Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #1
Bill Slayton

Smoked the electric panel

I plugged into a 220 power box that was wired wrong and smoked my power panel on my Cougar trailer. There was tons of smoke and was anticipating a fire when i pulled the wood panel next to the power box. I looked all around for a fire or even burned wires but found nothing. It didn't even blow fuses or breakers. After looking around, I decided to plug it into a 110 circuit and found that everything is currently working (lights, heat, micro, etc.) Not sure I'm out of the woods yet, but why so much smoke without frying something?
Bill Slayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

You most likely fried the converter. Is the battery charging?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #3
solv3nt

It sounds like the neutral took a hit on your panel, and likely fried anything that should have been bonded to ground.

2022 175BH

solv3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
travelin texans

Pick up an EMS & plug it in EVERY time!
You may have fried the EMS in this incident, but the rv wouldn't have had all the yet unknown damages that can possibly be much more than the cost of the EMS.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

To have smoke you had something burning to whatever degree so there will be damage, you just have to find it.

An EMS would be the first order of business today before I plugged in again. Wherever the smoke was coming from will be where your problem is. Sounds like it was at the power center so dig into that. Disconnect from shore power and pull the battery cable before juggling things around.

Between eyes and nose hopefully the damage will be apparent. The converter would be a good thing to check. If you can't see/smell anything with AC plugged in check the output; is it 13.6vdc +/-? If nothing it's done. Dig in a bit and see what you find.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:20 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you plugged into 220 VAC and smelled smoke, you may have some significant damage that's not yet been found.

If the refrigerator is a gas/electric type, the heating element, control panel may be toasted. If it's a compressor type, the entire compressor/control system may be damaged. If it's a 12 VDC compressor, it may be OK, but .....

If the water heater "electric switch" was on, the heating element and possibly the relays/control panel, temperature limit switch/thermostat for that function may be damaged.

The microwave clock/control panel may be damaged.

The fact that all the lights (12VDC) and the water pump work "right now" only means that the trailer battery wasn't affected by the 220 Volt incident.
If the 12 VDC system is working, that doesn't mean that the converter is recharging the battery. You probably will find that the lights work, until the battery discharges, then they won't....

As Danny suggested, start digging into the system. Start with the power disconnected and pull the power center. Find the converter, I think you'll find your first "obviously burned component". Keep looking, nearly everything that was turned on and/or has "standby power applies" is likely to be damaged.....

Depending on the amount you find, I'd consider an insurance claim. This could potentially be in the "thousands not hundreds" even if you do the work yourself.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:07 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Slayton View Post
I plugged into a 220 power box that was wired wrong and smoked my power panel on my Cougar trailer. There was tons of smoke and was anticipating a fire when i pulled the wood panel next to the power box. I looked all around for a fire or even burned wires but found nothing. It didn't even blow fuses or breakers. After looking around, I decided to plug it into a 110 circuit and found that everything is currently working (lights, heat, micro, etc.) Not sure I'm out of the woods yet, but why so much smoke without frying something?
Didn't have the time to go in depth on my initial response. "Tons of smoke" after an electrical event like this means one thing - overheated wires that melt wire insulation. You HAVE DAMAGE so no, you are not out of the woods even if everything is currently working.

If left unaddressed, the damages wire can cause a fire at a future date, perhaps while your sleeping. If you are not experienced in working with electrical wiring then seek out and hire a professional. You stated that thee "power box was wired wrong". Was this in a campground? If it was, then they need to make ir right and pay for the damages. If you took it upon yourself to plug a 30 amp RV plug into a 220vac dryer or welder outlet then it's between you and your insurance company. If this happened at home check your homeowners insurance as well as the policy on your trailer.

If you're lucky you only burned up the converter. That's the least expensive easiest fix. Easiest way to diagnose is to turn off all power to the camper, then remove the battery cables from the battery and place them so they don't anything. Then restore power and check the battery cables for voltage, should be over 13v dc. If it's ok that doesn’t rule out that it may not fail in the near future from damage inflicted by the incident.

Whatever you do DON'T IGNORE THIS, GET THE RIG CHECKED OUT.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:10 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Pick up an EMS & plug it in EVERY time!
You may have fried the EMS in this incident, but the rv wouldn't have had all the yet unknown damages that can possibly be much more than the cost of the EMS.
This was my very first thought after reading the original post. It doesn't matter where or for how long. Never plug into anything, anywhere, without first plugging in an EMS.

And everything else posted is absolutely correct also. Smoke and burned electrical smell means melted and burned wire insulation. It's a disaster waiting to happen. It may be impossible to find and fix as it can be anywhere. You might want to check with your insurance company. This is serious enough your entire trailer could be totaled now as every wire in the camper needs to be examined. That mean ripping everything out to expose the wires. It might not be fixable.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
Bill Slayton

Thanks for all the quick responses. I have not looked into the issue yet, but want to check out the insurance option prior the checking things out myself. I will check back when I know more. Thanks again.
Bill Slayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #10
rhagfo

If you decide to open things up yourself, your nose is the best first guide. With every thing powered off, batteries disconnected, and shore power unplugged. follow the stink! Likely your converter, but the nose Knows.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:03 PM   #11
CedarCreekWoody

This most commonly destroys any electrical appliances that are turned on. Almost always the converter and perhaps the fridge, microwave, TV, etc.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote