Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
Jmayse

Kitchen table slide floor water

For some reason the floor along one of the walls is constantly damp. I try to dry it out and it returns. Not leaking from outside just seems to stay damp. Running up wall and bubbling wall paper. Floor is still good. Thinking that the wall paper is collecting dampness. Thinking I may have to strip and dry that out.

Anyone having same issue and what was the fix?

2018 Avalanche.
Jmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
rhagfo

Water doesn’t travel up hill, the leak would be from the top.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:14 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

How far up the wall is it wet and which wall ? Interior, exterior, slide wall? Is it under a window? Is it wet if it hasn't rained for a long time? More details are needed for it could be a roof leak, a window leak, a water line leak, the water heater leaking????

The fix? Obviously you have tobidentify the source first. Dry out the carpet and wall with a fan and dehumidifier then access the damage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:11 AM   #4
Jmayse

Water issue on Kitchen slide

I have attached photos. From the red line down is where the dampness seems to be. And I marked around the floor area as well.

When I look on the outside, everything seems to be water-tight. I am in Florida where the humidity is high but I have a dehumidifier and this seems to be the only area.

Look forward to your response.

2018 Avalanche

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen slide 1_LI (2).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	35221   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen slide 2_LI.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	35222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen slide 3_LI.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	35223  
Old 08-12-2021, 04:12 AM   #5
Jmayse

Doesn't appear top-down.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:21 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I would look at that exterior corner seam real close to start. Look closely all the way to the top where it joins the slide out roof. Them look closely at the window. The window can leak and and the water accumulate lower where it pools making it look like it's not coming from above.
I'm sure someone with a similar leak or someone like Chuckster that works on them all the time will chime in soon.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:28 AM   #7
rhagfo

I would check out the seal on that window right above the wet spot.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:52 AM   #8
Jmayse

Window and Sealing

Can and should I caulk around the window? In the gaps that I am pointing with a red arrow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window 1_LI.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	35224  
Old 08-12-2021, 05:55 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayse View Post
Can and should I caulk around the window? In the gaps that I am pointing with a red arrow?
Yes you should seal the top and sides of the window on the outside. You can use silicone, we are using a product called Sika seal and it is easy to apply.

I’m thinking the window is the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

If that pic is above the wet area then I think you found the leak.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayse View Post
You "can" caulk around the window..... BUT !!!!!

I strongly urge you to remove the window and properly reinstall it. It's easy to remove, just make sure someone is outside to prevent it from falling onto the ground. Go inside, you'll see about 30 screws holding the inside "clamp ring" to the outside half of the window. Unscrew all of those screws (save the two top corner screws for last), then remove the interior clamp ring. Push GENTLY on the outside frame to push the window away from the trailer sidewall. MAKE SURE SOMEONE IS HOLDING IT TO PREVENT THE WINDOW FROM FALLING OUT !!!!

Once you have the window out of the trailer, take it to a work area, clean all the old sealant off the frame flange (I'm sure you'll readily identify where the water was leaking into the trailer by where the stains are in the old caulking). Clean the trailer sidewall as well. Then apply a run of BUTYL putty tape around the perimeter of the window flange. Start at the bottom center of the window so there are no "gaps in putty tape" above the window bottom.

Take the window with new BUTYL putty tape out to the trailer, have someone hold it in position while you go inside, position the window clamp ring and start the 4 corner screws. Continue installing screws "loosely" around the perimeter, then, like with lug nuts on wheels, tighten the screws in an alternating pattern around the clamp ring, pulling it tight EVENLY around the window frame. You will need to monitor the position of the exterior window to make sure it remains centered in the cutout, but it usually doesn't change position after the corner screws are secure.

Once the window is reinstalled, go outside, verify that there is an "exuded bead of BUTYL putty tape" around the entire perimeter of the window. Wait a couple of days before you trim the excess away as it will continue to exude from the pressure of the window against the trailer sidewall.

IMO, you can "put a bandaid over the leak" by using a liquid sealer like silicone or another type that comes in a tube, but you aren't "fixing the leak" you're just covering it up. If that sealant bead fails, or if it doesn't stick properly, you're still faced with the leak PLUS having to clean the sealant off the trailer sidewall and window...

I recommend that if you have time to risk having to fix it a second time, you have time to do it right the first time.... To me, that's one of the biggest "pitfalls" of dealer service departments. They are "pushed to complete the job from many people from service managers to customers who want their trailer back" so sometimes, they develop a "make do that usually works well" and takes a lot less time to complete. That's not always the "best or proper way" to fix things.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #12
Jmayse

Thank you for that. Very detailed. I will start to plan for that project.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

If you take the window out, use this seal, it’s about the best IMO

https://approducts.net/product/ribbe...-8-x-3-8-x-50/

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, slide, water