Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
linux3

An honest RV salesman?

Go to the end of this video for his comments on a 1/2 ton towable.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds a lot like what you hear on here. You don't get many RV sales folks that will speak to that, or as he mentioned, even able to speak to it because they don't know. Also, I guess he's at Bish RVs now. He used to be at Haylett's (his family owned it) as I recall but guess he decided to move over here. I've watched a lot of his videos and he's pretty enjoyable and straight shooting.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Well explained for the novice! Nice honest assessment.

Good luck, Happy camping,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:33 PM   #4
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Also, I guess he's at Bish RVs now. He used to be at Haylett's (his family owned it) as I recall but guess he decided to move over here.
Josh is still at the same place.
His Haylett RV family's business sold to Bish RV.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #5
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Also, I guess he's at Bish RVs now. He used to be at Haylett's (his family owned it) as I recall but guess he decided to move over here. I've watched a lot of his videos and he's pretty enjoyable and straight shooting.
Bish RV bought Haylett about 8-10 months ago. Josh is still on the job at the same location just a different name on the building.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks! After I posted that about Josh decided I ought to look up what went on and found his explanation. I know for a while when I would research an RV his videos weren't around like they used to be so maybe they'll be back (he said on the video I watched they wanted him to continue).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #7
wrvond

I would not call him an honest sales person by any stretch. He is, however, a consummate sale person.
I bought my camper from them. Would not do it again.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #8
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Josh is still at the same place.
His Haylett RV family's business sold to Bish RV.
Thanks for clarifying this. I was really confused when I watched the vide, because I've watched a LOT of videos from Josh. I even did a Google search on Haylett and Bish and they have the same address.

It will probably take a while to get use to this. His videos are always good, informative, and he's a straight shooter.

The other one that is really good on YouTube is Big Truck Big RV: Click here.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Thanks for clarifying this. I was really confused when I watched the vide, because I've watched a LOT of videos from Josh. I even did a Google search on Haylett and Bish and they have the same address.

It will probably take a while to get use to this. His videos are always good, informative, and he's a straight shooter.

The other one that is really good on YouTube is Big Truck Big RV: Click here.
Haven’t you noticed that every single RV he reviews is the best ever?

Old 08-09-2022, 07:19 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Haven’t you noticed that every single RV he reviews is the best ever?
That's what makes a salesmen a "good" salesman. They can take the poorest object and make it sound marvelous. I enjoy watching Josh because of his enthusiasm.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:28 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
That's what makes a salesmen a "good" salesman. They can take the poorest object and make it sound marvelous. I enjoy watching Josh because of his enthusiasm.
I don’t agree with that. As a salesman with rv experience, there were things I hated about certain floor plans and I had no problem pointing those things out to people. Of course, I always put the caveat that those things were important to me, may not be to them, but something for them to consider. I always had other trailers in mind that I could move to if they agreed. The fact that I pointed out good and bad built a lot of trust and resulted in a lot of sales.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #12
jsb5717

Josh is a bit of a goof but I also enjoy his videos. I do think that he does a good job of pointing out things that could be improved and will often ask for feedback on those kinds of things. Having been in sales and sales management most of my career the overarching charge was “you can’t sell what you don’t have, so sell what you’ve got”. You can sell anything honestly. Pros/Cons, Strengths/Weaknesses…just be honest. There’s usually something for every budget and folks will decide what they can or can’t live with.

In an industry of questionable data (towing and payload weights) and iffy ethics, IMHO Josh is one of the good ones.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #13
bsmith0404

As far as his thoughts on the door placement, there’s some good and bad about it. Moving the door and pushing the dinette back doesn’t work too well on a rear kitchen. The door creates space for the counter/fridge area. On this one, you would lose the only counter space it has along with the lower cabinets. On early “1/2 ton towables” moving the door forward was also difficult because the axle placement would get pushed back and increase pin weight. Saw that on many models. With the steps that fold into the door, that’s no longer and issue, the door/axle relationship can be anywhere since you don’t need space under the rv for the steps to fold in. I know that’s not the subject of this thread, but figured I’d throw it out there.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #14
wrvond

