Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #21
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Top pic looks like a better shot of the wire; is that 8 ga. and does it go to the frame? And, does anything work now?
After I eat lunch and do a couple Honey-do chores I'll crawl under there and see where the white cable goes and then hook it back up. I'll post the results then, probably around 4-5pm PST.

EDIT: I got delayed doing the "Honey-Do's" so I'm now going out to work on the trailer now. Will post results later.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #22
LHaven

From the latest photo (which is in time the earliest photo), I see that nothing is hooked up to the + bus except the green and orange wires, which are too thin to run a trailer, and probably run the brakes and the tongue jack. You still have a thick black or red wire missing from this arrangement, and it should go to post #3.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:32 AM   #23
jack65

Quote:
Top pic looks like a better shot of the wire; is that 8 ga. and does it go to the frame? And, does anything work now?
Yep, the white cable goes to the frame. You'll see it in the lower left corner (red star) but what is the other white cable that goes from the frame to the box at the upper left corner (blue stars)?

Everything works now. Onto my next question... where should I post my new question?

Since I only used the trailer once dry camping last year, all I used was the battery & propane stuff like lights. Didn't use any plumbing, toilet or refrigerator. I didn't want added weight as we were way up in a remote lake with no hookups or running water available.

So how do I use the refrigerator properly. The manual is not real clear on this. Then I have a question on my towing setup. I'm going back up to my favorite remote lake again starting this weekend for a week.
https://moskovita-photography.com/Mt...hLake-2017.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
go to the positive terminal on the left battery.

I'd love to see the "before" battery photo you took when you were getting dim lights, because the lashup in this photo can't possibly give you lights at all.
Sorry, I didn't answer your question yet.

I figured out what happened... I had disconnected the left side battery to take it out and went "Whoops! I didn't take a picture so I know how it goes back in" Apparently I hooked the white wire back up then on wrong post. So the lights worked dimly before I did that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	175057-web.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1,004.8 KB
ID:	35094  
Old 08-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #24
jack65

More battery questions

I have a couple more questions.
I noticed something is draining the battery slowly overnight down to 90% and charges very slowly when hooked up. What is using the battery when I'm not using the trailer?

Which brings up another question. Since something is draining the battery, is it okay to disconnect the battery while going up to the mountain lakes or is the battery being used for something needed while traveling?
Old 08-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #25
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
I noticed something is draining the battery slowly overnight down to 90% and charges very slowly when hooked up. What is using the battery when I'm not using the trailer?

Which brings up another question. Since something is draining the battery, is it okay to disconnect the battery while going up to the mountain lakes or is the battery being used for something needed while traveling?
Your co detector and radio memory and iN·command if you have it all pull from the battery even when not being used. When hooked up to your truck your alternator should offset that while driving…if you leave it stored and you don’t want any parasitic draw,you need to disconnect the battery or get a small solar charger. Solar chargers only work when the sun is out or not covered with snow or other obstructions
Doesn’t look like you have iN·Command
Old 08-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #26
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Your co detector and radio memory and iN·command if you have it all pull from the battery even when not being used. When hooked up to your truck your alternator should offset that while driving…if you leave it stored and you don’t want any parasitic draw,you need to disconnect the battery or get a small solar charger. Solar chargers only work when the sun is out or not covered with snow or other obstructions
Doesn’t look like you have iN·Command
Oh... Ok, I it's sunny this week here and where I'm going and I have an unopened Coleman 6 watt Solar 12-volt battery trickle charger. Will that work?
I was intending to use it for my two raft's electric motor batteries to charge in the afternoon when not fishing. I could use it for the trailers batteries when we're not using the trailer during the day.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Oh... Ok, I it's sunny this week here and where I'm going and I have an unopened Coleman 6 watt Solar 12-volt battery trickle charger. Will that work?
I was intending to use it for my two raft's electric motor batteries to charge in the afternoon when not fishing. I could use it for the trailers batteries when we're not using the trailer during the day.
You don’t have shore power electric at the site? If not a 6 watt wont be enough to do it other then small parasitic draw if it was unoccupied…if your staying in it and camping your gonna have a lot more power usage in 24 hours that a small solar charger can’t recoup…your better off getting at the very least a 100 watt suitcase solar panel…I have a 200 watt…there are some really experienced guys and gals on here that can help I’m sure.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #28
jack65

Yup, I'm will be at a remote lake campground with no hookups at all.
We made it last year with just two batteries and two Propane tanks.
This year we're staying an extra day to make it seven days.
This is where we're going for the sixth straight year, 2017 was the best year we had anywhere in my 68 years on earth:

Old 08-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
This is where we're going for the sixth straight year, 2017 was the best year we had anywhere in my 68 years on earth:

Wow looks really nice! Nice pictures also
Old 08-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

DO NOT TOW WITH THE TRAILER BATTERY DISCONNECTED !!!!!

