Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #21
jamtracy

Most likely if you select a bunkhouse you will have an outdoor kitchen. I’ve had one with a large fridge with a stove, sink, bbq, and microwave. My avalanche has a large fridge, sink and TV.
If people feel they are a waste of space then rip everything out of it and use it for storage.

I love having the nice size fridge outside. It Holds lots of beverages that frees up the space from the inside fridge.
I have a single burner camp stove if I really want to cook something outside.

If your going to use it just keep it clean. Most camp kitchen stove tops have nice wind and grease deflectors.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #22
Cari&Dar

Love ours!

We have an outdoor kitchen and love it. We’ve never used our indoor stove and oven after 3 seasons and avg 45+ nights camping each season. We also carry a small Weber BBQ that we use a lot too. Wouldn’t buy a trailer without outdoor kitchen, it’s the feature we like most about our Premier. No issues with cleanup or critters. Noticed at the RV show this year that a lot of outdoor kitchens no longer have a sink - wouldn’t like that.
Cari&Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #23
Bandit12

Our current trailer does not have an outdoor kitchen built into the trailer. However, I do pack along a Blackstone Tailgater I can plug into the RV quick connect port and run it wherever I feel is the best location. I had a diamond plate cover made to put over the griddle half when not in use, this both protects the griddle from dirt and debris as well as gives me another workspace for spices and seasonings and a place to set my beer when using the grill box. Lining the grease traps with foil makes cleanup so much easier. I used to pack along a Yeti 75 Ice chest but now since it's only the DW and I leave the Yeti home and pack a RTIC 52. I like the RTIC because it came with a freezable pack that divides the cooler in half. Beer on one side and sodas on the other. And it's small enough I can handle it to load and unload it from the bed of the truck myself. We recently made a trip to Vegas for Easter. I loaded the RTIC with drinks and a 20 lb bag of ice on Wednesday afternoon. Weekend high temps in direct sun were 100 or so. By Monday morning when we packed up to come home, there was no ice left in the chest, but everything was still cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgater cover.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	39402  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

With our previous trailer we drug along a Coleman road trip grill, LP tank, tables, coolers, etc. With so many shoulder and neck surgeries it became a literal pain. The outdoor kitchen was one of the selling points for us on the unit we have.

With that said, there are "outdoor kitchens" and their are outdoor kitchens. Our unit has a 2 burner stove that pivots out from under the counter. The stove is plumbed into onboard LP and has a 3 sided wind screen that folds over burners when stored. On the left side is a a/c only fridge. Can't recall cu.in. size but it'll hold 2 cases of cans. The fridge is jot only handy for drinks but also condiments, meats, etc. for cooking.

In the counter is a bar sink with hot & cold water and it drains into black water tank. When I first found this out it angered me but I use it to my advantage. It's very nice to be able to run hot water into the black tank after dumping, then dunp and rinse. On the left side under the fridge is a pull out drawer large enough for a utensil insert.

4 large cabinets span above the countertop with plenty of space for pots, frying pans, paper plates, cups, etc. The kitchen is at the end of the trailer and the bumper mounted BBQ arm swings out to parallel the end wall. LP qr at the bumber for the grill. So when set up (literally 3 min.) everything for cooking outside is easily within reach. All of the above results in no more trapsing in and out of the camper to get stuff for a meal.

Now to comment on some of the "naysayer" comments. First, we camp in campgrounds primarily with full hook ups. We do not boondock, we don't set up on cliffs or on the side of steep drop offs. I'm considered tall and the DW on the short side. I have yet had to "bend over" nor has the DW needed a step stool to use the kitchen. Wind? If it's so windy that I'm concerned with the flame blowing out then I ain't gonna have a campfire or cook outside. Days THAT windy I don't see ANYONE else cooking outside either.

Grease? What, you don't clean your stuff inside? I just don't see the logic here. Anyway, if it's hot outside I have a little "box fan" that runs off of a couple of c cell batteries or a wall converter. I hang it on the gas strut for the door to blow across where standing to cook. Never had and grease or smoke residue on the door, the cabinets, or the side of the trailer.

As for the fridge on a/c only its not been an issue for us. Turn it on just like the indoor and pre cool the day before leaving. We don't drive over 5 hrs so it holds fine (just like a ice chest) unopened. I have 2 large re-freezable ice packs that I'll pre-freeze and stick in the freezer compartment if traveling when it's very hot out. I thought about installing an inverter for it but just couldn't justify it as it serves our purpose just fine.

The door leaking? Hasn't happened in the 10 years of ownership. Then again, we haven't had ANY leaks. It's another opening, like slides, entry doors, storage compartments, etc. It has gaskets and adjustments to keep the gaskets sealed against it. Monitor it, treat the gaskets and keep it snug, no issues. As for using it in the rain? Sure, in a light rain no problem. In a gale? Well I'll refer back to the wind. Anyone that wants to stand out in a pournding, blowing rain is welcome to but not me.

Long reply but this is what works for US. What works for YOU or or anyone else is great for everyone else. I can say I've had experience with both methods. For me the eas of set up with everything mounted to a level platform (the trailer) with LP hoses neatly running the short distance to the trailer beats what we used to do.

JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #25
CaptnJohn

Was disappointed to ............find the outdoor kitchen on our 2022 Montana! We have been on the road 4 months now in it and only used the fridge for extra soft drinks, what a waste of storage space! Don't need the 2 burner stove or sink!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:38 PM   #26
RVGator

The outdoor kitchen is one of my favorite things about my 5th wheel. Larger fridge, separate stereo, TV, but the best part is the sink.

Quick connect propane underneath that I run my camp chef off of. My last TT had a slide out 2 burner stove but I prefer to have my cooking separate.
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #27
kehoe

The best option!

We have had the outside kitchen for over a decade, and I wouldn’t be without it. No critter or bug issues. Use both the pullout propane cooktop and bar style fridge when hooked up and dry. I have a decent solar/4 batt inverter setup, so fridge runs 24/7 when using the 5th with a pretty small power draw.
The convenience of the fridge for all things (not just beer) without having to take off footware and go inside is great. Cooking wi propane when dry or a single induction element when plugged in on the outside kitchen counter is great and saves on smells and heat in the unit.
If you really use it, I can’t see a negative. The group we usually camp with loves it, and makes our site the obvious social spot…. Which can I admit put an ‘ease of access’ dent in the beverage inventory…
kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:41 AM   #28
CampNBrew2

FYI, Those that do have outdoor kitchens- whether you wanted one or not, please check your door frames.
On ours, (tall hatch door) the frame is secured with screws radially on the OUTSIDE of the door seal. The frame is not secured like most doors and windows, which in effect get sandwiched together from inside to outside with a seal. The half sized hatch doors may be a "normal" style sandwich frame.
I have read several posts about water intrusion at these screws. I Sikaflex'd over my screw heads and have had no issues.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:28 AM   #29
Sonders

Our outdoor kitchen isn't real big; it has the mini fridge, a slide out drawer with sink and 2 burner gas stove. We do not use the stove and I have been considering removing it for more countertop space for food prep. The lid to ours opens 180 degrees and latches open against the side wall and our awning covers it. We love having the fridge outside for the kids to easily grab drinks instead of tromping through the camper with dirty shoes. Love having the faucet as well for washing hands while cooking; we cook 100% outdoors over fire and Blackstone. We use the shelf over slide out drawer to store all the cooking utensils and plates/napkins. We wouldn't buy another TT without it. The small one is perfect for us, I wouldn't want one of the huge ones with all the built in countertops and cabinets and so on though.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #30
Miloski

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We love our outdoor kitchen! Stove, fridge and sink. It is placed under the rear bunks so we don’t lose any floor space. No grease on the side of the camper and NEVER had issues with bugs in the summer or critters while in storage. I hate cooking inside the camper; heat, humidity, cooking odors, etc.
Now, that a nice setup! That's useable and not a waste of space like mine.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:09 AM   #31
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Our current trailer does not have an outdoor kitchen built into the trailer. However, I do pack along a Blackstone Tailgater I can plug into the RV quick connect port and run it wherever I feel is the best location. I had a diamond plate cover made to put over the griddle half when not in use....
Love the griddle cover! I forgot the cover to ours and I had to wipe down the griddle every time I needed to use it.

We just came back from a long trip from Florida. With the new trailer we have an "outdoor kitchen". It really is just a dorm fridge and a slide out 2 burner cooktop. I actually like it when setup for 3+ days or with the grandkids. It complements our Blackstone Tailgater. We now can boil water easier and have a more complete kitchen. The doom fridge is lame *except* that is where we store water bottles, etc and the grandkids have free access...as I don't want them in the inside fridge.

The lame points - the storage self basically busted once I put something heavy on it in travel and have to rebuild. The cook top - the 'wind guards' are a pain as they don't stay in place. Will modify so that they can be opened and stay in place. Additionally you would think they would put a starter on those burners...nope have to use a propane lighter/matches to light the thing.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

jasin if you're still following this thread I purchased a new Camp Chef Pro 60x yesterday with a grill box and griddle. Figure I'll go get the pizza oven in a day or 2 as we like pizza.

If something like that interests you all I can tell you at this moment is that they are well made and look versatile. The covers and carrying bags will be here today and tomorrow. I did like the way they made the diffuser in the bottom of the grill box to prevent flare ups and grease from flowing down into the burners. I've used the other grills/griddles for a couple of years and seems like that's when I get something else. I wanted the outside burners so I could use a wok and stir fry. Jury is out on the smaller griddle as compared to the Blackstone (22"). Hoping to save a little space, or at least not use more, when leaving the Charbroil, Blackstone and tables. I need to have a BBQ equipment sale soon or build another barn.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:33 PM   #33
InkedMarie

We had an outdoor kitchen on our first camper; didn’t use it. We used our Blackstone Tailgater (half griddle, half grill). We went seasonal and have an outdoor kitchen with full size Blackstone griddle, grill, prep table & small fridge. I also use the crockpot in cooler weather, outside and I bought a Ninja foodie to bake in. We like desserts at camp and now I can bake at camp! Oh we also bought an Ooni pizza oven but haven’t tried it out yet.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #34
Miloski

Have you came up with a way to block the wind on the tailgater. Some days I lose the heat on the griddle do to the breeze.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:11 PM   #35
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloski View Post
Have you came up with a way to block the wind on the tailgater. Some days I lose the heat on the griddle do to the breeze.
Yes. I went to Dollar Tree and bought, I think, 5 board scrapers. They are also available on Amazon. I cut one down and put a slight angle on the one side to fit inside the grease catch tray. 2 and about 2/3 of one on the back, and 2 and the remaining 1/3 of one on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Board Scraper.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	39756  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:51 AM   #36
jxnbbl

Quote:

I just figured this out last month at Fort Wilderness in Disney. The way the wind was "tunneled" towards the griddle with positioning...the food was slow cooking. This happened 2x when tailgating and I don't have forever to cook food as there is a game deadline. I thought it was the propane tank that I had brought.

Anyways it is on my list to solve with some portable method for 3 directional shielding. I can shift the grill/griddle for the 'exposed side'.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:52 AM   #37
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Yes. I went to Dollar Tree and bought, I think, 5 board scrapers. They are also available on Amazon. I cut one down and put a slight angle on the one side to fit inside the grease catch tray. 2 and about 2/3 of one on the back, and 2 and the remaining 1/3 of one on the side.

I don't understand how this fits on the "back". So this is only on the pan side?
Old 07-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #38
wifi_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Researching toy haulers and larger fifth wheels and I’m trying to decide if outdoor kitchens are worth it or not….couple of the issues I see are …getting grease on the side of the rv when cooking..attracting bugs and rodents while in storage if it isn’t completely spotless and clean

The plus would be that it keeps the rv from heating up and getting odors from cooking esp ifyou don’t have a thru wall exhaust.

Those that have an outdoor kitchen ….any problems? Is it worth having?
Our Rockwood (forget the model) had an outdoor kitchen. Had a sink cooktop and a mini fridge, we LOVED IT. Our Fuzion 417 did not. Our Fuzion 428 does. It has a cooktop mini fridge and a TV. WE love it. While I do wish it had a sink, we use the heck out of it.

I didn't think I'd use the TV much, but having a local news station playing while making breakfast or dinner is kind of nice.
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:04 AM   #39
jxnbbl

Quote:
I remembered this post and wanted to followup on it. It is on my todo list to come up with a better wind solution for my Blackstone Tailgater. Today I searched for better ideas and came up with this video that I will implement. It might be a while until I know the results of the effort but it looks like it is a good solution -
Old 07-29-2022, 05:54 AM   #40
wifi_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I remembered this post and wanted to followup on it. It is on my todo list to come up with a better wind solution for my Blackstone Tailgater. Today I searched for better ideas and came up with this video that I will implement. It might be a while until I know the results of the effort but it looks like it is a good solution -
I don't know about anyone else, but I was more impressed with that pancake device he had. LOL

We have a mini cooktop that pulls out from our outdoor kitchen, if it's windy that thing is basically not usable. Wind doesn't get under it, it comes in from the sides.
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote