping family

Also have a lighting question. Looking for some kind of light I can put outside the door. Would like to attach it to the outside wall if possible.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Also have a lighting question. Looking for some kind of light I can put outside the door. Would like to attach it to the outside wall if possible.
What function are you trying to accomplish? If you're looking for a floodlight type lighting, maybe a "scare light", if you're wanting a entry door light, or a "under the steps" light, or a "service light" so you can find the key slot in the door lock ????

There are lots of solutions for putting a light outside the door. But some would work better than others. Also, things like location are important. For example, putting a light "on top of the door" or "right beside the door" will attract "night flying bugs" and every time you open the door, in come the bugs...

So, what are you trying to accomplish, how much light do you need and where are you anticipating installing it ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #6
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What function are you trying to accomplish? If you're looking for a floodlight type lighting, maybe a "scare light", if you're wanting a entry door light, or a "under the steps" light, or a "service light" so you can find the key slot in the door lock ????

There are lots of solutions for putting a light outside the door. But some would work better than others. Also, things like location are important. For example, putting a light "on top of the door" or "right beside the door" will attract "night flying bugs" and every time you open the door, in come the bugs...

So, what are you trying to accomplish, how much light do you need and where are you anticipating installing it ????
Looking for something to light up the outside area of the door. Have two puppies to take outside and need lighting at dark. Would like something like a porch light.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
LHaven

I see you have 2020 Cougar. Doesn't it have an under-awning light already?
Old 10-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

As has been mentioned, don't you have a porch light and awning light already? If so, how much light are you wanting and where/what do you want illuminated?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #9
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As has been mentioned, don't you have a porch light and awning light already? If so, how much light are you wanting and where/what do you want illuminated?
The awning light when closed isn’t much. What I’m looking for is light up the area outside the door. Light for when we take the dogs out at night or early morning. We keep a small pen just outside the door. Thinking I will get some solar lights to put next to the pen. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I thought that the 2020 Cougars had an "under" awning LED strip? That's what I remember from looking at them but..... Our under awning LED strip is bright; so bright I won't turn them on unless the conditions are right so I don't bother anyone. If you don't have those, and your porch light (which ours is plenty bright as well) don't give you enough light you could try plug in LED motion activated lights in your outside AC outlet, or, you could run an extension cord and then plug one of those lights in and have it under your stairs or.... lots of options but I'm wondering what happened to those bright under the awning LED lights.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:31 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have the LEDs on the awning rail, just extend the awning an inch or two to get the brightness you desire.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:40 AM   #12
DAMILLER_SR

This is not exactly what you are requesting, but I found these things to be very useful. You put up a small metal bar above your exterior doorway and they are activated by motion. There's also a position switch for always on. But they obviously peel off the doorway pretty easy because there are magnetic and they are fairly bright. Of course that means you have to take him inside when you travel, but I keep two of them inside of my rig so that if somebody goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night they don't have to turn on any other overhead lights. They are USB rechargeable, and I have to recharge about once every month or two when I'm not using my rv.
LED Motion Sensor Cabinet Light,Under Counter Closet Lighting, Wireless USB Rechargeable Kitchen Night Lights,Battery Powered Operated Light,54-LED Light for Wardrobe,Closets,Cabinet,Cupboard(2 Pack)
https://a.co/d/6C77BHs
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
Cowbell

I have used a solar powered motion activated light that would be placed near entry. Worked fantastic.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light