Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
Jason.rhodes86

Fresh water tank filling on city water

Forgot I had my drain open from last weekend from using water pump. Hooked up to city water today and noticed it started draining. After a while my gage is showing water tank is filling. What Would cause this and what’s the solution?
Jason.rhodes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:42 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you have a valve at the connection for tank fill/city water? Was it set correctly?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:21 AM   #3
Jason.rhodes86

There are separate hookups for each. I connected to the city water, and it works fine into the camper, but it is also filling the fresh water tank, which has a separate connection.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If the tank fill is a separate connection then the check valve in the water pump is the issue. You might try turning off the city water and operating the water pump for a few minutes. If that doesn’t fix it then you’ll need to rebuild/replace the pump.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:02 AM   #5
Jason.rhodes86

Yeah tried using the water pump for a while then switching back and didn’t fix it. So looks like a pump issue. Frustrating because thing is only a year old. Thank you
Old 07-02-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
Poppy

Jason, my trailer is only three years old, I’ve never used the fresh water tank or the pump, and last week we had to empty the tank twice. Seems like last week was not a good time to camp. YEAH, RIGHT!
I think I had a repair to do about every day, and now that we’re home, I still have two more to do.
I still enjoy camping. Someone wii have to pry the keys from my cold dead fingers before I give it up.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
Jason.rhodes86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If the tank fill is a separate connection then the check valve in the water pump is the issue. You might try turning off the city water and operating the water pump for a few minutes. If that doesn’t fix it then you’ll need to rebuild/replace the pump.
The check valve is inside of the water pump correct?
Old 07-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.rhodes86 View Post
The check valve is inside of the water pump correct?
Yes. It's a part of the pump diaphragm assembly. You can usually disassemble the pump head and find some plastic drill shards that were drawn into the pump from the fresh water tank. Those plastic shards are a "product of building the tank" and come from drilling the mount holes in the tank. You'd be amazed at the amount of "trash" that's in the FW tank in most RV's....

Do yourself a "favor" and when you clean out the pump head, also install a inflow strainer basket on the pump inlet fitting. It'll be one of the best $8 investments in plumbing protection you could make.

Here's a photo of the strainer basket and the pump head diaphragm check valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLOJET CHECK VALVE.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	40542   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLOJET PUMP STRAINER.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	40543  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #9
BillBachman

Without seeing the pump, does the pump itself have to outlets? One going to the sinks and one going to the city water side? Because it is pressuring up and coming out the city water inlet.
BillBachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #10
bobbecky

If the internal check valve is leaking and the pump otherwise works fine, adding an inline check valve on the pressure side of the pump will solve the problem. I did this years ago and it worked perfectly. I had to replace the pump some years later but the check valve is still in place and does not restrict water flow. It is the brass fitting near the lower center of the photo and is a Sharkbite type fitting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new check valve.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	40553  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If the internal check valve is leaking and the pump otherwise works fine, adding an inline check valve on the pressure side of the pump will solve the problem. I did this years ago and it worked perfectly. I had to replace the pump some years later but the check valve is still in place and does not restrict water flow. It is the brass fitting near the lower center of the photo and is a Sharkbite type fitting.
That will work to resolve the backflow problem into the tank, but does nothing to remove the foreign object/drill shard/trash from the pump diaphragm. Eventually, that piece of "what ever it is" will wear into the diaphragm and affect its ability to maintain the seal required to pressurize the water drawn into the pump. When that happens, that "piece of stuff" will have damaged the pump diaphragm, likely beyond repair. Even with the addition of another check valve in the pump output tubing, I'd recommend getting the trash out of the pump head before it causes irrepairable damage to the pump.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2022, 02:20 PM   #12
Jason.rhodes86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post
Without seeing the pump, does the pump itself have to outlets? One going to the sinks and one going to the city water side? Because it is pressuring up and coming out the city water inlet.
One outlet. The pump draws from the tank and pumps out into mainline. The city water intake goes into that same line but after where it comes out of the pump if that makes sense
Old 07-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #13
BillBachman

Fixed!

So thinking the whole time to my self after back flushing the tank to pump line. Blowing the line from the pump to the faucet out and tearing the pump apart put it all back together and still did the same thing. The whole time thinking this should have a check valve keeping it from going out the tee to the city water inlet. Well that is exactly what it has right behind the inlet screen on the outside of the trailer. I had my wife plug the hole to see just how much pressure I got at the faucet and she stuck her finger in there after she pulled the screen out and it reseated the little check valve at the inlet. Bam! It worked. Thanks for all your help everyone. Hope this saves someone else a little leg work. I believe someone might have put the screen in backwards which kept the check valve from closing.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #14
Jason.rhodes86

Quote:
So thinking the whole time to my self after back flushing the tank to pump line. Blowing the line from the pump to the faucet out and tearing the pump apart put it all back together and still did the same thing. The whole time thinking this should have a check valve keeping it from going out the tee to the city water inlet. Well that is exactly what it has right behind the inlet screen on the outside of the trailer. I had my wife plug the hole to see just how much pressure I got at the faucet and she stuck her finger in there after she pulled the screen out and it reseated the little check valve at the inlet. Bam! It worked. Thanks for all your help everyone. Hope this saves someone else a little leg work. I believe someone might have put the screen in backwards which kept the check valve from closing.
So where exactly was this screen and valve? Not in the pump but somewhere by where the water goes into the trailer?
Old 07-04-2022, 06:04 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
So where exactly was this screen and valve? Not in the pump but somewhere by where the water goes into the trailer?
It's where the water hose screws into the trailer sidewall (or convenience center). There is a hose washer with a screen in it. Behind that screen is a one way valve that allows water into the trailer and, if you aren't connected to city water, prevents the pump from pushing water out of that connection. "One way in, stops water going out"....

Be careful "poking around in the connection". If you dislodge the inlet valve, you may not be able to get it reseated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	city water connection with screen.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	40560   Click image for larger version

Name:	city water connection without screen.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	40561   Click image for larger version

Name:	city water connection with check valve disassembled.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	40562  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #16
BillBachman

Yes. Right behind the threaded inlet that you hook your hose to where there is a screen to keep foreign objects from entering like on a washing machine hose.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:11 PM   #17
BillBachman

Yep! That’s the one!
Old 07-04-2022, 06:13 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yes. Right behind the threaded inlet that you hook your hose to where there is a screen to keep foreign objects from entering like on a washing machine hose.
That valve does not prevent backflow through the pump that can fill the fresh water tank, which is the OP's issue. The valve you discovered prevents "pump pressure from squirting out the side of the trailer when using the onboard water system".... They are two different valve systems, located in two different places (one in the city water inlet connection, the other in the water pump head) and they accomplish two different functions.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #19
Jason.rhodes86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That valve does not prevent backflow through the pump that can fill the fresh water tank, which is the OP's issue. The valve you discovered prevents "pump pressure from squirting out the side of the trailer when using the onboard water system".... They are two different valve systems, located in two different places (one in the city water inlet connection, the other in the water pump head) and they accomplish two different functions.....
Yeah my issue is with water going back thru the pump and into the tank, so probably not anything to do with a screen on the intake. Thank you though
Old 07-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah my issue is with water going back thru the pump and into the tank, so probably not anything to do with a screen on the intake. Thank you though
Your "backflow into the fresh water tank and the fixes for that issue" are explained in posts #8 and #10. It's the pump head and the internal backflow valve that's the problem. Until you get the pump head to stop leaking into the tank, your fresh water tank will continue to be "filled and spill onto the ground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water