Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
RickV

Carrying Tote in Truck

I was given a Barker 42 gallon tote by a friend who quit RVing. I have had it a few years. The only time it was used was here at the house when someone would stay in the 5er and I need to dump the tanks in to the septic tank. I never took it with us but I am already working on next years travels and a few places I am looking at staying at for more than a few days have water and power but no sewer but do have a dump station. So I figure I'll take the tote with me. I see some people attach em to their ladders but, my ladder is right at edge of the rear corner so I can't do that. So I am thinking about putting it in back of my truck between the hitch and the tailgate. My question is will the umbilical cords get hung up on the tote the tote will be strapped down to keep it from moving. Another option which would be a PITA is to put it in the very front of the truck bed but, I would have to remove the bed cover every time I needed to get it out plus it weighs about 50lbs and I also keep a second spare tire there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tote.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	37571  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
Javi

I strap mine down in the back of the bed... just push it to the side away from the plug and tie it down good..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I strap mine down in the back of the bed... just push it to the side away from the plug and tie it down good..
Thanks, that's my plan.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Mine goes in the front. It's a 32 gallon, so a tad smaller. And FYI, we use our all the time, as almost every State Park we visit does not have sewer on site. We've been hauling this thing around for 20 years, and it has well over a thousand miles on those wheels, from campsite to dump station.

It's the blue tank in bed of the truck, in the front.

Because my generators ride nearest the tail gage. I have 2 of these:

The black box in the bed of the truck holds my sewer hoses. Because, sometimes, we get luck and have full hook-ups, if we visit private campgrounds, like these:

But, most of the time, not so lucky:

Old 12-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Mine goes in the front. It's a 32 gallon, so a tad smaller. And FYI, we use our all the time, as almost every State Park we visit does not have sewer on site. We've been hauling this thing around for 20 years, and it has well over a thousand miles on those wheels, from campsite to dump station.

It's the blue tank in bed of the truck, in the front.

Because my generators ride nearest the tail gage. I have 2 of these:

The black box in the bed of the truck holds my sewer hoses. Because, sometimes, we get luck and have full hook-ups, if we visit private campgrounds, like these:

But, most of the time, not so lucky:

I want to try and avoid having to get it out the front of the bed. It looks like you carry everything but the kitchen sink I am curious what is (I assume) the 8x8 Post for?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Thanks, that's my plan.
I've had mine for about ten years, it's a 37 gallon Thetford I think..

I don't have a cover on my bed and it will fit between the fuel tank and the hitch if I turn it on its side but I only do that if I'm hauling a load of firewood too..

We only go to about three parks that I even need it so it normally stays in the garage at the house.. Caprock Canyon SP, Copper Breaks SP, and Goose Island SP... Those parks are nice enough that I don't mind the extra fuss of hauling the tank...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #7
dutchmensport

Quote:
.... I am curious what is (I assume) the 8x8 Post for?
Well sir, that is my trailer tire jack. Since those photos were taken, the block of lumber got re-located to a better spot.

Because, one just never knows when it might be needed:

Old 12-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
michael_h

I bought the Camco brackets and carry my Thetford sideways
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thedumptank.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	37672  
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:44 AM   #9
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
I can't do that for the same reason that I can't attach it to the ladder.

BTW still waiting on Keystone to approve repair for the delamination. I can't believe they are questioning it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210814_38563.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	37674  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-31-2021, 09:13 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
With the spare & now your poop wagon on the bumper watch the welds attaching the bumper closely, those items constantly bouncing/shaking back there can/do breaker those welds. Typically that flimsy lightweight metal bumper was designed to hold the weight of your stinky slinky & very little more.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a few "bumper failures" to "create a pucker".....

Sad part of the failure, for most people, is that it doesn't happen in the campground or at home, rather the bumper fails at 70MPH, on a busy interstate, in rush hour traffic, and you "find the bikes missing" at the next rest area, sometimes 50 or 60 miles from "the crash scene"....

Trust me when I say, it's a "sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach" when you realize that you simply don't know if you've caused an a accident, possibly even killed somone, whether there's an "all points bulletin" looking for a trailer with a missing bumper or if the next police vehicle you pass is going to stop you, even arrest you because of that "missing bumper".....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bumper crack.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	37675   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	37676   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure 3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	37677   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure 4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	37678  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #12
jasin1

You don’t have to carry it in the truck or on the bumper…mine has a handle that slips over a trailer ball….just tow it behind the trailer ..not sure if they would consider it triple towing or not
Old 12-31-2021, 11:45 AM   #13
notanlines

Jasin, the visual of the mess at 60mph when the wheels grind off is unbearable! (Insert &#128512
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
jasin1

Yeah it wouldn’t be pretty
Old 01-01-2022, 04:38 AM   #15
RickV

My 3790FK doesn't have a extended bumper, there is a receiver hitch rated to 300lbs so I guess I could buy one of those receiver baskets and carry it back there.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 01-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
My 3790FK doesn't have a extended bumper, there is a receiver hitch rated to 300lbs so I guess I could buy one of those receiver baskets and carry it back there.
Receiver hitches aren't all "built for static loads "(cargo placed in a cargo basket) without additional support.

Lippert recently bought CURT Hitch Company. Lippert builds almost all of the Keystone RV frames, so I'd suspect that if Lippert is installing a receiver hitch on their frames, they are probably installing their own product (CURT Hitch receivers)....

CURT Hitch builds several different "RV frame receiver hitch assemblies", some are designed to support a static load, some are designed to support a "tongue load" and some are designed to support both/either types of loads.

This is a quoted warning from the installation sheet for one type of CURT Hitch RV receiver:

"GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH: 3500LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 350 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT.
WARNING: ALL NON-TRAILER (WHEEL-LESS) LOADS APPLIED TO THIS PRODUCT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY 18050 STABILIZING STRAPS.
WARNING: ** FAILURE TO PROPERLY SUPPORT NON-TRAILER LOADS WILL VOID PRODUCT WARRANTY **
WARNING: *** DO NOT EXCEED VEHICLE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED TOWING CAPACITY ***"

The point I'm making is that just because your trailer has a "factory installed receiver" doesn't mean that it will support a "cargo basket" without additonal support. Some receivers do, some receivers don't.... Before you "make the assumption that yours has a receiver so you're OK" I'd do some research to verify just what Lippert and/or Keystone installed on your trailer frame and whether there is any "hidden requirement from the receiver manufacturer" that you need to add support straps to the trailer if you install a basket.

You may be "good to go just like you are configured" on the other hand, depending on what is installed on your specific frame, you may have "half of what you need"....

Knowing the RV industry, I've seen time and time again when they "add a feature" by installing a part of a system without telling buyers what else they need... Examples of that include the Furrion rear camera mount, the "Solar Ready" trailers of a couple years ago and the current "Inverter ready outlets" in trailers.... Some have all the components and just need an inverter, others have a wire that you can "cut inside this box" and add battery wiring, inverter and transfer switch to get the system to work.... So, just because you have "a receiver" doesn't mean it's ready for all types of cargo use/trailer towing use.....

Check it out before you make assumptions.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #17
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Receiver hitches aren't all "built for static loads "(cargo placed in a cargo basket) without additional support.

Lippert recently bought CURT Hitch Company. Lippert builds almost all of the Keystone RV frames, so I'd suspect that if Lippert is installing a receiver hitch on their frames, they are probably installing their own product (CURT Hitch receivers)....

CURT Hitch builds several different "RV frame receiver hitch assemblies", some are designed to support a static load, some are designed to support a "tongue load" and some are designed to support both/either types of loads.

This is a quoted warning from the installation sheet for one type of CURT Hitch RV receiver:

"GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH: 3500LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 350 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT.
WARNING: ALL NON-TRAILER (WHEEL-LESS) LOADS APPLIED TO THIS PRODUCT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY 18050 STABILIZING STRAPS.
WARNING: ** FAILURE TO PROPERLY SUPPORT NON-TRAILER LOADS WILL VOID PRODUCT WARRANTY **
WARNING: *** DO NOT EXCEED VEHICLE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED TOWING CAPACITY ***"

The point I'm making is that just because your trailer has a "factory installed receiver" doesn't mean that it will support a "cargo basket" without additonal support. Some receivers do, some receivers don't.... Before you "make the assumption that yours has a receiver so you're OK" I'd do some research to verify just what Lippert and/or Keystone installed on your trailer frame and whether there is any "hidden requirement from the receiver manufacturer" that you need to add support straps to the trailer if you install a basket.

You may be "good to go just like you are configured" on the other hand, depending on what is installed on your specific frame, you may have "half of what you need"....

Knowing the RV industry, I've seen time and time again when they "add a feature" by installing a part of a system without telling buyers what else they need... Examples of that include the Furrion rear camera mount, the "Solar Ready" trailers of a couple years ago and the current "Inverter ready outlets" in trailers.... Some have all the components and just need an inverter, others have a wire that you can "cut inside this box" and add battery wiring, inverter and transfer switch to get the system to work.... So, just because you have "a receiver" doesn't mean it's ready for all types of cargo use/trailer towing use.....

Check it out before you make assumptions.....
All good points.

This is from Keystones website for my model "2” Accessory Hitch w/ 300 lb. Capacity". I will check with Keystone to verify though. I am not sure if I want to put it back there anyway though it may get in the way of opening the rear storage compartment door. I will probably just carry it in the truck bed.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 01-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
All good points.

This is from Keystones website for my model "2” Accessory Hitch w/ 300 lb. Capacity". I will check with Keystone to verify though. I am not sure if I want to put it back there anyway though it may get in the way of opening the rear storage compartment door. I will probably just carry it in the truck bed.
You may have an "accessory hitch w/300 pound capacity", but Keystone might have "just happened to forget to mention the requirement for stabilizer straps" to keep the receiver from twisting off the frame rails.... I'm not suggesting that YOUR receiver is a CURT 13703, but if it is, then the warning I posted applies to your receiver. If it's some other CURT hitch (or possibly something Lippert manufactured that's substandard to/better than the CURT hitch) then different factors may apply.

Unfortunately, Keystone "just buys the Lippert frame and it's on Lippert if it fails, so they don't go overboard with information to the RV owner. After all, when the 1 year is up, it's not Keystone's problem to even "run interference" for you....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS