Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
RK1978

PNW trip

We are planning a trip to see our great granddaughter and her family in Everett WA, then spending some time around Portland OR where we have family. Our route is I74/I39/I94/I29 to US 2, then across the top of the US to the coast. In my research I am running into a new issue-places that only want newer equipment in their parks (10 yr old or less) What's up with this? We have camped in almost all of the US west of the Appalachian mountains except for the western column of states and this is a first.
Anyway, suggestions and info about campgrounds particularly around Portland would be very welcome, as well as any comments about the route. We are familiar with US 2 east of Glacier but not west and haven't had the trailer in Oregon or Washington yet.
Thanks for any info.
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #2
Essvar

In Portland you only need a blue tarp less than 3 years old to camp.

That was a joke, but seriously most places out here have an age restriction on campers strictly to keep the unwanted transients out. If your rig is road worthy and in good shape I wouldnt worry one bit about any sites rejecting your reservation.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
peanut

I live in the Portland metro area but I am not aware of any sites that have age restrictions. (I would be interested in knowing which ones you have run across.) In our local trips (2-3 hour drives) we stay exclusively in Oregon State Park campgrounds, so maybe that is the difference.

There are a lot of private parks in and around Portland. A nice one about 30 miles north is Bayport RV Park in Warren, OR. It is situated right next to Scappoose Bay Marina. It is north of Portland on Hwy 30 and is less than an hour drive into the central city.
https://www.portofcolumbiacounty.org...ark-campground

The closes state park is probably Ainsworth State Park. It is about 35 east of Portland on Interstate 84. Also an easy drive into town, especially if you need the south or east sides.

P.S. - - Essvar is right, though. Portland proper has become a cesspool of bum camps and old, crappy rv's parked anywhere and everywhere. Don't know why the city puts up with it.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #4
jsb5717

Several private parks have that kind of language on their websites. However, as stated, if you call them and they understand that your trailer isn’t an old beater, most will accept your reservation.

However, Oregon has beautiful state parks and county parks. You might check out some of those. Weekends will be tough in state parks heading into Spring and Summer but still worth checking. Barton Park is one of our favorite local get away places. It’s a Clackamas County park.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:27 PM   #5
Cbrez

Friends of ours ran into that in a park in Sarasota FL. It is mostly a formality by the park board of directors. If your rig is clean and well kept it won’t be questioned. The folks in the Sarasota park office don’t even look out the window when you pull in. Irony is that many owners have decades old junk on their lots. I might fudge the age of my RV when making a reservation assuming it’s been well kept.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #6
rhagfo

If looking in greater Portland area, try LL Stub Stewart SP. It is about 30 miles west of Portland. Large sites all full hookup and 50 amp.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote