Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2022, 03:05 AM   #1
Weldon

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day gents. I always have a great plan to do a whole lot of nothing for dad's day. Relax and just take it easy. By 10am, that idea is usually shot.. Inevitably, something happens and it turns out to just be another day of fixing stuff or taking care of everyday life. Am I the only one this happens to?

What kind of stuff to you fellow dads do on Father's day? For non-dads, what about stuff your dad used to do?
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:15 AM   #2
Skillet173

Relaxing is a great concept for Fathers Day. I’ll inevitably be busy race prepping dirt bikes, prepping trailer for upcoming trip/race, mowing lawn, cleaning pool, washing truck, etc.. You know, a typical day off.
As long as kids help out a little and spend time with me I’m good!!

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:45 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Typically we celebrate the day before, the day after, or sometime near the day. I'm not one that seeks or demands attention on a particular day because it's on a calander. Our daughters have families and I prefer they spend the day with their families, I can wait. Our oldest daughter had us and her in-laws at her house yesterday to celebrate and our youngest daughter we'll see on Monday. Typically my DW will fix a "special" dinner to celebrate but she knows I don't expect it

This is just my personal feelings. I don't need a "day" to celebrate fatherhood as I've been celebrating it for 39 1/2 years (our oldest daughter's age) and feel recognized every time I see or talk with our daughters. Our girls never let a visit go without a hug or a phone call end without an "I love you dad". We've been blessed with our daughters and never take that for granted.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:06 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Father's day is just really another day for me. I'll be waxing on the rv today. When the kids were younger, and closer, they kind of made something of it but I'm not that way. Now that they are 54 and going on 49 they've got their own things going. I had them and got to be "Dad" for many years but now I'm "grandpa" and with the youngest grandgirl being 22 I don't expect any of them to do anything special for me since they're half way across the country and have other "interests". A phone call or text is good with me....and a clean towel for buffing the trailer. Now I DO make a big deal out of mother's day!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Father's day is just really another day for me. I'll be waxing on the rv today. When the kids were younger, and closer, they kind of made something of it but I'm not that way. Now that they are 54 and going on 49 they've got their own things going. I had them and got to be "Dad" for many years but now I'm "grandpa" and with the youngest grandgirl being 22 I don't expect any of them to do anything special for me since they're half way across the country and have other "interests". A phone call or text is good with me....and a clean towel for buffing the trailer. Now I DO make a big deal out of mother's day!!

Well now you are planning on celebrating that 55 yr anniversary right!? Yes, mother's day is a WHOLE 'nother story as they say.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #6
jsb5717

For us Father’s Day usually includes going to church where we see both of our dads, followed by a BBQ at our house with our kids and grandkids. Today, however, we are in the middle of a 6-week trip so today is a driving day to our next stop.

However you celebrate…HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
[/B]

Well now you are planning on celebrating that 55 yr anniversary right!? Yes, mother's day is a WHOLE 'nother story as they say.

55 years in a little over 2 mos. Probably just go somewhere non RV where we don't have to do anything but kick around and enjoy things for a few days. Neither of us are into big "celebrations" and like "quiet time". Since we got back from FL I've not seen anything but wind, brown dirt/blowing sand and 100+ temps. Think I'll head to a condo in the mountains with a deck over a little river - maybe Red River NM - might not wait until then.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:17 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like a plan!
Old 06-19-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
bsmith0404

I always find it comical that Mother’s Day is usually celebrated with a dinner out where mom is pampered and does nothing. Father’s Day is typically a bbq where dad does the cooking. So far my day has been changing the sand in the pool filter and cleaning the pool. Then cleaning the bbq and getting meat on marinade ready for grilling. Later on the kids and grandkids will show up and have a great time in the pool while I cook. Then they’ll give me gifts that I prefer they didn’t spend their money on, knowing in a week they’ll probably ask to borrow money that I won’t get back. It’s an interesting holiday that we dads do because we love it and are honored to be dads. To be honest, I’d rather sit in my recliner alone in a nice quiet house and watch old John Wayne movies.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I did what I always do, worked on a car or 2, and mowed the yard. We are going to the kids house for food and such this afternoon. My kids have texted/called so it’s all good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
dutchmensport

We returned home today after a 3 week, 3 campground gauntlet. The drive from the last State Park to home was only about 20 minutes. Got home, set the trailer back up, filled the water tank again, and fixed the dog ramp that the grand son broke. Meanwhile, my wife and son fixed beef cubes, potatoes, and peppers/onions on the wood-burner/charcoal-burner smoker. Got a couple Father's day gifts and such. Now, I just woke up from a nap in the camper. Wife watching television, grandson outside playing with the dogs, my son reading a book. It's now a lazy day! Sunny, clear skies, and 80 degrees outside. Got lots of little projects to catch up on, like mowing the grass and washing the camper now, but that will all start tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #12
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I always find it comical that Mother’s Day is usually celebrated with a dinner out where mom is pampered and does nothing. Father’s Day is typically a bbq where dad does the cooking. So far my day has been changing the sand in the pool filter and cleaning the pool. Then cleaning the bbq and getting meat on marinade ready for grilling. Later on the kids and grandkids will show up and have a great time in the pool while I cook. Then they’ll give me gifts that I prefer they didn’t spend their money on, knowing in a week they’ll probably ask to borrow money that I won’t get back. It’s an interesting holiday that we dads do because we love it and are honored to be dads. To be honest, I’d rather sit in my recliner alone in a nice quiet house and watch old John Wayne movies.
Agreed. I cooked breakfast, ran to home depot, and will grill dinner. Hoped to go hiking but that didn't happen. Came to neighborhood pool but there apparently every neighbor, their grandkids, etc had the same idea. Kids said we needed a new hose. I inspected and saw a tiny hole. So I blew their mind with a $5 and 5 min fix. They see my fixes all the time but they didn't realize a hose could be fixed. Trying to correct the current "throw it away" generation, or at least my 2 pieces of that generation.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #13
jasin1

changed a fuel pump on one of my inboard engines (recall on existing) this morning then me and my wife washed and waxed the fifth wheel..now i’m waiting patiently for steak on the grill and lobsters….my favorite meal i get at least once a year…mil makes me a ice cream, caramel cake so i will be stuffed in a little bit lol…my son texted me from the other side of the world and my daughter and her husband will have dinner with us …it’s a good day and i’m very very thankful for the people in my life
Old 06-20-2022, 06:40 AM   #14
jxnbbl

I love to just see my (grown) children and grandkids...that is the best gift to me. This year they put some exceptional thought into gifts (not expected). A game camera and a nice portable hammock. Now to just find the right trees!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote