Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
motu59

Talking City Water Connection does not flow

recently while camping our water flow from the City water connection stopped, nothing in the kitchen nor bathroom.

I replaced the pump, same issue.
I replaced the unit that connects to the hose, same issue.

So what happens. When I first connect the hose, it seems to fill all the lines and the water flows to the faucettes, but within the first minute, the water flow seems to slow and then come to a complete stop.

If there is water in the Fresh water tank, and I turn on the pump, the water flows fine. No issues.

Anyone experience such a thing. Any ideas to figure out what this issue might be. Thanks
motu59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu59 View Post
recently while camping our water flow from the City water connection stopped, nothing in the kitchen nor bathroom.

So what happens. When I first connect the hose, it seems to fill all the lines and the water flows to the faucettes, but within the first minute, the water flow seems to slow and then come to a complete stop.

If there is water in the Fresh water tank, and I turn on the pump, the water flows fine. No issues.

Anyone experience such a thing. Any ideas to figure out what this issue might be. Thanks
motu59, Welcome. First take a sec and go to the UserCP at the top of each page in the black band on the left and create and save a signature with year, make and model of your camper and the same for your tow vehicle. Answers to your questions will have a better chance of being contextual. Next, why replace your water pump if you are connected to city water? It should not be on when connected to city water. Third, have you cleaned out your aerators that are located on the water tap ends? They unscrew and often crud can get in if you don't filter your incoming water or there may be crud in the pex that accumulates. Anyhow, good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu59 View Post

Welcome to the forum. I'm confused, you said you replaced the pump and same issue. Then you said if you turn on the pump water flows fine. Which is it?

What "unit that connects to the hose" are you talking about? Do you have a convenience center that the city water hose connects to? Did you bleed all the air out of the water heater and water lines? That can take sevrral minutes with ALL of the faucets open. Sorry but no information means no clue to help you out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I "THINK" what you're saying is that when connected to city water, with the onboard pump turned off, you do not have water flowing at any sink or shower, but when you disconnect city water and turn on the onboard pump, water flows normally ????

If that is what's happening, disconnect the city water at the trailer and peek inside the hose connection. You'll probably find a screen/rubber washer gadget located in there. Use something like a toothpick or a small nail and pull that strainer/rubber washer out of the hose connection. You'll find a plastic plunger located in that connection. This is your one way valve. It may be stuck in the closed position and blocking city water from flowing into the trailer. Push GENTLY on the plunger and see if it moves. BE CAREFUL, PUSHING TOO HARD CAN DAMAGE THE VALVE OR DISLODGE THE O-RINGS CAUSING THE VALVE TO MALFUNCTION AND REQUIRE REPLACEMENT !!!!!

Once you have that valve moving freely, clean and replace the screen/rubber washer and see if city water flows normally.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #5
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I "THINK" what you're saying is that when connected to city water, with the onboard pump turned off, you do not have water flowing at any sink or shower, but when you disconnect city water and turn on the onboard pump, water flows normally ????

If that is what's happening, disconnect the city water at the trailer and peek inside the hose connection. You'll probably find a screen/rubber washer gadget located in there. Use something like a toothpick or a small nail and pull that strainer/rubber washer out of the hose connection. You'll find a plastic plunger located in that connection. This is your one way valve. It may be stuck in the closed position and blocking city water from flowing into the trailer. Push GENTLY on the plunger and see if it moves. BE CAREFUL, PUSHING TOO HARD CAN DAMAGE THE VALVE OR DISLODGE THE O-RINGS CAUSING THE VALVE TO MALFUNCTION AND REQUIRE REPLACEMENT !!!!!

Once you have that valve moving freely, clean and replace the screen/rubber washer and see if city water flows normally.....

So there is a one way valve at the city water inlets on all trailers? Or most? I had no idea this even existed but this is good information to retain incase of issue further down the road.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
So there is a one way valve at the city water inlets on all trailers? Or most? I had no idea this even existed but this is good information to retain incase of issue further down the road.
The one way valve is an integral part of the city water connection on all trailers that I've seen. If you think about it, if there wasn't a valve, when you don't have a hose connected that closes the hose connector, when you turn on the water pump, water would "flow out the city water connection" until the fresh water tank is empty, then it will "just blow air until the battery dies or the pump burns up"....

That one way valve is "required for normal operation" and is either a part of the city water connection panel (on most Keystone products) or is directly behind it and installed in the PEX line.

This diagram should depict where it's installed and why it's required to be there.

ADDED: I always carry a "garden hose cap" (that screws onto the end of a garden hose). If the one way valve malfunctions or starts leaking, which they occasionally do, I can put the cap on the city water connection and prevent the water in the fresh water tank from being pumped out of the trailer. You can do the same with a "Y" connector that has two ball valves in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	city water diagram.gif
Views:	82
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	35082  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water