The trailer battery is the only source of emergency braking for the trailer in the event of a "breakaway".... It is a legal requirement that all trailers weighing more than 3000 or 3500 pounds (weight limit varies from state to state). In the event that your trailer should uncouple from the tow vehicle, the trailer battery must be connected and operational to apply electricity to the trailer brakes. That is the only means of stopping the trailer, should the trailer hitch fail.

NEVER tow a trailer with electric brakes without a fully charged and connected battery installed in the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

DO NOT TOW WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED,! The battery is required to activate the brakes in the case the trailer disconnects from the truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #32
jack65

Not a battery question, but propane

Tied into the battery post, I still have the propane tank we used last year, we didn't use our second one which was in the back of the pickup. So I'm going to stop somewhere tomorrow at a gas station that allows refilling the tank without taking it off. My other one is still full.
My question is what do they mean by this:

...make sure you switch the regulator pointer to the full tank before removing the empty one...

...wait until the tank is empty and the auto-switch over regulator changes to the other tank...

Is it for when your setup for two tanks in the front? Or is it something I have to do even with one tank?
As you can tell, I'm still a newbie. Lifelong tent camper.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #33
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
DO NOT TOW WITH THE TRAILER BATTERY DISCONNECTED !!!!!

The trailer battery is the only source of emergency braking for the trailer in the event of a "breakaway".... It is a legal requirement that all trailers weighing more than 3000 or 3500 pounds (weight limit varies from state to state). In the event that your trailer should uncouple from the tow vehicle, the trailer battery must be connected and operational to apply electricity to the trailer brakes. That is the only means of stopping the trailer, should the trailer hitch fail.

NEVER tow a trailer with electric brakes without a fully charged and connected battery installed in the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
DO NOT TOW WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED,! The battery is required to activate the brakes in the case the trailer disconnects from the truck.
Yikes I guess I should have clarified when I said disconnect the battery
I was saying disconnect the battery while in storage…BUT I need to be careful how I explain things if someone interprets it wrong..sorry guys
Old 08-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Tied into the battery post, I still have the propane tank we used last year, we didn't use our second one which was in the back of the pickup. So I'm going to stop somewhere tomorrow at a gas station that allows refilling the tank without taking it off. My other one is still full.
My question is what do they mean by this:

...make sure you switch the regulator pointer to the full tank before removing the empty one...

...wait until the tank is empty and the auto-switch over regulator changes to the other tank...

Is it for when your setup for two tanks in the front? Or is it something I have to do even with one tank?
As you can tell, I'm still a newbie. Lifelong tent camper.

If you only have one tank in the front the auto changeover won't do anything for you. Just point the regulator at the only tank you have and leave it there. When refilling just turn the LP tank off and have it refilled, reconnect and SLOWLY open the valve. You should see the little green indicator on the regulator come on.

Is the trailer set up for 2 tanks? If so, why don't you just put the 2nd one on the trailer to get it out of your truck and use the auto changeover regulator?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #35
jack65

Quote:
If you only have one tank in the front the auto changeover won't do anything for you. Just point the regulator at the only tank you have and leave it there. When refilling just turn the LP tank off and have it refilled, reconnect and SLOWLY open the valve. You should see the little green indicator on the regulator come on.

Is the trailer set up for 2 tanks? If so, why don't you just put the 2nd one on the trailer to get it out of your truck and use the auto changeover regulator?
Nope, trailer came setup with just one tank. Probably because it's only small trailer at 14'. It's the same tank I used all week last year and I had a full one in my pickup bed, (secured of course). So I assume I shouldn't have to reset anything?

BTW, good thing not disconnecting the battery was clarified. I was thinking of doing that, but had already decided not to thinking something might be needed for it... now I know it's the brakes.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yikes I guess I should have clarified when I said disconnect the battery
I was saying disconnect the battery while in storage…BUT I need to be careful how I explain things if someone interprets it wrong..sorry guys
Jasin1,
My post was in response to the bolded comment in the post that is prior to your comments, so, your post wasn't the reason for clarification regarding towing with no battery power in the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

Samething here. Aparently John and I were responding at the szme time but he beat me to the post button.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Those are some great pics Jack and have me kicking myself from here to Sunday that I've sat here all of this summer (first one in the last 26 years) having surgeries and getting our roof replaced.

I love watching bald eagles but I have to say that Ospreys have a special place with me, they are just fantastic. Those were very good pictures and thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:31 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
As Jasin pointed out the 6 watt solar charger will be useless. Watts ÷volts = amps so 6 watts/12 volts = 0.5 amps. That's not enough to recharge your smart phone.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #40
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As Jasin pointed out the 6 watt solar charger will be useless. Watts ÷volts = amps so 6 watts/12 volts = 0.5 amps. That's not enough to recharge your smart phone.
Geeze, I wasted my $$$ huh? It says trickle charge on it... so what in the heck does it do then?

Tags
battery