I'll be the first to agree that Josh is a great sales person. I have no doubt he could sell ice machines to Eskimos. He (and by extension the company) have identified a glaring flaw in the system in terms of dealerships that will assure the buyer that their F150 will tow anything on the lot. Bish's makes a point of asking what tow vehicle the buyer has and makes it clear what the tow requirements for each camper are.
I tried to talk to Josh on three occasions but like any YouTube celebrity he didn't deign to talk to me. I suggested that he might want to include information about In Command and auto level on the campers equipped with those items. Not interested. Finally, he is adamant about how there is nothing their dealership won't do - how important the customer is and how they will "make things happen". Turns out they really aren't any different than any other dealership. The service department sucks in a major way. I won't get into specifics here because I don't think it's appropriate, but suffice to say that while Josh and the company he represents aren't the worst, they are far from what they want us to believe. Which brings me back to the original premise - Josh is an awesome sales person but don't make the mistake of thinking he is an honest straight shooting tell it like it is sale person. Like any good seller, he will gloss over the shortcomings and highlight the positives but nothing more than that.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #15
wrvond

So which is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-09 123250.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	41067  

Old 08-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I don’t agree with that. As a salesman with rv experience, there were things I hated about certain floor plans and I had no problem pointing those things out to people. Of course, I always put the caveat that those things were important to me, may not be to them, but something for them to consider. I always had other trailers in mind that I could move to if they agreed. The fact that I pointed out hood and bad built a lot of trust and resulted in a lot of sales.
I see no real benefit for any salesperson to ever fast talk a potential buyer. That isn't the way to build long term sales. If someone lies to me and attempts to talk me into buying something inappropriate to my needs or wants, would I go back to that business? I know a lot of salespeople work on commission and there is pressure to make sales so whenever I want to buy, I do my research. Unfortunately for first time buyers, they will NOT know what they really will find important until they own a trailer. We owned a perfectly adequate bumper pull and found out that a curtain between the bed and main cabin wouldn't work (wife likes to sleep in and I am an early riser who likes to turn on the news). Just one example of many small things you either find unacceptable as a first time buyer after purchase or learn to live with. The worst sin is putting new owners in an unsafe situation by not knowing or lying about the ability to tow a camper... tow ratings!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Oh yeah, another point... sales guy mentioned few were going for the GY Endurance/TPMS package. He seemed kind of stunned that it wasn't more popular. I noted that the camper in question had the TKs mounted. I know you can do a better price sourcing quality tires and a TPMS than what Keystone is asking but it would be convenient to drive off with tires and a TPMS that give a measure of confidence.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Unfortunately for first time buyers, they will NOT know what they really will find important until they own a trailer. !
That’s why I had no problem pointing out things I didn’t like as a seasoned RVer. It’s easy for first time buyers to see something “different” and fall in love. Even if that small difference really isn’t something that is important. I always felt that if I had a repeat customer, I/we missed something the first time around. Sure you get repeat customers because things change, but if their situation hasn’t changed and they just didn’t like what they have, I made a mistake. I had very few repeat customers, but a ton of referrals. Still get a bunch of referrals, even though I retired 1.5 years ago. I have a couple guys I trust that I can pass them too though.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Nothing wrong with pointing out things you don't care for personally in terms of ergonomics, floor plan, etc. Just that once you are in a trailer, you will find things that are hard to live with. We had to have a door to the bedroom. The "bathtub" in our little camper is 4' long and 2' wide (no on could bath in that thing) so had to figure out a way not to wear the shower curtain when showering (an articulated shower rod did it). The television was difficult to view if in the original location and I figured out how to install an extending and articulating mount. You learn to modify/adapt but you can sometimes not adapt or modify a floor plan that doesn't suit.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #20
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Nothing wrong with pointing out things you don't care for personally in terms of ergonomics, floor plan, etc. Just that once you are in a trailer, you will find things that are hard to live with. We had to have a door to the bedroom. The "bathtub" in our little camper is 4' long and 2' wide (no on could bath in that thing) so had to figure out a way not to wear the shower curtain when showering (an articulated shower rod did it). The television was difficult to view if in the original location and I figured out how to install an extending and articulating mount. You learn to modify/adapt but you can sometimes not adapt or modify a floor plan that doesn't suit.
Yep, and most salesmen can’t relate to those things because they don’t own/use RVs. I do, and have for 20 years. Those are the little things that people don’t think about. My advice was always to think about your daily routine. If you drink coffee every morning, shower, watch the news, do you get up at the same time or is one of you and early riser? It’s the little things you do every day that will make you love or hate an rv. The thing you do once a week that takes 5 mins, you can live with a minor inconvenience. I personally hated one rv I owned because of wheee I had to put the coffee pot.