Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
lestahhh

Freezing temperatures this weekend! Help!

Hi everyone. I'd like to ask for your opinions on my situation. The weather this weekend is gonna drop to high 20s at night so I'm worried about plumbing bursting. We're living in it and we are only hooked up to city water and electricity. Sewage gets pumped on Fridays. So at least those tanks should be very low for the weekend considering today is pump day. I'm still new to RV so I have no clue if my underbelly is heated or not. I have a 2020 Springdale 295BH. What should I do? The freezing temps will only be at nighttime, once the sun comes up they'll go up to 40s and 50s. For inside comfort, I will have the furnace set at like 75 and use our electric fireplace as well. Thank you.
lestahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestahhh View Post
Hi everyone. I'd like to ask for your opinions on my situation. The weather this weekend is gonna drop to high 20s at night so I'm worried about plumbing bursting. We're living in it and we are only hooked up to city water and electricity. Sewage gets pumped on Fridays. So at least those tanks should be very low for the weekend considering today is pump day. I'm still new to RV so I have no clue if my underbelly is heated or not. I have a 2020 Springdale 295BH. What should I do? The freezing temps will only be at nighttime, once the sun comes up they'll go up to 40s and 50s. For inside comfort, I will have the furnace set at like 75 and use our electric fireplace as well. Thank you.
Have a look at this thread.... you folks in Florida are getting a taste of global warming!
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...073#post484073
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Where are you at? St. Pete doesn't show any below freezing weather I can find.

My rule of thumb is I don't worry about it if the temps drop throughout the night and hit a low of say 26 or so then warm back up. Now if they land in the 20s and stay there then I'll start doing some "weather proofing". Keep the furnace on; I keep mine at 70 overnight. If you're in FL I haven't seen any weather forecasted that would warrant trying to winterize a trailer for 5 or 6 hours below freezing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
lestahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Where are you at? St. Pete doesn't show any below freezing weather I can find.

My rule of thumb is I don't worry about it if the temps drop throughout the night and hit a low of say 26 or so then warm back up. Now if they land in the 20s and stay there then I'll start doing some "weather proofing". Keep the furnace on; I keep mine at 70 overnight. If you're in FL I haven't seen any weather forecasted that would warrant trying to winterize a trailer for 5 or 6 hours below freezing.
I'm in Jacksonville this weekend!
Old 01-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I'm seeing a low of 27 early Sunday morning in Jacksonville. Hits freezing at 2am (slow drop from warmer temps), low of 27 about 6am and back to freezing (32) at 8am then rising (courtesy of weather.gov).

What I looked at says you have a heated and enclosed underbelly. To be sure if it is enclosed just look at the bottom of your trailer; do you see pipes, wires etc. or is there a solid piece of plastic looking material? If the plastic is there it is enclosed.

At those temps and the short duration you should be fine just running your furnace. Since you've not done it before you could turn off the water at the spigot and disconnect the hose if you wanted to; I wouldn't. If you're uncomfortable with that you can drain your water lines and open the faucets inside as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #6
lestahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm seeing a low of 27 early Sunday morning in Jacksonville. Hits freezing at 2am (slow drop from warmer temps), low of 27 about 6am and back to freezing (32) at 8am then rising (courtesy of weather.gov).

What I looked at says you have a heated and enclosed underbelly. To be sure if it is enclosed just look at the bottom of your trailer; do you see pipes, wires etc. or is there a solid piece of plastic looking material? If the plastic is there it is enclosed.

At those temps and the short duration you should be fine just running your furnace. Since you've not done it before you could turn off the water at the spigot and disconnect the hose if you wanted to; I wouldn't. If you're uncomfortable with that you can drain your water lines and open the faucets inside as well.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I've been reading around on the forum and I've come to the same conclusion. It's too short of period. I will check my underbelly though to confirm as you said. I will leave one of the faucets dripping overnight tomorrow night just in case.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:49 AM   #7
notanlines

No, don’t run any water like at home. If it gets cold enough it will freeze up your sewer hose and you will experience a terrible consequence! AND it will take a long time to thaw the drain hose.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:30 PM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestahhh View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback. I've been reading around on the forum and I've come to the same conclusion. It's too short of period. I will check my underbelly though to confirm as you said. I will leave one of the faucets dripping overnight tomorrow night just in case.
No colder than that and I'd just fill or 1/2 fill my freshwater tank so I could wash up and flush if needed... then disconnect the water hose from the trailer.

If you have a dial gage on your pressure regulator it's a good idea to bring it inside so it doesn't freeze..

Run the heater on about 68-70 and enjoy the fireplace...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:30 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Jim ...

DO NOT LEAVE A FAUCET DRIPPING IN A TRAVEL TRAILER. If you do, even if the gray/black tanks are left open, should the valve area or the sewer hose freeze, then you'll flood your trailer and really, REALLY have a mess !!!!!!

At the temperatures you're going to experience, leave the furnace on low, disconnect the city water hose, turn OFF the water pump and go to sleep. The trailer will be fine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:01 PM   #10
lestahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with Jim ...

DO NOT LEAVE A FAUCET DRIPPING IN A TRAVEL TRAILER. If you do, even if the gray/black tanks are left open, should the valve area or the sewer hose freeze, then you'll flood your trailer and really, REALLY have a mess !!!!!!

At the temperatures you're going to experience, leave the furnace on low, disconnect the city water hose, turn OFF the water pump and go to sleep. The trailer will be fine.
Ok, duly noted!!! Thanks for that!